5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Start/Stop error

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Ram 1500 LoneStar Off Road and my truck throws this "Service Start/Stop System" when I pull a trailer. It has happened to me 5 times now in less than 5000 miles and goes into Limp mode. I have the dealership looking at it now and they are telling me the error is occurring because the truck did not come with a trailer brake controller. They are telling me the only way to fix it is for me to pay them $850 for a trailer brake controller to be installed. They claim that it is not a warranty issue because the truck did not come with a trailer brake controller? I have a brand new $55000 truck that cannot tow a trailer without going into limp mode and that is not a warranty issue? We are talking about a small utility trailer with a side by side, nothing heavy. Have you ever hear of something so ridiculous. Oh and the brake controller is backordered for 3 weeks! @RamCares can you help?
Was it supposed to come with a trailer brake controller?

Also, that makes no sense. The brake controller has nothing to do with the start/stop system.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Ram 1500 LoneStar Off Road and my truck throws this "Service Start/Stop System" when I pull a trailer. It has happened to me 5 times now in less than 5000 miles and goes into Limp mode. I have the dealership looking at it now and they are telling me the error is occurring because the truck did not come with a trailer brake controller. They are telling me the only way to fix it is for me to pay them $850 for a trailer brake controller to be installed. They claim that it is not a warranty issue because the truck did not come with a trailer brake controller? I have a brand new $55000 truck that cannot tow a trailer without going into limp mode and that is not a warranty issue? We are talking about a small utility trailer with a side by side, nothing heavy. Have you ever hear of something so ridiculous. Oh and the brake controller is backordered for 3 weeks! @RamCares can you help?
I’d find a different dealer….. that’s crap.

does Your truck have a tow/haul button ? I’ve narrowed mine down to the issue only occurs when I’m in ‘tow/haul’ and the code reader shows

U0402
$7E8
Invalid Data Received
From TCM

BlueonBlack

Reaction score
Joining the club with the "Service Auto Start Stop System", blinking check engine light, and what feels like a constant misfire/no fire on a cylinder. Just had it towed to the dealer, we'll see what comes of it.
Hello everyone- appreciate reading all of the posts. So I am also joining the "club". I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn with 5K miles. The service stop/start and check engine light came on last week. The start/stop issue is intermittent- comes and goes invariably but the check engine light has remained on constantly since this issue started. I used a code reader - The code its throwing is related to my ambient air temp sensor. The air temp reading on the gauge cluster said it was 130 degrees and it was 59 out. I took it to the dealer and we swapped out the sensor in the driver's side mirror- easy swap but the error was still present. I have scheduled a service appt. but the soonest I could get in is the end of April. The good news is that it does not seem to affect drivability (no rough idle or shaking or starting issues) other than no remote start functionality. Question: Do you all think I should open a case with Ramcares now or wait until it actually goes into the dealer? First time dealing with what appears to be an issue the dealers do not know how to address. Thanks for any advice...

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Greetings,
We regret to hear that you are experiencing this concern! If you wouldn't mind following up with us via private message, we would be happy to learn additional details to determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Ram Cares

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello everyone- appreciate reading all of the posts. So I am also joining the "club". I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn with 5K miles. The service stop/start and check engine light came on last week. The start/stop issue is intermittent- comes and goes invariably but the check engine light has remained on constantly since this issue started. I used a code reader - The code its throwing is related to my ambient air temp sensor. The air temp reading on the gauge cluster said it was 130 degrees and it was 59 out. I took it to the dealer and we swapped out the sensor in the driver's side mirror- easy swap but the error was still present. I have scheduled a service appt. but the soonest I could get in is the end of April. The good news is that it does not seem to affect drivability (no rough idle or shaking or starting issues) other than no remote start functionality. Question: Do you all think I should open a case with Ramcares now or wait until it actually goes into the dealer? First time dealing with what appears to be an issue the dealers do not know how to address. Thanks for any advice...
Hi,
We responded to your message! Thank you for reaching out.

Rob
Ram Cares

Traindl

Reaction score
I’d find a different dealer….. that’s crap.

does Your truck have a tow/haul button ? I’ve narrowed mine down to the issue only occurs when I’m in ‘tow/haul’ and the code reader shows

U0402
$7E8
Invalid Data Received
From TCM
Yes it has a tow/haul button. My check engine light would go away after a day or two of not towing a trailer and when they scanned my truck there were no open codes.

Traindl

Reaction score
Was it supposed to come with a trailer brake controller?

Also, that makes no sense. The brake controller has nothing to do with the start/stop system.
I would have to agree with you. This is the 6th new Ram truck I have purchased and 4 of them did not have brake controllers and pulled a trailer just fine. I am guessing that the programming is an issue? Like it is programmed to have brake controller but doesn't? I am also skeptical that the brake controller is the real issue and do not believe that I should be the one to pay $850 to find out if it resolves the issue. They told me the truck operates as it is supposed to and that if I want to pull a trailer, it is my responsibility to make sure it is equipped for towing (Even a small utility trailer)! I guess the Trailer hitch, trailer wiring plugs, tow/haul mode are all just for show if you own a new RAM!

TexMarQue

Reaction score
Has anyone had this issue successfully resolved? I had the same thing happen today while hauling a light duty trailer. I’m in a 22 Longhorn with e torque, roughly 2,500 miles.

photinus

Reaction score
Has anyone had this issue successfully resolved? I had the same thing happen today while hauling a light duty trailer. I’m in a 22 Longhorn with e torque, roughly 2,500 miles.
My local dealer took a look at my rig and couldn't find anything other than stored codes for a Cylinder 3 misfire and the related codes for the Auto Start/Stop ones. It was running fine by the time it got towed over to the dealer and hasn't popped back up for me.

Traindl

Reaction score
I got my Ram 1500 Longhorn back on March 10th and on the 12th while pulling my trailer, it threw the error again and put me in limp mode. That is the 6th time in 6000 miles it has done it to me. Just have to pull over and turn off the truck and restart it. The Check Engine light and Start/Stop Error clear after a day and no longer show up when they scan my truck. I even tried turning the Start/Stop system off the entire time I was pulling my little trailer and it still threw the Start/Stop error. RamCares is supposed to be contacting me tomorrow to discuss and we will see what they say?

photinus

Reaction score
Mine came back today. Taking back to my dealer for another round of diagnostic tests.

TexMarQue

Reaction score
Anyone have a contact to speak with a real person with @RamCares ? I need help getting this issue resolved, in addition to another issue my dealership has ghosted me on.

RamCares

Reaction score
Anyone have a contact to speak with a real person with @RamCares ? I need help getting this issue resolved, in addition to another issue my dealership has ghosted me on.
Hi,
We’re very sorry to hear that this happened to you. Please follow up with us via PM at your earliest convenience so we can have this looked into further for you.

Rob
Ram Cares

Traindl

Reaction score
Mine came back today. Taking back to my dealer for another round of diagnostic tests.
Let us know how it goes. I have not had any luck in getting mine resolved. A case manager from RamCares was supposed to contact me in 24-48 hours and that has been 3 weeks ago. Still no contact. 😡

rubrduk

Reaction score
My truck has been at the dealer 8 times for a total of nearly 150 days, a dozen different loaner/rental cars, and missed family trips and the truck is still not fixed.

If it was not for the terrible car market and poor availability of trucks i wouldn't have waited so long and try so many repair attempts, so I'm now starting the buyback process a second time after some false hopes of the truck having been repaired.

I simply want the truck repaired, I really like it...but it appears not even FCA/Stellantis technicians can find a solution.

The auto start/stop warning will turn on at random times and the truck will occasionally die and not immediately restart while you are sitting in traffic.

They have replaced the BCU, ECU, and some other control unit for the etorque system. They have replaced various sensors, adjusted sensors, added wasters to sensors, and replaced a few different wiring harness assemblies.

IMG_8309.JPG

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
My truck has been at the dealer 8 times for a total of nearly 150 days, a dozen different loaner/rental cars, and missed family trips and the truck is still not fixed.

If it was not for the terrible car market and poor availability of trucks i wouldn't have waited so long and try so many repair attempts, so I'm now starting the buyback process a second time after some false hopes of the truck having been repaired.

I simply want the truck repaired, I really like it...but it appears not even FCA/Stellantis technicians can find a solution.

The auto start/stop warning will turn on at random times and the truck will occasionally die and not immediately restart while you are sitting in traffic.

They have replaced the BCU, ECU, and some other control unit for the etorque system. They have replaced various sensors, adjusted sensors, added wasters to sensors, and replaced a few different wiring harness assemblies.

View attachment 124881
Can you just put the auto start stop cancel mod on it or do you like to have that feature working. I understand if like it on a new vehicle but if it fixes the problem it's worth the chance

rubrduk

Reaction score
Can you just put the auto start stop cancel mod on it or do you like to have that feature working. I understand if like it on a new vehicle but if it fixes the problem it's worth the chance

I did give it some thought, but I specifically purchased the truck for the eTorque system and mpg savings as I commute the truck 70 miles a day in some of the heaviest traffic in the country (I-405 Los Angeles) 5 days a week

Also, if the issue is so complex that it’s been unable to repaired after 6 months and 8-9 repair attempts by even Ram’s support engineers/technicians and $10,000 in parts…I don’t believe it’s a wise choice to keep this vehicle beyond its warranty as it has a greater risk of leaving me stranded and potentially needing extensive future repair costs.

Traindl

Reaction score
TexMarQue,

Have you had any luck with your dealer or RamCares in getting this resolved. I am still trying to get it sorted out and it threw the error again 2 more times this last weekend while pulling my trailer. Still waiting on a response to my case at RamCares or from the dealer.

rubrduk

Reaction score
TexMarQue,

Have you had any luck with your dealer or RamCares in getting this resolved. I am still trying to get it sorted out and it threw the error again 2 more times this last weekend while pulling my trailer. Still waiting on a response to my case at RamCares or from the dealer.

good luck, after 9 months, many repair attempts, and a ton of replaced parts...there is still no solution

i'm sending the truck back, Ram technicians aren't even able to identify the problem

Users who are viewing this thread