5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step Install Doc and Pics

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
124 lbs my ***! In that awkward position you get as tight as you can. Did anyone actually use a torque wrench?

You’d have to only weigh 124lbs to be able to manauver under there dialing in the torque. I just made it tight enough until my hands slipped a couple of times and my knuckles started to bleed. That was my gauge.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
124 lbs my ***! In that awkward position you get as tight as you can. Did anyone actually use a torque wrench?
Due to the limited space, I found it very difficult to use a torque wrench on all of them, especially without an extension. As I’m a 250-lb+ powerlifter, I just went with ‘as tight as possible‘.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did have to use an extension on the one that was the furthest away at the very top but I did have the back tires up on ramps and had plenty of room and leverage.

Chris

Reaction score
I used a torque wrench, but couldn’t get the leverage to get it to “click” without popping off the bolt. Close enough, it is tight enough that removing it will not be fun if I need to transfer it to a new truck.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wow! want to thank all you guys for your tips and info.i ordered my last month.it is so heavy ,im taking it in to the dealer tomorrow and have them do it.i know its cheaper to do it myself.but i am 100% disable and it was to much of a strain for me!

stepbill

Reaction score
I installed mine yesterday, 2 months after right rotator cuff surgery. Would not have able to do it without the tip of opening the step and letting it rest on your knee as you install it. This made the job really easy. I think the longest part was the time that it took to get the three bolts in :).

John

Reaction score
Installed mine yesterday and it hits my Magnaflow aftermarket exhaust pretty bad. Going to take it to a muffler shop and get their opinion on a fix without affecting flow too badly!

John

Trfnj74

Reaction score
Installed mine yesterday and it hits my Magnaflow aftermarket exhaust pretty bad. Going to take it to a muffler shop and get their opinion on a fix without affecting flow too badly!

John

I reported this a month ago and I couldn't get it not to touch at all. It would give the exhaust a gentle kiss when deploying but it didn't touch when in the up position as will as when driving.

22064 22065

jkm312

Reaction score
I installed mine today. Didn't have any issues hitting or clearing anything. It isn't overly hard to do, but it is a little challenging holding it up to the frame to start the bolts. What I did was get a slightly smaller bolt thru the top forward mounting hole and into the frame to use as a pivot to take most of the weight. Then swing it up in place with one hand and start the two back bolts with my other hand. Leave those two loose to get a little wiggle room to line up the top forward bolt. Did it all with the truck on the floor. Then just snug them all up and zip tie the wires up out of the way. I couldn't loosen the top forward bolt with a 3/8 extra long ratchet wrench, no how, no way. Ended up using a 1/2 breaker bar to loosen the top bolt, and snug them up. I had all three weld nuts on the frame. I started all three bolts thru the nuts before I started to put the step on for real. I live in the sand and salt midwest country and had the truck undercoated when I bought it.

Hope this tip helps those of you who are going it alone. Many thanks to the OP, pics helped a great deal.

The step is well worth the time, effort and money.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Is Moparamerica still the best place to get this? I see they are available as an option when building a truck online yet they do not list it as something that can be purchased from mopar.com. Are they still in process of making a new one or something? Should I hold out or get it from moparamerica?

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Just to confirm, 82215289AB is still the current best part number of choice?

jkm312

Reaction score
If you purchase the step from MoparAmerica, add your VIN number in the ordering process and it will generate the part number you need. Part # 82215289AB is what tumbled out for me and is what I put on my truck. The part fit and worked as designed. It is tight under the bumper, but it cleared everything it needs to clear.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
If you purchase the step from MoparAmerica, add your VIN number in the ordering process and it will generate the part number you need. Part # 82215289AB is what tumbled out for me and is what I put on my truck. The part fit and worked as designed. It is tight under the bumper, but it cleared everything it needs to clear.
For some reason the part only appears when I directly search the part number. It does not appear in the catalog drill down menus of items. No matter if I input my VIN or just go off the new 1500 model, it does not appear unless I search the part number directly.

Last edited:

Rich

Reaction score

The new part number seems to be 82215289AE

Since it's not available yet, most people have been going with an older version as they are available vs waiting for the 'new' version.

ajnov82

Reaction score
So I got my Mopar bed Step..i.e., "Step Kit-Side - 82215289AB ", yesterday and mounted it. Took a couple of pictures of the mounting points. Just three bolts hold it on. Attached are the included mounting instructions and a couple of pictures.

In a nutshell:

1. Remove one existing bolt
2. Move the wire bundle (looks to be a groove in the back plate of the step to account for the wires, but I couldn't mount it without moving the wires to the side)
3. Mount the Step with the provided Three 7/8" head bolts (mounting points noted in first pic)

The top rear bolt is mounted in the frame rail, so you have to thread it blind holding the handle welded to the provided nut (see second pic). A bit of a pain, but not too bad.

Fitment is good and doesn't hit or touch anything that I can see.

I like it. I think I will order the Mopar Bed Grab handle to go with it. Wife wants something a little better to pull herself up with. She was a little spoiled with the pull out step and handle in our F150.

Edit: Added a few pics of the installed step
I just got my Mopar Bed step part number 82215289AB from MoparAmerica. Very easy install thanks to your instructions and photos and looks great. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread