5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step Install Doc and Pics

VinnyRam

Reaction score
No major issues when installing. The step itself is solid and a bit heavy. In order to get the bolts in you have to hold it with one hand while aligning the bolts. It's a tight fit but once everything is lined up it fits perfect. The electrical wires/connector can be worked around without unplugging anything. Once the step is installed I used a zip tie to rescure the wires to the frame of the step. There's already a small hole in the step to slip the zip tie through. Like I said if it wasn't 25 degrees and getting dark when I started installing it I'd probably have said it was an easy install.
I'm still waiting for warmer weather to install mine. Could you please take a picture showing the 3 bolts and the zip tie area ? Thanks

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Box just arrived. A couple small holes in box, but the step appears fine and the hardware was in a baggie with the instructions. I might try and mess with install this weekend if I can warm my garage up enough.

ww874

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for warmer weather to install mine. Could you please take a picture showing the 3 bolts and the zip tie area ? Thanks
I do believe the member who started this thread on page 1 did a better job then I could of taking pictures and explaing the install. Check the first page of this thread. I would add that the step kit comes with Large bolts and a couple of nuts. One of the nuts is attached to a small handle so the nut can be postioned inside the frame so you can turn the bolt into it. But on my Ram Rebel all the nuts were already welded to the frame. So after I was done I had a few extra parts. The part number of the kit I ordered ended in "AB". I've been told there are newer versions of the step kit and maybe the newer ones don't include the extra bolts because Ram may be attaching all the nuts at the factory. Just a guess on my part as I only have experience with my truck.

Last edited:

VinnyRam

Reaction score
No problem. I'm just looking for a picture showing where you zip tied the wire bundles.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine just arrived today from moparamerica. Awesome price. Fast shipping. The box arrived in perfect condition. Seemed like a heavy duty box. The inside was gouged a bit but it didn’t break thru. My local delivery guys aren’t exactly known for their soft touch either. I guess you could pack it with fill to help stabilize it so it doesn’t move that much but it was fine for me. The nuts/bolts were is a smaller taped box inside so they were floating around. So it all looks good from a shipping standpoint!
Now I need to get it installed. Thanks to all the pioneers for documenting the process!

gr8ridn

Reaction score
I installed my bed step yesterday. Everything lined up correctly and the step practically disappears when retracted. The three mount positions lined up with the frame perfectly and there is good clearance from the exhaust/ resonator and other components of the stock exhaust. Once the lower wire harness was removed from the bracket supporting the harness connector on the forward side of the step there was plenty of harness slack to secure up to the upper harness and provide ample clearance of the step range of motion.

This is an impressive product with good design and engineering. The strength of the step leaves not doubt it is ready to support me safely when stepping up to the bed.

I recommend this step. It is worth the fairly high price once you witness the product design and function.

blkv3tt3

Reaction score
Received mine from MoparAmerica and had my dealer install today along with an oil change. Shipping box was slightly beat up, had bolts and instructions in a plastic bag. No issues. The technician stated it was a smooth and easy installation. This was the AB part number I received.

Also something to note...I have a Borla cat back exhaust system installed with 5" chrome tips, no problem at all.

Looks slick and works great!

20190301_134512.jpg 20190301_134450.jpg

Nick54

Reaction score
Installed my step today, bolted up great after I figured that extending the step first gives much more room for hands to start the bolts. Not real happy with the relocation of the wiring harness. I would appreciate if I could see a few pics of your wire relocation so I can correct mine.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
installed mine. Hardware included 3 bolts and one nut. I only use two of the bolts and didn’t use the nut. That’s because my truck already was already threaded. I guess older builds only had two threaded so you needed a nut? Anyway, it threw me off a bit because the instructions showed using the included tool to reach in between the frame in order tighten the top bolt. That wasn’t necessary because my top bolt was threaded. All that was needed in my install was the following:
- identify installl location
- unclip the wiring harness there and tuck it out of the way and zip tie it
- there is an existing silver bolt at the top near where you removed the wiring harness. This bolt will be used to secure the top of the step. This bolt on my truck was threaded right into the frame so I didn’t need the included nut nor did I Ned the included tool. Simply put the bolt thru the top hole in the step and mount.
- use two of the included bolts to mount the bottom/top portion of the step into the existing pre-threaded space for it.
-tighten down. Done
- one bolt and one nut left over

A tip I read earlier which was helpful (thanks to the op), was to extend the step. It allowed me to maneuver it better and support it with my hand while resting it in my knee.

Last edited:

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
installed mine. Hardware included 3 bolts and one nut. I only use one of the bolts and didn’t use the nut. That’s because my truck already had both nuts threaded. I guess older builds only had one threaded so you needed a nut? Anyway, it threw me off a bit because the instructions showed using the included tool to reach in between the frame in order tighten the top bolt. That wasn’t necessary because my top bolt was threaded. All that was needed in my install was the following:
- identify installl location
- unclip the wiring harness there and tuck it out of the way and zip tie it
- there is an existing silver bolt at the top near where you removed the wiring harness. This bolt will be used to secure the top of the step. This bolt on my truck was threaded right into the frame so I didn’t need the included nut nor did I Ned the included tool. Simply put the bolt thru the top hole in the step and mount.
- use one of the included bolts to mount the bottom portion of the step into the existing pre-threaded space for it.
-tighten down. Done
- two bolts and one nut left over

A tip I read earlier which was helpful (thanks to the op), was to extend the step. It allowed me to maneuver it better and support it with my hand while resting it in my knee.

If I'm reading your notes correctly I think you missed a bolt, the step gets secured with a total of 3 of them. See the very first posting on this thread.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed mine this morning. Thanks to all the posters before me that offered great tips. Mine went like this:

1. Removed the 13/16 existing bolt at top left using a 1/2 drive flex head ratchet. This flex head ratchet made it so much easier btw, thanks for the suggestion.
2. Pulled all existing wires up together and zip tied them out of the way.
3. Re-used the 13/16 original bolt in top left hole, and used two of the 7/8 bolts from baggie in other two holes. I did not use any of the nuts from baggie, as all three of my holes were threaded and welded on nuts already.
4. I enlisted my wife to hold the extended step for a second while I threaded one bolt in. Easy peasy.
5. Admired my handiwork.

I'm trying to get the feel of operating it with my foot, particularly when closing it as it really slams up. But I checked and it is not hitting anything at all, so it should be all good.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
If I'm reading your notes correctly I think you missed a bolt, the step gets secured with a total of 3 of them. See the very first posting on this thread.

@jloops you were right. What a maroon. I got the other bolt on. I went back and edited my thread above just in case there are other fools like me :p
My harness was in the way of that top right hole and when I reached up I must have been trying to put it in the wrong hole :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: so I just figured since the directions were not correct for my truck with the threading, that this bolt must not be needed. Anyway, I corrected it today. Thanks for setting me straight!

Last edited:

DennisY

Reaction score
Ordered mine today. Hoping this AB model is still available at Mopar America. The Dodgeforum5% coupon code still works too.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whats the greatest price on the bed step that everyone has seen? $275 seems quite steep for just a step but I do want it

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Whats the greatest price on the bed step that everyone has seen? $275 seems quite steep for just a step but I do want it

Yeah that’s the best price I found. Moparamerica its $276 right now, less the promo code of 5% (dodgeforum5%), plus shipping (mine was $18) so all in it was $281 for me. Shipping depends on where you live. Moparamerica is in NC. If you’re on the mid-west/west maybe someone local would be better. Your local dealer parts dept might match the price but most of them either can’t or wait sell this part while it’s on a “hold”.

It does seem expensive but I will say that after getting it and installing it, it’s worth it to me. I didn’t think it would be. But it’s solid as hell and very slick and helpful. Others who were earlier in also paid $50-$100 more I think.

Hope that helps.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah that’s the best price I found. Moparamerica its $276 right now, less the promo code of 5% (dodgeforum5%), plus shipping (mine was $18) so all in it was $281 for me. Shipping depends on where you live. Moparamerica is in NC. If you’re on the mid-west/west maybe someone local would be better. Your local dealer parts dept might match the price but most of them either can’t or wait sell this part while it’s on a “hold”.

It does seem expensive but I will say that after getting it and installing it, it’s worth it to me. I didn’t think it would be. But it’s solid as hell and very slick and helpful. Others who were earlier in also paid $50-$100 more I think.

Hope that helps.
Yeah I am in SI, NY so should be the same shipping as you. Checked everywhere and cant seem to find a discount lol

John

Reaction score
Is Mopar America affiliated with Ram or is it an aftermarket company? Why is the step available thru them and not the dealers?

John

geotex1

Reaction score
Is Mopar America affiliated with Ram or is it an aftermarket company? Why is the step available thru them and not the dealers?

John

Jon and Chris (Mopar America) have been in business since the early 1990s. The reason they can get what many dealers cannot is due to their volume of products sold. Like every single supply industry, the big volume buyers are Tier 1 and get the preferential service. It's that simple.

As for those constantly debating the price of the step 1) demand brought the price up and appreciate Jon is passing on some of his bulk savings; 2) it is a robust piece of engineering; and 3) sanity check yourselves by looking at the cost of the AMP bed steps. Finally, if it's too expensive and the world ends if a bolt is lost in shipping, simply do not buy this extremely useful add-on.

Users who are viewing this thread