5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step Install Doc and Pics

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got it in two days from moparamerica and just installed. The steps to install were very easy in concept but I made it hard by doing it at night and in freezing temperatures. Had to move the wiring to get it mounted and forgot to tie it back up with a zip tie. You guys think it will be okay or should I crawl back under later and tie it back up? The wiring seemed pretty stiff and doesn’t appear like it would go anywhere or get caught on anything. Not sure if it really needs to be resecured but I’m not a car/truck guy. Let me know your thoughts on this. tested the step and amazed how well it looks and how little you notice it when it’s up. Can barely tell it’s there.
I didn’t resecure as it didn’t seem to be going anywhere to me either

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got it in two days from moparamerica and just installed. The steps to install were very easy in concept but I made it hard by doing it at night and in freezing temperatures. Had to move the wiring to get it mounted and forgot to tie it back up with a zip tie. You guys think it will be okay or should I crawl back under later and tie it back up? The wiring seemed pretty stiff and doesn’t appear like it would go anywhere or get caught on anything. Not sure if it really needs to be resecured but I’m not a car/truck guy. Let me know your thoughts on this. tested the step and amazed how well it looks and how little you notice it when it’s up. Can barely tell it’s there.

The important thing is that the harness doesn’t work it’s way in between the step as it’s folding back and then get pinched. So you want to make sure the harness is bundled tight. It’s easy to get under there and zip tie it

John

Reaction score
Considering that it would take about 30 seconds to secure, I would definitely wire tie it up! Might be stiff now but in summer heat it may soften to the point of sagging and get caught on something or rub!!

John

VinnyRam

Reaction score
I finally got good weather to install mine. Here's a picture showing how I zip tied the wire bundles. I also suggest wearing gloves to do the installation, there are a lot of sharp edges in the vicinity.
20190309_130519 (1).jpg

DennisY

Reaction score
Mine arrived yesterday but was delivered to the wrong house by Fedex. Fortunately, the neighbor brought it over this afternoon. It took me about an hour to install (finding the right tools in my tool chest to maneuver in the tight spaces) but not a big deal to install. I needed a breaker bar to loosen one of the RAM factory bolts. There is a hole in the bed step bracket that I used to re-secure the wire harness that has to be cut free to install the step. And as others have said, I love it! Sooo much easier to get in and out of the bed now. Great product! Surprised this isn't standard equip on all 1500 LTDs though. I too ordered from Mopar America, used the discount code, and it arrived here in San Diego on Friday after ordering on Sunday. It shipped on Monday. The box arrived relatively unscathed considering how poorly it is packaged at the factory. Someone had taped the parts bag shut to prevent loss of parts. May have been Mopar America? Thank you to Jstadick who started this particular thread and had some awesome pictures including the mounting holes!

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Received mine from MoparAmerica and had my dealer install today along with an oil change. Shipping box was slightly beat up, had bolts and instructions in a plastic bag. No issues. The technician stated it was a smooth and easy installation. This was the AB part number I received.

Also something to note...I have a Borla cat back exhaust system installed with 5" chrome tips, no problem at all.

Looks slick and works great!

View attachment 17520 View attachment 17521

Which Borla did you get? How do you like it?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finally got good weather to install mine. Here's a picture showing how I zip tied the wire bundles. I also suggest wearing gloves to do the installation, there are a lot of sharp edges in the vicinity.
View attachment 18370
Mine has the wiring running beneath the step in that notched/curved groove seen in the pics. Seemed to me that it was machined there for this because of how tight the wiring tolerances are.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Mine has the wiring running beneath the step in that notched/curved groove seen in the pics. Seemed to me that it was machined there for this because of how tight the wiring tolerances are.
Good observation. I think you may be right. I didn't have to disconnect that red harness from the bracket when I did my installation but it doesn't appear that the wire is tight where I have it now.

blkv3tt3

Reaction score
Which Borla did you get? How do you like it?
Borla Touring cat-back with chrome tips. My exhaust guy said it was one of the best quality built systems he's seen. My dealer liked the construction too, they commented on the system as they were installing the bed step. I love sound, no regrets...Deep growl with minimal acceleration and full throaty sound at full throttle.
My preference is the touring, I can't imagine the S-type or much less the Atak...that would be way too much for me, imo.
I'm very happy, the Hemi sounds as it should.

MtnDan

Reaction score
So I got my Mopar bed Step..i.e., "Step Kit-Side - 82215289AB ", yesterday and mounted it. Took a couple of pictures of the mounting points. Just three bolts hold it on. Attached are the included mounting instructions and a couple of pictures.

In a nutshell:

1. Remove one existing bolt
2. Move the wire bundle (looks to be a groove in the back plate of the step to account for the wires, but I couldn't mount it without moving the wires to the side)
3. Mount the Step with the provided Three 7/8" head bolts (mounting points noted in first pic)

The top rear bolt is mounted in the frame rail, so you have to thread it blind holding the handle welded to the provided nut (see second pic). A bit of a pain, but not too bad.

Fitment is good and doesn't hit or touch anything that I can see.

I like it. I think I will order the Mopar Bed Grab handle to go with it. Wife wants something a little better to pull herself up with. She was a little spoiled with the pull out step and handle in our F150.

Edit: Added a few pics of the installed step
I looks great. I was told by a Ram parts department guy that because my truck has dual exhaust that I couldn't put that step on my truck. Is that true?

maddog49

Reaction score
I looks great. I was told by a Ram parts department guy that because my truck has dual exhaust that I couldn't put that step on my truck. Is that true?
Works fine on my limited with dual exhaust.....

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing more than 99% of us that have installed the step have the factory dual exhaust (or have replaced it with an aftermarket dual exhaust).

blkv3tt3

Reaction score
Not only do I have dual exhaust, I also have a Borla exhaust system with 5" exhaust tips!
2019-03-01 12.31.52-1.jpg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine just came today. Clearly they changed the packaging. The box was heavy duty and had double wall inserts. The hardware was in a plastic bag wrapped in cardboard and then taped up. This thing came in a box like it should and zero signs of any damage at all. Was going to do the install today but quickly found out I don't have any sockets >19mm so a trip to Home Depot tomorrow and it will be installed after work!

RAM-STEP.jpg

Trfnj74

Reaction score
It's funny I had mine installed at the factory and it's a little different design. It mounts some what different. I think that's even different than the original ones from the pdf that floating around here.

Users who are viewing this thread