5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best speedometer recalibration tool

sd2134

Reaction score
The RC states is not compatible with "parking assist" on 2020 + models.

The owners manual mentions the two options listed below, they both mention park assist. I have the first one (PARKSENSE FRONT AND REAR PARK ASSIST), i do not have the other option. My question, is the RC imcompatible with both options or only the second option? Thanks in advance.

PARKSENSE FRONT AND REAR PARK ASSIST - front and rear sensors to indicate distance from the bumpers to surrounding objects and will apply rear brakes as needed.

PARKSENSE ACTIVE PARK ASSIST SYSTEM — IF EQUIPPED - this is the system that semi-automatically parks your vehicle.

obrien

Reaction score
First time post here, but I have the same question as David. I have a 2021 BTS without park assist. I went from the Falken 32" to NItto 34"(Same weight as the original 32") and was hoping to calibrate the speedometer. My dealer said they did not have the updated software for 2021's yet. I called roughcountry and the person said their software was not compatible for 2021 models yet either. Has anyone tried it on a 2021 with any success?
I also have BTS and I upgraded to the same tires. Dealer wanted $350 for recalibration, so I got alphaOBD, BT diagnostic module and bypass all for under $100 and did it myself. It was easy if you follow guide. I higly recomend this way

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
I just used the RC for my truck, 2019 Bighorn and encountered no issues. The install and program were easy and instructions were spot on. The green block behind the dash is the most difficult part, wish it could just use the OBD port. Calibration is extremely close, my gps shows about 1mph off, I may up the number in the future, but then again only 1mph off at 70 may not really be worth the effort.

kittyjo

Reaction score
I just used the RC for my truck, 2019 Bighorn and encountered no issues. The install and program were easy and instructions were spot on. The green block behind the dash is the most difficult part, wish it could just use the OBD port. Calibration is extremely close, my gps shows about 1mph off, I may up the number in the future, but then again only 1mph off at 70 may not really be worth the effort.
Just plug it back in and go down .25 and shud be dead on... mines dead on!!

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
Just plug it back in and go down .25 and shud be dead on... mines dead on!!
That is what I was thinking, but I currently have a neck injury and didn't really enjoy crawling under the dash too much. It will annoy me enough that eventually I will recalibrate, LOL

Mhorton814

Reaction score
Ok, I'm following this now. I'm going from the stock wranglers and stock 18" wheels on my bighorn to Ram Luxury 20's with 275/60/20's on the wheels. A lot more in this than just putting them on and going as I thought it would be. Sounds like the RC option is pretty good for what I need as far as speedometer and gear shifting. This may be a dumb question, but do you need to leave this calibrator plugged in after calibration or can you unplug it?

kittyjo

Reaction score
Ok, I'm following this now. I'm going from the stock wranglers and stock 18" wheels on my bighorn to Ram Luxury 20's with 275/60/20's on the wheels. A lot more in this than just putting them on and going as I thought it would be. Sounds like the RC option is pretty good for what I need as far as speedometer and gear shifting. This may be a dumb question, but do you need to leave this calibrator plugged in after calibration or can you unplug it?
U can unplug it.. but I wud make sure before u do that your mph is accurate , that way if u need to adjust its already plugged in.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
I kept only the cable plugged in for a while and “tied” it up in the grab handle in case I needed adjustment.
Easiest is probably to roll it up and hide it somewhere down there for the event the dealer needs to mess with software.

frostymug

Reaction score
I also have BTS and I upgraded to the same tires. Dealer wanted $350 for recalibration, so I got alphaOBD, BT diagnostic module and bypass all for under $100 and did it myself. It was easy if you follow guide. I higly recomend this way
Would you mind sharing info on how you did this? Or is there a link or video you can link to that will help? Not familiar with what exactly I would need to buy either. Thanks!

RottenGrinch

Reaction score
Just FYI to anyone who is going to use a speedo calibrator that requires you to plug into the green block connector under the dash… there is no need to stand on your head to get under the dash and access the connector. The dash panel that the headlight switch is mounted in unclips. Simply pull on the right side of the panel in the gap opening for the steering column and pull. The connector is right behind it. ADC62E01-9897-4ABF-9CB2-82CA5414E03B.jpeg

gzgg99

Reaction score
Just FYI to anyone who is going to use a speedo calibrator that requires you to plug into the green block connector under the dash… there is no need to stand on your head to get under the dash and access the connector. The dash panel that the headlight switch is mounted in unclips. Simply pull on the right side of the panel in the gap opening for the steering column and pull. The connector is right behind it. View attachment 87198
I stood on my head, wish I had known this before :)

X4H

Reaction score
To anyone that used the Rough Country...
I'm not super up on mechanical stuff, but I went up a size from 55s to 60 on 20's.

What is the deal with shift points? Is this something I need to deal with? I just got the tires a few days ago and I drive a lot of expressway, so I haven't really had a lot of time with feeling it out yet.

JbVt

Reaction score
May be a dumb question but does anything have to be changed in the Uconnect nav system for it to navigate/track correctly after changing tire size and calibrating? Or is the nav strictly off gps?

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
May be a dumb question but does anything have to be changed in the Uconnect nav system for it to navigate/track correctly after changing tire size and calibrating? Or is the nav strictly off gps?
Rumor has it that if you have the Nav system it will re-calibrate the speedometer for you

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Overall does changing your wheel size and tire size increase better traction for the vehicle? Can the speedometer be rest at the dealership if you put on larger tires?

doolin64

Reaction score
Overall does changing your wheel size and tire size increase better traction for the vehicle? Can the speedometer be rest at the dealership if you put on larger tires?

Yes, depending on what tires you go with you should definitely better offroad traction. Dealers can fix the speedometer, but it's hit an miss with the dealers. You'll find dealers that have no idea what you're talking about and you'll have dealers who have no problem doing it.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Yes, depending on what tires you go with you should definitely better offroad traction. Dealers can fix the speedometer, but it's hit an miss with the dealers. You'll find dealers that have no idea what you're talking about and you'll have dealers who have no problem doing it.
What should i explain to the dealership that I want to do so they understand me in lamens terms

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To anyone that used the Rough Country...
I'm not super up on mechanical stuff, but I went up a size from 55s to 60 on 20's.

What is the deal with shift points? Is this something I need to deal with? I just got the tires a few days ago and I drive a lot of expressway, so I haven't really had a lot of time with feeling it out yet.
I went from 55's to 60's as well and used the Rough Country. Once you are calibrated, the shift points will adjust accordingly automatically. When I was driving with the 60's before the calibration, the truck shift points felt off. After the calibration, the shift points felt normal again.

Users who are viewing this thread