5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Probably not the only reason...
True, it probably has a different additive package for the application. But, since neither of us are the mechanical engineers that designed either engine, nor tribologists, we cannot only speculate.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
True, it probably has a different additive package for the application. But, since neither of us are the mechanical engineers that designed either engine, nor tribologists, we cannot only speculate.
Speak for yourself. I love tribbles! :ROFLMAO:

1717693218679.jpeg

stevieb92

Reaction score
Since you brought up mechanical engineers, I don't know about you but I am a mechanical engineer with over 20 years experience designing large rotating machines for the US Navy. These machines have 10k+ lb rotating components in excess of 7k rpm that ride on oil film bearings (and in some cases magnetic bearings) with a 50+ year design life. Before I earned my ME degree I was a heavy equipment mechanic for a John Deere Construction Equipment dealer, so I know my way around wrenches and calculators. While these machines are different than an ICE, there are differences and also many similarities. However, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so that may make my opinions worthless. 🤣

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since you brought up mechanical engineers, I don't know about you but I am a mechanical engineer with over 20 years experience designing large rotating machines for the US Navy. These machines have 10k+ lb rotating components in excess of 7k rpm that ride on oil film bearings (and in some cases magnetic bearings) with a 50+ year design life. Before I earned my ME degree I was a heavy equipment mechanic for a John Deere Construction Equipment dealer, so I know my way around wrenches and calculators. While these machines are different than an ICE, there are differences and also many similarities. However, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so that may make my opinions worthless. 🤣
Hence the stipulation, "designed either engine" in my comment. I knew there would be that one guy who said he was a ME.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I like. Watching Lake Speed Jr's videos. He dives into oils and explains the science, and answers the "why"

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hmm, sorry I guess I was wrong then. that big trim piece makes the bed step hang kind of low in the back, which they could have tucked it up a bit more.

azzx

Reaction score
Jimmy

then where is the BSM?
I have BSM on my big horn, however, the taillights look analog compared to my 2019 RAM

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hmm, sorry I guess I was wrong then. that big trim piece makes the bed step hang kind of low in the back, which they could have tucked it up a bit more.

Jimmy

then where is the BSM?
I have BSM on my big horn, however, the taillights look analog compared to my 2019 RAM
Sorry guys, I think those mid range radars ARE for the BSM, and BSM is tied into the whole ADAS system. It’s seems like some of the schematics are incomplete and have some misleading info, like the pic below showing the bsm system running off of Lin bus in the tails.
IMG_0674.jpeg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll change the subject, I just drove a 2024 Ford 150 4X4 Ford Platinum 300 miles with the 3.5 Ecoboost Hybrid. Even though I haven't drove the new Ram 1500 SST, the posts here makes it clear about the Ram's behavior. It only got 18.5 MPG, and thats a Hybrid, in bumber to bumper or in slow neighborhoods, it ran on batteries. I then Drove a 2022 Ford 150 King Ranch 3.5 Ecoboost for 300 miles and it got the same milage. The 2024 had 6 miles on the dash, so it was virgin miles for the computer. I didn't hand calculate because I couldn't fill the tanks, they are not mine nor did I want to donate that, so its just displayed MPG. The engines had rough idles and a slight turbo lag, but they did have power, however I felt my Hemi was better, and it got 20 MPG on the same route, but then I'm biased.
Those were likely two higher-optioned (thus heavier) Fords than your Ram, based on the trims you mentioned. My Longhorn will never beat those numbers unless I reset the computer while doing 62 mph and stay there.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Nope, that’s not for blind spot monitoring. That’s a mid range radar for the adaptive cruise system:
View attachment 184437
View attachment 184438
I am shocked they put anything that crucial in the inside corner of the bumper like that. where I live that area fills with Ice and snow on the daily most winters.
we usually bring our trucks into the heated operations area and melt them out because all the lights and sirens go off coming to work. our office girls ram especially gets packed in the front around the air dam area.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Those were likely two higher-optioned (thus heavier) Fords than your Ram, based on the trims you mentioned. My Longhorn will never beat those numbers unless I reset the computer while doing 62 mph and stay there.
I'd be surprised if any F150 is heavier than any RAM with the aluminum beds

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am shocked they put anything that crucial in the inside corner of the bumper like that. where I live that area fills with Ice and snow on the daily most winters.
we usually bring our trucks into the heated operations area and melt them out because all the lights and sirens go off coming to work. our office girls ram especially gets packed in the front around the air dam area.
There’s a closeout panel covering them, eliminating any chance of ice in front of the radar. Any ice buildup on the backside and around the radar has no effect on it’s operation.
I believe they are an afterthought, because the competition started doing those first and Ram quickly designed them.
Not an afterthought, and they didn’t just design them on the fly for Ram in response to competition. The same ADAS system has been in use by stellantis on the wagoneers and grand Cherokees.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I can’t speak for the Jeep line, but it wasn’t offered on Ram until the competition offered one. FWIW, I’m new to the 1/2 Ton segment, the last 1/2 Ton was a 71 Dodge A100, until I bought a used 2020 1500 last year. So forgive me if I’m wrong, but I believe Ford Trucks were the first with one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online