5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of the various Chevy small blocks I had over the years…not so much the 5.0, which wasn’t so special, but the 5.7, 6.0, and 8.1 I had in various vehicles were all solid in the right application.
Only the early GM motors in the 60's and 70's are the ones I like, my favorite is the 327, but I've always been a Mopar guy. It was a sad day, the day the 318 hit the scrap heap, I hope the 5.7 Hemi stays alive.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well let me further educate you then, BMW was not a car manufacturer until after the end of WWII. BMW manufactured aircraft engines, which were also used in the military in the war. Maybe its the reason the rings, in their engines never last as long as the competitors. In aircraft engines, there are required mandatory rebuilds for safety, which IMHO is probably the reason.

View attachment 182719

Their logo represents a propeller blade spinning.

This thread just keeps getting better. Now we're getting incorrect information on aircraft engine TBO's.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well let me further educate you then, BMW was not a car manufacturer until after the end of WWII. BMW manufactured aircraft engines, which were also used in the military in the war. Maybe its the reason the rings, in their engines never last as long as the competitors. In aircraft engines, there are required mandatory rebuilds for safety, which IMHO is probably the reason.

View attachment 182719

Their logo represents a propeller blade spinning.
Actually, BMW started producing cars before WWII, but switched to aircraft engines during the war. They produced their first car in 1928. You are correct though that they produced aircraft engines before they made cars.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
A couple of days ago, in the mail I received certificate for $5000 off on any Ram. This is addition to any national incentives.
In the smaller print it states the $5000 off is also good on any Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, or Alfa. Same deal with the national incentives on these brands.
I can't find what the current incentives are on the '25's. The '24's only are offering $2500 which is awful compared to the 15% they were offering not long ago.
Is this random or have you been a customer for awhile?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
When I was living in the desert southwest we used it in a more derogatory way. Used for describing larger south of the border gals.

BowDown

Reaction score
No naturally aspirated 3.0 I6 will beat the Hemi, so Ram upgraded the I6 with twin turbos and overhead cams to beat the Hemi, they had to up the HP over the Hemi to get buyers to like it. So if you put a Paxton Supercharger to have the same boost as the 3.0, the Hemi will walk all over it. Because it has stock turbo's, it makes it a higher performance engine.

I really miss my 360 Magnum, and my EFI 318 ;)

Paxton? Who the hell still uses a Paxton?
Procharger P1X or go home

JExpedition07

Reaction score
Everyone is using Whipple or Lingenfelter these days, haven’t seen much ProCharger. Lots of factory 800-900 RWHP 5.0 Coyotes with stage 2 whipples on the F-150 boards and 800 HP 6.2’s on GM boards. Ford Performance just released a 2000 HP Coyote block like a month ago. Idk what you’d even do with 2000 HP, but the new iron block will take it if you want to make it lol. The biggest weak link in the 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi’s is the cast crank Mopar runs. Ford 5.0’s and GM 6.2’s both run forged crankshafts from the factory and pretty beefy sintered rods so the rotating assembly can take a lot more abuse. I think you’d be digging into the bottom end to get a 5.7 to hold the #’s Ford and GM will.

BowDown

Reaction score
Everyone is using Whipple or Lingenfelter these days, haven’t seen much ProCharger. Lots of factory 800-900 RWHP 5.0 Coyotes with stage 2 whipples on the F-150 boards and 800 HP 6.2’s on GM boards. Ford Performance just released a 2000 HP Coyote block like a month ago. Idk what you’d even do with 2000 HP, but the new iron block will take it if you want to make it lol. The biggest weak link in the 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi’s is the cast crank Mopar runs. Ford 5.0’s and GM 6.2’s both run forged crankshafts from the factory and pretty beefy sintered rods so the rotating assembly can take a lot more abuse. I think you’d be digging into the bottom end to get a 5.7 to hold the #’s Ford and GM will.

LS still uses a lot of prochargers unless its an LS9, LSA or LT4. Midnight Perf uses everything, AMP is ProCharger and Kong Perf. Agree with you on the 5.7 and 6.4's, those cant take boost. For clarity, boost to me is 20+ pounds.

2000HP would be crazy fun but itd be nice if Ram did something like Fords FP700, be curious to see how the aftermarket responds to the HO Hurricane, love to see a 700whp Tungsten

dcchris311

Reaction score
LS still uses a lot of prochargers unless its an LS9, LSA or LT4. Midnight Perf uses everything, AMP is ProCharger and Kong Perf. Agree with you on the 5.7 and 6.4's, those cant take boost. For clarity, boost to me is 20+ pounds.

2000HP would be crazy fun but itd be nice if Ram did something like Fords FP700, be curious to see how the aftermarket responds to the HO Hurricane, love to see a 700whp Tungsten
I can see that happening especially since they'll be running forged internals from the factory.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I would never put a Paxton (was just a reference) on my 5.7, just making a point that the Hurricane is maxed out in HP out of the box. If I ever need to install a short block, which I have done in the past with other engines, I'd upgrade to the 6.4 cam and ARP head studs, from that point on it'd only be budget restricted.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would never put a Paxton (was just a reference) on my 5.7, just making a point that the Hurricane is maxed out in HP out of the box. If I ever need to install a short block, which I have done in the past with other engines, I'd upgrade to the 6.4 cam and ARP head studs, from that point on it'd only be budget restricted.
The Hurricane is not maxed out from the factory. Not sure where you are getting that infom

BowDown

Reaction score
How's the Hurricane is maxed out in HP out of the box?
Why do people keep talking about the 6.4 or what the 6.4 cam? The 6.4 truck engine only makes 410 hp and 429 TQ. Thats a 15 hp and 20 TQ over the 5.7, I don't consider that much of an improvement.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
:unsure:, Inline 3.0 six cylinder, with two turbos putting out over 540 HP.

Users who are viewing this thread