5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best speedometer recalibration tool

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
I went from 55's to 60's as well and used the Rough Country. Once you are calibrated, the shift points will adjust accordingly automatically. When I was driving with the 60's before the calibration, the truck shift points felt off. After the calibration, the shift points felt normal again.
Can UI ask question, what does changing the rear sway bar accomplish? Is the one installed from the factory bad or just a general upgrade to make it better?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Used a Tazer for my Jeeps, will probably use one for my Ram. No learning curve and adjusts a few things for you. Works by using the cruise buttons on the steering wheel.

louscrw

Reaction score
Really? Can someone with the NAV system confirm this? Thanks
I can confirm the GPS does NOT recalibrate the the speedo.

I need to get a tool for my 21. I went from factory 22s down to 295/70R18 and my speedo is off by about 5mph at highway speed compared to the GPS in my radar detector

JbVt

Reaction score
I can confirm the GPS does NOT recalibrate the the speedo.

I need to get a tool for my 21. I went from factory 22s down to 295/70R18 and my speedo is off by about 5mph at highway speed compared to the GPS in my radar detector
Thank you. Was kinda skeptical on that.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can UI ask question, what does changing the rear sway bar accomplish? Is the one installed from the factory bad or just a general upgrade to make it better?
I think the biggest difference I noticed is that there is less body roll in turns and corners; makes it feel a little more planted. I've had my Hellwig for so long now that I don't think much about it; but I remember when I first put it on that it was a very noticeable difference in the handling.

cdpoole

Reaction score
I just used the RC for my truck, 2019 Bighorn and encountered no issues. The install and program were easy and instructions were spot on. The green block behind the dash is the most difficult part, wish it could just use the OBD port. Calibration is extremely close, my gps shows about 1mph off, I may up the number in the future, but then again only 1mph off at 70 may not really be worth the effort.
Does your truck have the parksense parking sensors? The recal didn't mess with them?

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
I think the biggest difference I noticed is that there is less body roll in turns and corners; makes it feel a little more planted. I've had my Hellwig for so long now that I don't think much about it; but I remember when I first put it on that it was a very noticeable difference in the handling.
Can you tell me where you purchased your Hellwig and approx. how long did it take you to change it out?

JeremyFOwens

Reaction score
Not to highjack this thread but what is the best tool that will include letting me fold in my mirrors automatically when vehicle is off?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I think This one by rough country is not compatible if you have park assist, Pretty sure that it is stated on website but it does have reset to stock tires,
not sure if it actually saves the original calibrations , But if you change or lift your truck you pretty much lose your warranty unless you can proof the suspension has nothing to do with the problem you need warranty on, I wonder if someone here ever had warranty work after lifting truck?
Yeah I can confirm if you lift the truck and the dealership wasn’t the one who lifted it, FCA will tell you to kick rocks no matter how high up the chain you go. They don’t care at all about “proving” if the mods caused the damage, their response to me was basically “ha..go ahead and get a lawyer, our pockets are deeper than yours and our lawyers are better”

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’ve held off doing this mod because with 35s I feel like the shift points are totally normal and I like that the truck actual registers less miles on the odometer than I’ve actually driven. Now I bought some 37s so I’ll have to see how the truck drives without recalibration. It would be nice to have the truck show 14% less miles than it’s actually driven, but having my Speedo off 10mph most of the time might get frustrating lol

Builderdude

Reaction score
I noticed rough country speedometer calibrator now officially supports the 2021 Ram 1500 with an updated software version. I had calibrated my 2021 BTS with the 2020 firmware and it has not had any issues. I want to update to the latest rough country software though. My question is, do I need to reinstall the original ram firmware back on the truck before updating the calibration tool with the latest firmware?

Jonesey

Reaction score
That's interesting, my dealer told me that Ram does not provide them access to the software like Jeep does, they have to use a calibration tool and my dealer uses the Superchip Flashcal to do it. They said they could take my VIN and order it and then provide the calibration service. I cut out the middle man, ordered it myself (I'm sure for less money than they'd charge me) and then took 15 minutes to program it myself. I'm sure there are people who are more comfortable letting the dealer do it so if it's screwed up, it's on the dealer. I was willing to take the risk and if I screwed up I'd have to pay on the dealer on the backend to fix it. Thankfully it turned out good for me.
I just bought the same calibration tool and it did change my speed but has disabled several features of the truck. Both front and back sensor, satellite radio and more is all turned off. Did you have this problem and if so how did you work around it?

Jonesey

Reaction score
I noticed rough country speedometer calibrator now officially supports the 2021 Ram 1500 with an updated software version. I had calibrated my 2021 BTS with the 2020 firmware and it has not had any issues. I want to update to the latest rough country software though. My question is, do I need to reinstall the original ram firmware back on the truck before updating the calibration tool with the latest firmware?
I tried the rough country and it worked but several of my trucks functions stopped working. I just tried the Superchip and it is the same way. Did you have this problem and how did you work around it?

Builderdude

Reaction score
I tried the rough country and it worked but several of my trucks functions stopped working. I just tried the Superchip and it is the same way. Did you have this problem and how did you work around it?
I did not have any issues with the rough country. My park assist sensors are still working. What stopped working on your truck?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Yesterday I attempted to use AlfaOBD to recalibrate my speedometer. I used the Tire Size AlfaOBD instructions that were posted here and for the life of me I can't get it done. First of all, the drop down menus have changed, so there aren't exact matches for some of the selections. Second, there are now drop down menus in the Body computer for MY2019, 2020, and 2021 PowerNet. I've tried MY2013-17 PowerNet and 2021 PowerNet and no matter what, I get a pop up that says, ECU Verification Failed...(see attached pic below). If click continue I can go to the next step. I click on the car with the open hood, Program Tire Size, enter 2576 in circumference box, press START. Cycle the ignition to OFF and wait one minute. Then back to RUN. It says my instrument cluster should be lit up....NOPE!

After that it says, go into Car Configuration Change > Select Vehconfig 4-dynamic tire circumference.(all or rear) Enter 2576 in the box, START.

ABS Module Reset
Ram1500
ABS....Select ABS ATE/Continental Well, that one doesn't exist. I selected whichever one was the closest to that wording.

Then I try the rest with clearing the faults in the Static ECU Initialization but there aren't any faults to clear.

That's as far as I got. Can anyone with AlfaOBD experience tell me what am I doing wrong? I'm not a Luddite by any stretch but AlfaOBD is more complicated than it should be. I think I'll just get the Rough Country Tool but I need to determine if it works with ParkSense® Front and Rear Park–Assist with Stop.

Screenshot_20210728-185314_AlfaOBD.jpg

Last edited:

DieselRebel

Reaction score
Here is a video I made to change tire size on 2020 Ram 1500 with Alfa OBD
Note: Tire circumference is in millimeters to get that do this equation:
π*diameter*25.4
So, 3.14*33"*25.4 = 2632 mm

Price for each product:
Alfa OBD app on Google Play: $49
SGW bypass cable: $22.99
OBD 2 bluetooth scanner: $20.99

Only around $93 if you already have an android tablet or phone which is cheaper than Rough country or Hypertech and you can do heck of a lot more with AlfaOBD

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Thanks to your video, I was able to successfully program my speedometer! During the ABS step, I wasn't tapping the reconnected button and that would explain why I wasn't getting the fault lights.

It took me two tries to get the tire size correct. I measured tires and the circumference was 2567mm's. That size was still 1 mph off. I went back into AlfaOBD and entered 2625mm's. That was dead nuts on. If you're running 305/55R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, that's your number.

The RC states is not compatible with "parking assist" on 2020 + models.

The owners manual mentions the two options listed below, they both mention park assist. I have the first one (PARKSENSE FRONT AND REAR PARK ASSIST), i do not have the other option. My question, is the RC imcompatible with both options or only the second option? Thanks in advance.

PARKSENSE FRONT AND REAR PARK ASSIST - front and rear sensors to indicate distance from the bumpers to surrounding objects and will apply rear brakes as needed.

PARKSENSE ACTIVE PARK ASSIST SYSTEM — IF EQUIPPED - this is the system that semi-automatically parks your vehicle.
I just got an email from Rough Country and they said that their tool is not compatible with either feature on the 2021's.

cervelo15

Reaction score
So I’m about to get tires mounted up this week and want to reprogram the speedometer. I have AppleOS al around, so guess is to get an Android OS device and all the connections For it? This stinks that these tools aren’t Apple specific. Is there a comparable software that works with AppleOS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/