5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step Install Doc and Pics

Chris

Reaction score
I'm very interested to see a picture of your box when it arrived. I'm in the east coast. I got the step in 2 days but the box looked like it been around the world. Terrible packaging as others have mentioned here. Somehow it did arrived with the bolts. Hopefully yours will be fine.
I think the problem is that they come on pallets that are well protected and intended to be sold in person from the parts department; the actual boxes are very light for the weight of the step inside, and should be repackaged before shipment.

However, with the quantity being sold and the price they are sold at, they can't repackage them. I am estimating that the amount they can ship daily would slow to a crawl and the cost would jump an extra $25 each if they repackaged each one appropriately before shipping, not to mention the hit the parts department would take in their other (dealership) activity if they spent so much time prepping these for shipment.

Last edited:

gr8ridn

Reaction score
I'm very interested to see a picture of your box when it arrived. I'm in the east coast. I got the step in 2 days but the box looked like it been around the world. Terrible packaging as others have mentioned here. Somehow it did arrived with the bolts. Hopefully yours will be fine.
This is a concern for me as well. I contacted Mopar America about this and they said they can't understand why this is happening and the bolts should be packaged in a plastic pouch within the box. FedEX is handling the shipping on my order. I have had good luck with them. Did your order ship with FedEX or something else like UPS. I will report the condition it was received in when it is delivered on Tuesday

Last edited:

SacRebel

Reaction score
I think the problem is that they come on pallets that are well protected and intended to be sold in person from the parts department; the actual boxes are very light for the weight of the step inside, and should be repackaged before shipment.

However, with the quantity being sold and the price they are sold at, they can't repackage them. I am estimating that the amount they can ship daily would slow to a crawl and the cost would jump an extra $25 each if they repackaged each one appropriately before shipping, not to mention the hit the parts department would take in their other (dealership) activity if they spent so much time prepping these for shipment.

Don’t make excuses for MoparAmerica. Those who had missing parts from their box could careless about the extra time and cost to properly ship an item.

Chris

Reaction score
Don’t make excuses for MoparAmerica. Those who had missing parts from their box could careless about the extra time and cost to properly ship an item.
And yet, even after others reported beat up boxes and missing parts in the same thread that directs them to MoparAmerica, they still ordered and accepted the risk of missing parts.

Don't like MoparAmerica? Then stop giving them money; tossing more orders at them after knowing that some orders are missing parts only exacerbates the issue, since they are monetary rewarding for doing the same poor packaging job repeatedly.

If "those who had missing parts from their box" really could care less about the extra time and money, then they would wait to order it from a dealer when they can see the part before paying. I certainly prefer to get the step now and replace a couple $2 bolts then pay an extra $25 and/or wait significantly longer to get the part.

Also, generalizing is bad; it just devalues all arguments.

Larry Crim

Reaction score
Mine arrived in open box no hardware inside very poor packaging

Jhaney

Reaction score
Mine was just thrown in a box with no packing. Box was torn but no damage and hardware was there

gr8ridn

Reaction score
I am beginning to suspect those pallets of parts were intended to be destroyed due to the engineering stop order. Someone got the parts before they were disposed and hastily boxed them up for resale. I have no proof. Destroying parts and entire automobiles due to safety or compliance issues is common place in the automotive industry. Liability is more costly than the monetary loss.

geotex1

Reaction score
I am beginning to suspect those pallets of parts were intended to be destroyed due to the engineering stop order. Someone got the parts before they were disposed and hastily boxed them up for resale. I have no proof. Destroying parts and entire automobiles due to safety or compliance issues is common place in the automotive industry. Liability is more costly than the monetary loss.

You folks with conspiracy theories...

This is STANDARD packaging in the automotive industry unless there's shiny in the box. Stop blaming Mopar America too for the way the supplier packages the part for normal consumption in a dealer service center. You are always free to file a claim for damage with the commercial carrier.

The packaging was actually improved by putting the hardware in a baggy. It used to be tossed in the box. The hardware loss is a known risk, and you're choosing to take it when you order. There's always waiting for the revised part release and full price at your dealer's parts department, and you can yell at the counter person if there's any issue!

Last edited:

Nick54

Reaction score
Got my step today, box was somewhat beat up, once I opened it up I found an empty small parts bag, instruction sheet, step assembly, 3 bolts and 2 nuts. Happy to have everything expected. These instructions will likely cause some frustration for anyone without basic mechanical ability. Some pictures of the box for those who asked.

Attachments

• Box 1.jpg
    Box 1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Box 2.jpg
    Box 2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Box 3.jpg
    Box 3.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

gr8ridn

Reaction score
I have to say a poor job of packaging by Mopar parts. Good to hear you got all the hardware.
I expect my order to be delivered tomorrow. I will report here if things are missing.

John

Reaction score
Contacted my dealer and he can't sell the steps due to the continuing engineering hold! I have a 50% off coupon for my dealer so I don't want to shop elsewhere!

John

ecb12

Reaction score
Contacted my dealer and he can't sell the steps due to the continuing engineering hold! I have a 50% off coupon for my dealer so I don't want to shop elsewhere!

John

I have one on order at my dealer as well, same story.

Nick54

Reaction score

John
I have one on order at my dealer as well, same story.

WOW 50% great deal - Well Done Sir's. I would have waited also if I had one of those.

gr8ridn

Reaction score
I got my step today and like the other reports the box was damaged with several small holes. Fortunately this step is so well built I don't think any shipping could damage it.
The good news all the hardware was in the box along with the instruction so I got the complete kit. I'm looking forward to installing it tomorrow. With the excellent installation information shared in this thread I don't anticipate and issues.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven’t received mine yet but I’m guessing these boxes have holes because it sounds like this bed step is a heavy duty piece and probably bangs all around and tears up the box. They probably should have found a tighter fitting box or out some foam wrap in there. Another good idea would be to use some packing tape to secure the bag of nuts/bolts to the step itself. Then nothing gets lost even if box tears a little

ww874

Reaction score
I haven’t received mine yet but I’m guessing these boxes have holes because it sounds like this bed step is a heavy duty piece and probably bangs all around and tears up the box. They probably should have found a tighter fitting box or out some foam wrap in there. Another good idea would be to use some packing tape to secure the bag of nuts/bolts to the step itself. Then nothing gets lost even if box tears a little
Same here box was a bit beat up but everything was there. Install was a bit of a PITA in 25 degree weather but step fits perfect and I think it's a must have option. I use it all the time.

Nick54

Reaction score
Same here box was a bit beat up but everything was there. Install was a bit of a PITA in 25 degree weather but step fits perfect and I think it's a must have option. I use it all the time.
Was there an issue with an electric cable relocation, if so, how did you resolve it?

ww874

Reaction score
Was there an issue with an electric cable relocation, if so, how did you resolve it?
No major issues when installing. The step itself is solid and a bit heavy. In order to get the bolts in you have to hold it with one hand while aligning the bolts. It's a tight fit but once everything is lined up it fits perfect. The electrical wires/connector can be worked around without unplugging anything. Once the step is installed I used a zip tie to rescure the wires to the frame of the step. There's already a small hole in the step to slip the zip tie through. Like I said if it wasn't 25 degrees and getting dark when I started installing it I'd probably have said it was an easy install.

Users who are viewing this thread