5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best speedometer recalibration tool

Truckguy

Reaction score
Looking for some insight on what is the best speedometer recalibration tool. I have looked at the rough country and the superchip version. There’s $100 difference in price. Anyone used the superchip? Any issue with the rough country tool?

Texas_Ram

Reaction score
I just used the rough country on mine 2 days ago. Works great, easy install. Speedometer is accurate again as well as the way the truck runs/shifts.

Truckguy

Reaction score
I just used the rough country on mine 2 days ago. Works great, easy install. Speedometer is accurate again as well as the way the truck runs/shifts.
How did you check your speed against the newly recalibrated speed?

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
AlphaOBD... very easy if you watch the video and become familiar with the tool. $50. $25 for a bluetooth OBD2 connector and $25 for the security module. Not to mention all the other functions you get with alfaOBd and the OBD2 can be used on other cars with freeware too.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Superchips looks nicer and has the ability to tune if you unlock your computer, but it appears the Rough Country does the trick for tires if that's what you're looking for. I've been looking at Alpha ODB, but not sure if I want to go down that spiral. Was also considering the stealership as I only really need the speedo recalibrated, depending on what they charge I'll probably end up with Rough Country

Last edited:

Truckguy

Reaction score
Superchips looks nicer and has the ability to tune if you unlock your computer, but it appears the Rough Country does the trick for tires if that's what you're looking for. I've been looking at Alpha ODB, but not sure if I want to go down that spiral. Was also considering the stealership as I only really need the speedo recalibrated, depending on what they charge I'll probably end up with Rough Country
My dealership quoted me a price of $100 to recalibrate. So a few dollars more and I have the tool

Jimmymc

Reaction score
Any idea if the RC will work on a 21? I am weary to go the AlfaOBD and would prefer the simplicity of the RC unit.
I haven’t got the truck yet but am trying to do some Pre planning before delivery

gzgg99

Reaction score
Any idea if the RC will work on a 21? I am weary to go the AlfaOBD and would prefer the simplicity of the RC unit.
I haven’t got the truck yet but am trying to do some Pre planning before delivery
First post, I've been lurking since I bought my '21 Limited two weeks ago. I already leveled mine and put bigger tires on it (it's at the shop getting an alignment right now). I called my dealership about recalibrating the speedo. They said they use FlashCal, which I had researched but found that it's only compatible with the '19s and '20s. The service writer told me they've used it on 9 or 10 '21s so far and it works. My Flashcal is supposed to show up today. I'll reply back after I test it out, but given the dealer was willing to do the recalibration with the Flashcal for me, I'm assuming it should be good to go.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
First post, I've been lurking since I bought my '21 Limited two weeks ago. I already leveled mine and put bigger tires on it (it's at the shop getting an alignment right now). I called my dealership about recalibrating the speedo. They said they use FlashCal, which I had researched but found that it's only compatible with the '19s and '20s. The service writer told me they've used it on 9 or 10 '21s so far and it works. My Flashcal is supposed to show up today. I'll reply back after I test it out, but given the dealer was willing to do the recalibration with the Flashcal for me, I'm assuming it should be good to go.
Thx for the info. Pls post back to let us know how it went ;)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you have a link o the Flashcal you purchased?

gzgg99

Reaction score
Do you have a link o the Flashcal you purchased?
Here's the link:

Really easy to do and my speedo is spot on with the GPS on my phone now. Make sure you measure the actual height of your tires, not the stated height on the tire documentation, they compress a bit under the weight of the truck. My tire's stated height vs. measure height was 3/4" different.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here's the link:

Really easy to do and my speedo is spot on with the GPS on my phone now. Make sure you measure the actual height of your tires, not the stated height on the tire documentation, they compress a bit under the weight of the truck. My tire's stated height vs. measure height was 3/4" different.
I've always been a big SuperChips fan...great equipment!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Here's the link:

Sweet. Glad it works as advertised.

Jimmymc

Reaction score
I would assume (hopefully) that if the flashcal is listed as working for the 19’s and 20’s but also works on the 21’s than the RC unit should be the same. I’m going to go ahead and order and and give it a go whenever my truck actually shows up.

mays9185

Reaction score
Looking for some insight on what is the best speedometer recalibration tool. I have looked at the rough country and the superchip version. There’s $100 difference in price. Anyone used the superchip? Any issue with the rough country tool?
My dealer recalibrate mine I had to buy a fca package for $125 and hr of tech time.

gzgg99

Reaction score
My dealer recalibrate mine I had to buy a fca package for $125 and hr of tech time.
That's interesting, my dealer told me that Ram does not provide them access to the software like Jeep does, they have to use a calibration tool and my dealer uses the Superchip Flashcal to do it. They said they could take my VIN and order it and then provide the calibration service. I cut out the middle man, ordered it myself (I'm sure for less money than they'd charge me) and then took 15 minutes to program it myself. I'm sure there are people who are more comfortable letting the dealer do it so if it's screwed up, it's on the dealer. I was willing to take the risk and if I screwed up I'd have to pay on the dealer on the backend to fix it. Thankfully it turned out good for me.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am surprised they charged a FULL hour of tech time for a 10-15 minute job:oops: I guess they think none of us know any better.....

mays9185

Reaction score
My dealer did mine had to buy a fca package for $125 and hr of tech time with test drive. And everything works don't let a dealer say no. Because they can they may not know they can.

ArtieD

Reaction score
Bought the RC speedo calibrator worked great , shift points work better I think ,it seems to stay in gear longer as you accelerate , but even before calibration the 8 SPD with 37 inch tires shifted pretty good, the tool can also read codes and clear them, so not a total loss, still will be a useful tool for 140 bucks,

Users who are viewing this thread