5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best CAI

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do some research. I just read an article about CAI’s and the lack of actual added horsepower. Unless you plan on a big build, the air intake system on the 19 is pretty **** good! I don’t feel, personally, that spending $400 plus is worth it for little to no gains.
AFE has sale promotions quite often...up to 20% off.
You get what you pay for. You bought a Limited, you should be able to relate
True Fact... I got my afe stage 2 cai which generally goes for $348.00 for $245.00 through one of their promos...

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, the bottom line on CAI seems to be this...if you like the sound and the butt dyno appeal, then get it. If those things aren't important to you, don't worry about it because the gains we are all looking for aren't going to be there. The ONLY time I've had a CAI make a noticeable difference was when I put a K&N on my 2003 Cobra...the other ones I bought were for the NA autos I've had and they've just produced noise with little or no gains. Even the one I installed in my 2003 IS300 with the piggyback ECU was nearly pointless, but I liked the sound and I felt like there was a tiny gain in throttle response. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Totally agree with you @tincup33. I have had my share of these as well. K&N, Airaid, etc. on prior vehicles over the years. No one will truly experience any gain in performance but they will hear it based on model of intake and type of housing and filter. Some like the under the hood looks of it...others like the noise they make but you won't feel any increase in performance nor will you see any additional mpg benefits. With that being said, I am still interested to see if they'll do a group by and get this down to $250 or less with free shipping. Gotta spend that $250 BonusDrive check coming in the mail soon ;)
I will chime in and agree with this statement. I actually experienced a slight yet noticeable decrease in acceleration after installing the afe stage 2 cai from the stock but The sound was satisfying enough to justify the purchase when paired with my magnaflow exhaust...

josepy121380

Reaction score
Just put my afe on last night and I really like it. I noticed a pick up in throttle response and my exhaust note was a tad louder too. I have the B2b magnaflow on.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Just put my afe on last night and I really like it. I noticed a pick up in throttle response and my exhaust note was a tad louder too. I have the B2b magnaflow on.

That's what I need next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffK2019

Reaction score
For those looking to just remove the secondary carbon filter - I found it was easy to just use a small drill to drill out the plastic rivets. They are fairly soft. The frame is pretty fragile so just forcing it out will probably crack it. Drilling the rivets out allowed the frame to pop out easily. I can now always screw it back in or glue it later if needed for emissions issues, smog testing, etc...

Others have mentioned this also - but while that filter looks pretty innocent just sitting there, on removal it's thicker than it looks and I blew some air through it - it is certainly restrictive.

I have an idea for a stock airbox mod I may try - not really on topic with aftermarket CAI so will create a new post - but those reading this post if you can give me input on that thread that would be great.

Attachments

• airbox_1.jpeg
    airbox_1.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 205
  • airbox_2.jpeg
    airbox_2.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 203
  • airbox_3.jpeg
    airbox_3.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 203
  • airbox_4.jpeg
    airbox_4.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 204
  • airbox_5.jpeg
    airbox_5.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 202
  • airbox_6.jpeg
    airbox_6.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 201

2Fast-4U

Reaction score
So I ask the question, given the $ you'd spend on someone's CAI system, and the minimal difference in performance, are you further ahead to take out the carbon filter, drop in a K&N filter, or your choice of equivalent filter, and spend the additional $ somewhere else, say on a Pulsar?

SColang22

Reaction score
So I ask the question, given the $ you'd spend on someone's CAI system, and the minimal difference in performance, are you further ahead to take out the carbon filter, drop in a K&N filter, or your choice of equivalent filter, and spend the additional $ somewhere else, say on a Pulsar?
Depends on what you want to do with your truck. A CAI is going to set you up for other mods like a tune. Someone on YouTube put the pulsar on a dyno and go a 10hp bump. If you want real performance gains the money is better spent on a CAI and a custom tune but if you just want a little bit to me it’s a toss up. I picked up .2 on my 60 with just the afe intake. I haven’t 60’d with the pulsar yet but plan to this summer

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its purely a personal choice thing. I like the look of the S&B when i open the hood. Just like you could say the same thing about a leveling kit or most any physical mod, save money here to spend it there. We all spend where WE feel happy about the money we spent!

2Fast-4U

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I actually want to do both a CAI & the Pulsar. I do like the S&B and would really like a Diablo Sport Reaper Tune if it was ever available. But I am almost willing to try taking the Carbon filter out, drop in the K&N and pair with the pulsar first to see what it gives me. I have dumped plenty of $ in the Harley and my sleds trying to get what I like best, it's a never ending pit! Why not do the same with my new Ram too!

Truckin

Reaction score
Hopefully will settle the 'performance gain' discussion on CAI and Cat Back Exhaust soon...I have an appointment at a local Dyno shop next Thursday morning to run baseline HP readings (should be just over 3000 miles and have already done my first oil change to full synthetic) Later in May I will do another Dyno test after installing my Borla Touring (with resonator) and AFE Momentum CAI. Will post baseline figures next week and post second numbers after next run. I am running 91 octane, using full synthetic oil and will be doing both Dyno runs at the same time of day, on same machine with same Dyno tech. Should be interesting!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hopefully will settle the 'performance gain' discussion on CAI and Cat Back Exhaust soon...I have an appointment at a local Dyno shop next Thursday morning to run baseline HP readings (should be just over 3000 miles and have already done my first oil change to full synthetic) Later in May I will do another Dyno test after installing my Borla Touring (with resonator) and AFE Momentum CAI. Will post baseline figures next week and post second numbers after next run. I am running 91 octane, using full synthetic oil and will be doing both Dyno runs at the same time of day, on same machine with same Dyno tech. Should be interesting!
Looking forward to seeing what your findings are.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When my afe stage 2 arrived at my door it came packaged with the blue oiled filter instead of the grey dry filter i ordered. I was way too excited and anxious to get it on my truck i didn't care much... Would the dry filter allow more air-flow than the oiled one??

SColang22

Reaction score
When my afe stage 2 arrived at my door it came packaged with the blue oiled filter instead of the grey dry filter i ordered. I was way too excited and anxious to get it on my truck i didn't care much... Would the dry filter allow more air-flow than the oiled one??
Oiled is more air flow but it’s also more maintenance

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
Then don't install one. I love the look, the sound, and I think it helps. I personally feel that it's $320 very well spent.
I have to agree. It sounds great having that old 4 barrel sound when you punch it. It may not give you the claimed HP but it will give you better throttle response to go with that sound, Making the drive more enjoyable. I'm about to pull the trigger on this and an exhaust. Mainly for the pleasure of it. If it gives me some real world HP that's just icing on the cake.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have to agree. It sounds great having that old 4 barrel sound when you punch it. It may not give you the claimed HP but it will give you better throttle response to go with that sound, Making the drive more enjoyable. I'm about to pull the trigger on this and an exhaust. Mainly for the pleasure of it. If it gives me some real world HP that's just icing on the cake.
I like what you’ve written and again the key thing is if you are happy with it, then it’s a good mod.

Users who are viewing this thread