5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BIGHORN gets Bilstein 5100’s

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the response. Guys like you make forums helpful. I can read and browse forums all day but reading so many different setups I end up getting lost in numbers. I did see last night a thread that mentioned the Fabtech 3". Back around 5 to 10 years ago or so, Fabtech used to be the modern day Rough Country, or Readylift setups. However, I see that they are using DirtLogic coilovers which seem to be on par with that of Icon, based on what I've read. Although Icons stage 4 and 5 also seem appealing as well. Not sure if I would need the compression adjustment on the stage 5 though as Im not blowing through trails at high speeds.
Like I said before happy to help! Fabtech isn’t bad. The auto group I used to work for has a GMC Franchise and they do A lots of fabtech lifts there. The dirt logic shocks are their in-house brand. I don’t have any experience with them personally.

DeDax

Reaction score
Happy to help! There’s a lot of options out there. What is your main use for the truck and will you be doing any off-road?
So the truck is a daily driver for me, I commute about 12 miles each way to work, so ride quality and driveability is important. The fam & I live in delaware and make regular trips to our drive on beaches and up into the mountains, mainly western Maryland for camping and some light trails. My goals would be to make my non orp laramie as off road capable as possible while retaining as much comfort and reliability in my daily commuter tasks. Lofty goals, lol. I prefer the OEM + look, clean, functional, understated, capable. If that makes sense.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
So the truck is a daily driver for me, I commute about 12 miles each way to work, so ride quality and driveability is important. The fam & I live in delaware and make regular trips to our drive on beaches and up into the mountains, mainly western Maryland for camping and some light trails. My goals would be to make my non orp laramie as off road capable as possible while retaining as much comfort and reliability in my daily commuter tasks. Lofty goals, lol. I prefer the OEM + look, clean, functional, understated, capable. If that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense. See if there is a ram dealer in your area that pre-loads trucks with the Mopar 2 inch lift kit. If they’ve got one on the showroom take it for a spin. That kit would be great. The Bilstein 5100 5160 option With icon springs and 0RP rear sway bar links would also work great.

DeDax

Reaction score
Yes, those are certainly the 2 set ups ive debated. I like the fact the mopar kit comes with the mopar UCA's and if I added the ORP springs to that set up I think it would be fairly complete and suit my needs. But also like the 5100/5160 set up as well, can also add ORP springs or Mopar UCA's and come up with a very similar set up and save a few hundred bucks.

deanno33

Reaction score
Thanks for insight, interesting that u noticed quite a difference between the 4 and 5 setting. I have non ORP 2 wd. Wanted a little height and ability to go with 285/60 tires, maybe setting 4 will work. Just assumed 5 as seems to be everyone’s preference

I went with #4 on non-ORP. I swear my truck is almost level and wish I would have used #3. I am in the minority and don't like the feel of the Bilsteins. I had 350 lbs in the bed last night and drove about 2 hours on the freeway / back roads. The front just seems bouncy and not well controlled to me. I want some rake back. That said, I get alot of compliments on the look....

DeDax

Reaction score
@ deanno33 do you have any photos of your set up?

DeDax

Reaction score
Looks really great. ****ty that you don't like the ride. Is it worse than stock or just not how you believed the Bilsteins would perform?

deanno33

Reaction score
Those ultra terrains (and wheels) look awesome!

Thanks. I definitely love the overall look. Just don't feel the front end is as controlled as stock. Not bad, but not what I was hoping for. Seems a little bouncy to me. Max psi on ultra terrains is like 51 I believe. Mine set at 38 cold and they are around 41 warmed up. May try to bring them down maybe 2 lbs and see if that helps. Overall wish I could bring the 5100s down to #3...but it was expensive to have them installed and it's basically going through the same process, along with another alignments.

DeDax

Reaction score
On 2 different threads multiple people reporting displeasure with the 5100's in regards to ride, noises & control. With so many people offering solid reviews in regards to those issues with the mopar/fox set up, I wonder if that is a better route?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It honestly comes down to what you want. I had the Mopar / Fox combo and was very happy with the ride. What I was not happy with was the fact it didn’t look like a 4x4 truck..

DeDax

Reaction score
Porboy, how are you liking the BDS set up you are currently running?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I LOVE it, it’s safe to say it’s ok ha ha ha . No really I do love it. :)

DeDax

Reaction score
Probably the wrong thread, but does the BDS lift come with same Fox shocks as in the mopar lift, or are they specifically tuned for BDS?

JRAM

Reaction score
Wow do I feel completely overwhelmed! Found myself reading some of the threads trying to see what people like and find my head spinning. I've got a 2019 Longhorn 6.4' bed that rides super plush. Spend my days traveling on the highway, got 40,000 miles in first year and itching to give this thing a little more aggressive look. Also struggle bad with major sag when towing a trailer or any heavy load so was seriously considering adding air lift bags with wireless remote and then doing a level kit but the debate I hear is do I just use the Bilstein 5100/5160 packaging or do I also need to replace the UCA. Dealer in my area suggested just putting a Zone UCA and never stated anything about the Bilsteins. Living on the highway I hate to give up my plush ride.

Sugar

Reaction score
Would bilsteins at max setting ruin ride quality? Such as lack of compression/rebound? Would 35s fit on a bilstein/icon/uca setup compared to a less desired 3.5 leveling kit? I only ask this for the ram because I had a leveling kit with eibachs on my last truck (colorado z71) and it felt a tad more on the harsher side.
I'm also wonder if anyone has any experience with a non-orp at setting 7 and how they felt the ride was. I know this will differ from stock, but how much is what I wonder.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm also wonder if anyone has any experience with a non-orp at setting 7 and how they felt the ride was. I know this will differ from stock, but how much is what I wonder.

Non-ORP at #7 should be pretty similar to ORP at #5 since the ORP spring makes up about 1” of ride height difference.

I can only tell you my experience, but ORP on #5 was quite a bit stiffer than stock. Potholes and other bumps in the road were pretty sharp hit. I backed mine off to #4... not honestly expecting it to be much better but it actually improved the ride quality quite a lot. #5 is the max recommended setting for ORP springs and I was honestly pretty dissatisfied with the ride quality.

Some guys seem to not be bothered by it, but that was my experience. I’m happy with the setup one position away from max.

justinbeez

Reaction score
Non-ORP at #7 should be pretty similar to ORP at #5 since the ORP spring makes up about 1” of ride height difference.

I can only tell you my experience, but ORP on #5 was quite a bit stiffer than stock. Potholes and other bumps in the road were pretty sharp hit. I backed mine off to #4... not honestly expecting it to be much better but it actually improved the ride quality quite a lot. #5 is the max recommended setting for ORP springs and I was honestly pretty dissatisfied with the ride quality.

Some guys seem to not be bothered by it, but that was my experience. I’m happy with the setup one position away from max.

Whats the level/rake look like? I'm assuming you have orp rear springs as well.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whats the level/rake look like? I'm assuming you have orp rear springs as well.

That was a primary reason I went back down to #4. Once I put my Retrax pro metal cover on, I ended up 1/4” lower in the back. #4 put me about 3/8” lower in the front. I didn’t expect the ride to change much, but was happily surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread