5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best CAI

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I was reading that some have noticed a negative impact on performance.

It’s interesting to see some results that are all over the place but leaning towards satisfied.

I like the way they look and the audible performance would be great as well. Other plans for now.

Keep posting up your purchases and good bad or great news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
I like what you’ve written and again the key thing is if you are happy with it, then it’s a good mod.
Thanks, Honestly if you don't re-tune the motor to to overcome the fuel sipping, EPA loving stock tune, the improved airflow of a CAI and exhaust might make for a lean condition. Making it run hotter. PCM's can only overcome so much (like altitude) You can get away with that with a truck but I would never do that setup without a tune on an air cooled Harley. I'm starting a search for the best tune that will work with the Tazer for when I open up my air flow. When I got this truck 6 months ago there was not much out. I figured I'd roll stock for awhile so I can really know what the changes I make are doing. TIMES UP! LOL

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
My evic actually was at 24 or 25 till I got off 75 and drove through back country. I was blown away. I did the mods Thursday night. Filled up white Shell mid grade (all I use) before I did the trip and cleared the evic to test. I don’t see how a cai will give more for the $$$ compared to it. I was really surprised, especially since the K&n was for the cost savings of a reusable filter. Didn’t expect much if an gains.

Does the drop in filter still give you that throaty 4 barrel carb sound when you punch it like a CAI?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the drop in filter still give you that throaty 4 barrel carb sound when you punch it like a CAI?
The S&B CAI does.
The drops ins in my other cars do not. You can hear a slight difference in the airflow at idle but in my experience the drop ins don't give you the sound of the CAI's.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
These CAI, like the S&B and AFE, all look great under the hood and do enhance the "sound"...however, it's a real shame they don't do much to add to the trucks performance. I really don't think you'd see much of a difference in performance between a drop-in with the carbon filter removed and the CAI and what you may "see" will be unnoticeable. This is what's holding me back from taking the plunge and letting go of another $300. With the B2 Magnaflow and the Pedal Commander, I am extremely pleased with the sound and the feel of my truck now. The PC makes it far more enjoyable to drive without any throttle lag...I was a skeptic until I bought it during the group buy...now I can't see driving without it...period.

SColang22

Reaction score
These CAI, like the S&B and AFE, all look great under the hood and do enhance the "sound"...however, it's a real shame they don't do much to add to the trucks performance. I really don't think you'd see much of a difference in performance between a drop-in with the carbon filter removed and the CAI and what you may "see" will be unnoticeable. This is what's holding me back from taking the plunge and letting go of another $300. With the B2 Magnaflow and the Pedal Commander, I am extremely pleased with the sound and the feel of my truck now. The PC makes it far more enjoyable to drive without any throttle lag...I was a skeptic until I bought it during the group buy...now I can't see driving without it...period.
Idk about everyone else but I went from a K&N drop in to the AFE and had a definite increase. My average 0-60 increased by .2.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Listen it's all about what you want this is my second Ram and I had to sale my other pedal commander to buy this one for my 2019. And I bought a aFe Cai for it and it makes it fun to drive. And I'm going to buy me a Borla to put on it next.

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
I think I may just go drop in filter for now. The PC and muffler are my next mods. Is the B2 really loud? I don't want my truck really loud I just want a nice deep mellow tone. It's a limited. How's the drone? I like how this one sounds but there isn't a lot of info about this seller. But what little feedback he has on ebay is 100% positive.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think I may just go drop in filter for now. The PC and muffler are my next mods. Is the B2 really loud? I don't want my truck really loud I just want a nice deep mellow tone. It's a limited. How's the drone? I like how this one sounds but there isn't a lot of info about this seller. But what little feedback he has on ebay is 100% positive.

The B2 is not loud at all...for me it's just right as I didn't want "loud" at idle. All I wanted was a nice deep throaty tone and the B2 does this without drone and sounds great when you hit the gas!

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree on you with the Pedal Commander. I got in on the group buy as well and installed mine Saturday. I also just removed my Pulsar and sold it as I will be ordering a Tazer soon. The Pedal Commander has much more customization to find that sweet spot. My Pulsar stayed in Performance mode. I have the Pedal Commander in Sport mode right now set at +2. I put it on Sport+ over the weekend just to see and holy cow does it make it go. I know the PC doesn't actually give you any power like the Pulsar does, but it gives much more flexibility with the throttle response and I truly don't feel like I lost anything switching over to the PC. I'll be adding a CAI at some point, for now I just removed the carbon filter and installed a high flow drop in.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Agree on you with the Pedal Commander. I got in on the group buy as well and installed mine Saturday. I also just removed my Pulsar and sold it as I will be ordering a Tazer soon. The Pedal Commander has much more customization to find that sweet spot. My Pulsar stayed in Performance mode. I have the Pedal Commander in Sport mode right now set at +2. I put it on Sport+ over the weekend just to see and holy cow does it make it go. I know the PC doesn't actually give you any power like the Pulsar does, but it gives much more flexibility with the throttle response and I truly don't feel like I lost anything switching over to the PC. I'll be adding a CAI at some point, for now I just removed the carbon filter and installed a high flow drop in.

What didn't you like about the pulsar. The Tazer DT can't turn off MDS. I was thinking about getting the pulsar myself.

JeffK2019

Reaction score
Don't most or all of the CAI use the existing air entry point coming in from the grill area? Isn't this passive and not forced air?

From what I can tell looking at my stock airbox (I have added the AEM and removed the carbon for now) it appears the small air entry area does not get direct forced air from behind the grill but just accesses the air in that location passively. I seriously doubt that little air inlet (for such a large airbox, even stock) is challenging the capacity of the drop in filters.

With that said - I thought I had read someone indicating they had a CAI that had a secondary inlet in the bottom that could be unplugged for further access? I would not want to just unplug it and pull in hot engine bay air but it could be another air access point for air directed from elsewhere. I am considering altering my stock box in this manner but it might be easier to use a CAI with a secondary access point already set up (then I can always put my stock box back on later if issues with CA smog, etc..).

Lastly, anyone have one 50 state legal? Gotta love living in California. All the ones mentioned here I pull up seem to be 49 state legal!

EDIT: I actually see the S&B unit does have the added inlet but the 50 state legal status says 'pending"!

Last edited:

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
Well I decided to just pull the trigger on the S&B CAI. I just know the drop in filter isn't going to give me the sound I'm used to. I've had a CAI on my rides for 20 years. I need that roar at WOT. So this week I'm in for the CAI, Tazer, Pedal Commander and a muffler. Busy week. I might not have any money for gas at the rate I'm going.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What didn't you like about the pulsar. The Tazer DT can't turn off MDS. I was thinking about getting the pulsar myself.

I loved the Pulsar. Stayed in performance mode. I have a few dealer trips in store and didn’t want the hassle of taking it on and off. Some of the issues people have been having worried me as well as far as it going wide open throttle. If it’s me driving it, no problem I know what to do. However, my wife drives the truck from time to time and often has my two little ones with her. It would freak her out and she wouldn’t know how to handle it. I can’t take that chance.

whetrick1

Reaction score
That's a new one on me. I haven't heard about it going wide open throttle. Seems like to me that would almost be a pcm glitch. Because the pulsar is a piggy back to it. But I guess it could be.

whetrick1

Reaction score
I loved the Pulsar. Stayed in performance mode. I have a few dealer trips in store and didn’t want the hassle of taking it on and off. Some of the issues people have been having worried me as well as far as it going wide open throttle. If it’s me driving it, no problem I know what to do. However, my wife drives the truck from time to time and often has my two little ones with her. It would freak her out and she wouldn’t know how to handle it. I can’t take that chance.

You do know that if the dealership needs to update that the Tazer DT has to be unplugged

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You do know that if the dealership needs to update that the Tazer DT has to be unplugged

Yep, but that will only take a few seconds. I haven’t bought it yet but will shortly. I didn’t want to worry about bending the pins or breaking the clips for the PCM with the constant on and off.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a new one on me. I haven't heard about it going wide open throttle. Seems like to me that would almost be a pcm glitch. Because the pulsar is a piggy back to it. But I guess it could be.

There have been numerous posts here about it. It’s been confirmed to be an issue with the Pulsar and Edge has been replacing/updating them. A few people have had it happen as soon as they installed it, others had it happen after it was on the truck for 4000 miles. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the Pulsar on my truck. If my wife didn’t drive it from time to time I wouldn’t worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread