5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best CAI

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
There have been numerous posts here about it. It’s been confirmed to be an issue with the Pulsar and Edge has been replacing/updating them. A few people have had it happen as soon as they installed it, others had it happen after it was on the truck for 4000 miles. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the Pulsar on my truck. If my wife didn’t drive it from time to time I wouldn’t worry about it.
Great to see that you still love your wife and care about her well being after all these years ;)

Limited_Ram

Reaction score
There have been numerous posts here about it. It’s been confirmed to be an issue with the Pulsar and Edge has been replacing/updating them. A few people have had it happen as soon as they installed it, others had it happen after it was on the truck for 4000 miles. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the Pulsar on my truck. If my wife didn’t drive it from time to time I wouldn’t worry about it.
I also have not heard of this, and cant seem to find anything on it in these forums. So you're saying it just goes WOT out of nowhere for no reason?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also have not heard of this, and cant seem to find anything on it in these forums. So you're saying it just goes WOT out of nowhere for no reason?
There’s a few posts here. I’m on mobile so it’s hard to search right now. There has been much more talk on it on the Facebook groups as well. One person had it do it as soon as they put the truck in drive. Another at a stop light. Numerous others the same issue.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Wow will have to try to find it. Even the people on YouTube talk good about it.. I'll keep looking my wife won't drive my truck because she said it was too big and hard to park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j517

Reaction score
Don't most or all of the CAI use the existing air entry point coming in from the grill area? Isn't this passive and not forced air?

From what I can tell looking at my stock airbox (I have added the AEM and removed the carbon for now) it appears the small air entry area does not get direct forced air from behind the grill but just accesses the air in that location passively. I seriously doubt that little air inlet (for such a large airbox, even stock) is challenging the capacity of the drop in filters.

With that said - I thought I had read someone indicating they had a CAI that had a secondary inlet in the bottom that could be unplugged for further access? I would not want to just unplug it and pull in hot engine bay air but it could be another air access point for air directed from elsewhere. I am considering altering my stock box in this manner but it might be easier to use a CAI with a secondary access point already set up (then I can always put my stock box back on later if issues with CA smog, etc..).

Lastly, anyone have one 50 state legal? Gotta love living in California. All the ones mentioned here I pull up seem to be 49 state legal!

EDIT: I actually see the S&B unit does have the added inlet but the 50 state legal status says 'pending"!
Called s&b about a week ago they said unknown time frame for carb approval. Possibly 3 to 6 months

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

j517

Reaction score
Yep, but that will only take a few seconds. I haven’t bought it yet but will shortly. I didn’t want to worry about bending the pins or breaking the clips for the PCM with the constant on and off.
Bought a dual obd adapter at auto zone 14bucks. U can get them on Amazon also this way u can extra for dealer so they can plug in their obd

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Called s&b about a week ago they said unknown time frame for carb approval. Possibly 3 to 6 months

It will never become carb complaint. 48 state yes. Not cali level complaint. It doesn’t have a carbon filter. With out it’s dead in water.
Unless they prove and pay a large amount of money. Then maybe.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree with @Nails. No aftermarket CAI will ever get CARB certified and a manufacturer will never pay the HUGE fees because they'll never get their money back out of it.

debob

Reaction score
My vote goes to Veraram! Great sound, better performance and throttle response, and it looks AWESOME! I have one on my 19 and my last two Hemi trucks also had them.

Matt at Moe's Performance has great prices on them.
Is this the air grabber model?

Snakes709

Reaction score
There is alot of, i dont want to say misinformation but, yea, misinformation lol. I laugh when i see intake manufactures claiming retarded power gains like 15whp and 30-50tq. Would love to see back to back runs on the same dyno, same settings and same weather comparing stock vs intake added.

With just adding a intake on these trucks, you will be lucky to see 2whp without changing the tune. With a fly by wire system, the computer is going to see more air coming in and start to close the throttle body to help keep the fuel trims and afr in check. I saw this first hand on my bike. With my bike its been dyno proven to see 8whp increase with removing the restrictive air filter with a high flow and doing back to back testing. But fuel trims were way out of wack and the ecu was trying to revert to stock setup. On a 500lb bike, you feel the 8whp increase. On a truck, you wouldnt feel ****, especially with a intake setup that brings in hot air from the engine bay and no ram air effect, causing less hp increase, if any. Seems more like a placebo effect.

If all you care about is the sound and looks, go for it. But if you want performance increase, you need a custom tune to get that from a intake.

On the topic of sound. Not sure on the truck but my mitsubishi evox, drop in k&n filter definitely enhanced the sound of the intake and bov. When i switched to the AMS cai that relocates the filter to in front of the wheel well near the ground and away from the heat, it was loud as ****.

I do miss the sound of my 2016 sport with a k&n. Gotta get that growl back.

SupremeWill

Reaction score
Looks awesome, does it make it a pain for mechanics to work on the truck? Seems to take up a lot of space and block a lot of access points? Have you had services cost more due to having a CAI like this?

No sir. Oil change is no different. Havent had any compliants yet.

mark2804

Reaction score
I just installed my S&B. I love it, high quality and impeccable attention to detail.

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 183

Snakes709

Reaction score
Being my birthday today I decided to treat myself, well my truck. Picked up a AFe Magnum today. Install was pretty easy, took about 30-45mins. Only thing I didn't really like is the fitting for the return line doesn't screw in all the way. It seals fine but sticks out about 3/4 of an inch. Other then that, I love it. I'm amazed at how loud the growl is. My 4th gen with a K&N wasn't this loud. Definitely some improvement in pick up. Truck isn't working as hard to get up to speed. Fuel economy seems to be slightly better, only went for a short drive, so haven't seen the full advantage. Should save me a decent about this summer when I drive from Edmonton, AB to Las Vegas which is 2400kms each way.

Attachments

• 61026020_10157089644616531_5886578830394523648_n.jpg
    61026020_10157089644616531_5886578830394523648_n.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 61228575_10157089644651531_6279137303650631680_n.jpg
    61228575_10157089644651531_6279137303650631680_n.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 120

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Being my birthday today I decided to treat myself, well my truck. Definitely some improvement in pick up. Truck isn't working as hard to get up to speed. Fuel economy seems to be slightly better, only went for a short drive, so haven't seen the full advantage. Should save me a decent about this summer when I drive from Edmonton, AB to Las Vegas which is 2400kms each way.

First of all...Happy Birthday my friend! However, I think your perception of an improvement in pickup and mileage is your seat of the pants meter trying to justify the expense as there will be no noticeable increase in acceleration or economy when installing an airbox alone without a tune. They do sound nice though so enjoy the new sound and your perceived increase in performance as perception is reality (y)

whetrick1

Reaction score
Being my birthday today I decided to treat myself, well my truck. Picked up a AFe Magnum today. Install was pretty easy, took about 30-45mins. Only thing I didn't really like is the fitting for the return line doesn't screw in all the way. It seals fine but sticks out about 3/4 of an inch. Other then that, I love it. I'm amazed at how loud the growl is. My 4th gen with a K&N wasn't this loud. Definitely some improvement in pick up. Truck isn't working as hard to get up to speed. Fuel economy seems to be slightly better, only went for a short drive, so haven't seen the full advantage. Should save me a decent about this summer when I drive from Edmonton, AB to Las Vegas which is 2400kms each way.

I've had mine on for around 2 months or so and I have better pickup and I have seen an increase in gas mileage. And I also installed an oil catch can that a lot of people don't believe in. So enjoy it I am.
856a5111bf1076412279c22c5f43d3e4.jpg
e787f7fc26e350f70e23b1775b4daa85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snakes709

Reaction score
Was debating doing a catch can as well. Was out driving around today and wife was shocked how loud the engine is now.

Users who are viewing this thread