5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best speedometer recalibration tool

davidn0021

Reaction score
Looking at that RC recalibrator and it doesn't appear to support the 2021 models. Has anyone tried on their 2021?

doolin64

Reaction score
I haven't tried it to be honest. I just park on my own. My Jeep GC I traded in for the Ram had park assist and I used it 2x, once to back in and once to parallel just to test it and never used it again. Next time I'm out I'll give it a test.
@Truckguy yes, @gzgg99 did and he has not noticed any issues. The issue if there is one only pertains to park assist function. Gzgg99 was going to test it out and let us know if it works. I could live with that function not working as long as i don't get error codes and screw anything else up.

gzgg99

Reaction score
@Truckguy yes, @gzgg99 did and he has not noticed any issues. The issue if there is one only pertains to park assist function. Gzgg99 was going to test it out and let us know if it works. I could live with that function not working as long as i don't get error codes and screw anything else up.
damn Covid, I haven't had a chance to test it yet because I have NO WHERE to go. I'll make it a point to do so, at least the backing in function. Not many parallel parking spots in my area.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
damn Covid, I haven't had a chance to test it yet because I have NO WHERE to go. I'll make it a point to do so, at least the backing in function. Not many parallel parking spots in my area.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
I’ve said that too. Gas is cheaper than ever but nowhere to go, been working from home 10 months now (Commute is 100 mls/day). I bet RAM is happy with my 7 years unlimited miles warranty. Got my RC today. Hope to use it this weekend, the tires measure 33” high on the truck. I’ll report back when done.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
So... ran the software update through the pc (don’t know if it did anything) an took the thing into the garage. Getting it hooked up to the ”green block” was the only challenge. I’m 6’7” and have shovels for hands. You have to get in a certain position, thank God for the Jesus handle (and a flash light). There’s 2 rows in the green block, right side seemed all used but bottom of left was empty. Even with my cheaters I couldn’t see what was up ur down on the plug, I had to plug it in by feel. If it helps anyone, i paid attention when unplugging it and the indent goes on the bottom (down). Running the update itself was super easy following instructions on the display, only took a few minutes.
Probably will have to wait till Saturday to verify against the Garmin.

davidn0021

Reaction score
So... ran the software update through the pc (don’t know if it did anything) an took the thing into the garage. Getting it hooked up to the ”green block” was the only challenge. I’m 6’7” and have shovels for hands. You have to get in a certain position, thank God for the Jesus handle (and a flash light). There’s 2 rows in the green block, right side seemed all used but bottom of left was empty. Even with my cheaters I couldn’t see what was up ur down on the plug, I had to plug it in by feel. If it helps anyone, i paid attention when unplugging it and the indent goes on the bottom (down). Running the update itself was super easy following instructions on the display, only took a few minutes.
Probably will have to wait till Saturday to verify against the Garmin.
Do you have park assist? Not sure what year/model you have...

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
Do you have park assist? Not sure what year/model you have...
‘19 Laramie (with park assist, which supposedly is supported for that year). Just drove it a bit, now the speedometer is up to 1 mile higher than the Garmin and the rader speed thing down the road. Not sure if going up .25 would flip me back to going faster than the speedometer.
I tend to get obsessed easily. The way it is, tire wear will probably make the speedometer grow into the current calibration eventually.

davidn0021

Reaction score
‘19 Laramie (with park assist, which supposedly is supported for that year). Just drove it a bit, now the speedometer is up to 1 mile higher than the Garmin and the rader speed thing down the road. Not sure if going up .25 would flip me back to going faster than the speedometer.
I tend to get obsessed easily. The way it is, tire wear will probably make the speedometer grow into the current calibration eventually.
Gotcha. Yeah, on the site it says that model isn't compatible with 2021 models w/ park assist. Gonna try calling and asking directly to see if it's a big issue if I'm only affecting the spedometer and not anything else.

gzgg99

Reaction score
I tested my park assist tonight, for backing in. It found a spot and was backing me in. It was dark and raining in a busy parking lot, so I aborted midway through b/c it appeared to be backing me into the side of the car next to me. However, that car pulled in while I was backing into the spot next to it, so perhaps it confused the system. I had another car waiting to back out, so I said screw it and finished on my own. Hard to say if it would have worked and if it didn't - was it because of the recalibration tool or the level I put on the truck with the bigger tires? I'll try again during the day and/or when it's not raining and so busy in the lot.

Builderdude

Reaction score
First time post here, but I have the same question as David. I have a 2021 BTS without park assist. I went from the Falken 32" to NItto 34"(Same weight as the original 32") and was hoping to calibrate the speedometer. My dealer said they did not have the updated software for 2021's yet. I called roughcountry and the person said their software was not compatible for 2021 models yet either. Has anyone tried it on a 2021 with any success?

doolin64

Reaction score
First time post here, but I have the same question as David. I have a 2021 BTS without park assist. I went from the Falken 32" to NItto 34"(Same weight as the original 32") and was hoping to calibrate the speedometer. My dealer said they did not have the updated software for 2021's yet. I called roughcountry and the person said their software was not compatible for 2021 models yet either. Has anyone tried it on a 2021 with any success?
Post right above you has a 2021 and he has used it successfully with no issues.

Builderdude

Reaction score
Post right above you has a 2021 and he has used it successfully with no issues.
I think he was using the flashcal and not the roughcountry. I could be incorrect on that though but I should have been clearer that I am asking about the roughcountry calibration tool.

doolin64

Reaction score
You are correct. He was using the Flashcal not the RC. Sorry about that, I was confused myself and thought he was was using the RC one.

Builderdude

Reaction score
I received the rough country speedometer calibration tool this morning from American Truck. They told me they would pay return shipping on it if it did not work on a 2021 5.7 e-torque Ram, so I ordered it and received it next day. I was able to plug it in on the far left side right behind the parking brake button. This is a tough location to get to, but it is doable. I have the Nitto 275/65/20 tires that I measured at 33" from the ground (Nitto says they are 34.1"). I used 33" for the tire size programming and went for an 8 mile drive. The speedometer and odometer was dead on with GPS. I expect over a full tank of gas that the MPG will go up about 6-7% since the Nittos are the same weight as the OEM Falkens but 2" taller. My truck is the 3.92 rear end and eco mode didnt come on much before the programmer. Havent driven it far enough to notice any difference on that. I have not seen any indication of faults with the programming but will let you all know if any issues show up. So for those interested, the RC does seem to work with the 2021 RAM 1500 with e-torque.

armymp1130

Reaction score
question i have the rough country tool and tomorrow i am going in for an alignment my question is should i remove device before alignment ? or should i be fine its an alignment at the dealer so idk if they just align it or if they plug it in to check other stuff

Builderdude

Reaction score
question i have the rough country tool and tomorrow i am going in for an alignment my question is should i remove device before alignment ? or should i be fine its an alignment at the dealer so idk if they just align it or if they plug it in to check other stuff
If they dont hook up any diagnostic machine up to your truck or do any ecm updates you should be ok. I dont see why they would for an alignment but it may be part of their standard practice for a new truck under warranty. Rough Country does state in their instructions that " ANYTIME a diagnostic machine is to be used, the vehicle MUST have the stock tuning installed. Diagnostic machines expect to find the original stock tuning and often cannot correctly analyze the problem if other tuning devices are installed." Which makes me wonder if those folks who had the dealers update their tire size using the flashcal would need to do that also.

Last edited:

gzgg99

Reaction score
I attempted to do the self park again today, backing in. It was slow to find a spot and when it did, it was forward and back over and over to the point it was embarrassing if anyone thought I was trying to self park it. It may have figured it out eventually, but it wasn't worth it. I don't think it works...at least backing in. I still need to test parallel.

I changed more than just the tire size though. It would have been interesting to test it after the bigger tires but before I recalibrated, then after I recalibrated but before I leveled it and then again after I leveled it. All of those are variables that can mess with how the sensors see the open space and how it calculated how to back in. However, I put the tires on, recalibrated and leveled, then tested. So it's hard to say what variable broke it. The proximity sensors all still work fine.

frostymug

Reaction score
My dealer recalibrate mine I had to buy a fca package for $125 and hr of tech time.
Did you get details on what this package is? My dealer told me the same thing. It’s some service package for 2 months and on top of that I pay the 1 hour fee. Sounds like BS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread