5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on purpose and priorities. At this stage for me a half ton is for fun, so I love the Hemi!

I understand that relative to every other half ton maker’s top-shelf motor it is weak. I don’t give a rats, it’s still my favorite engine because of how it feels, works and sounds.

For context I’m also a Miata guy, which is weak relative to most any other sports car.

Neither is weak relative to vehicles from long ago, both have superlative power for their mission, and neither can be compared to unrelated classes of vehicles.

In the EV age I just don’t care about horsepower all that much anymore.
It’s all about character. And that’s coming from someone who used to spend lots of $$ to go down a drag strip as quickly as possible.

Of course I might just be getting old.

If I went back to using a truck for work then I’d look at a turbo half ton again or an HD. And I do believe the Hurricane will be among the best of the breed.
Hemi has character. I give you that.

And I do remember when I was very young, the Chevy V8 came out with crazy HP…. 250hp.
Big deal back then.

I also realize that when I use the term “weak”, it is relative. Can’t have everything in a 1/2 ton,
but I think the new engines will be a welcoming addition to those that have owned a hemi. Maybe not for those that have a hemi for sound and character.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hemi has character. I give you that.

And I do remember when I was very young, the Chevy V8 came out with crazy HP…. 250hp.
Big deal back then.

I also realize that when I use the term “weak”, it is relative. Can’t have everything in a 1/2 ton,
but I think the new engines will be a welcoming addition to those that have owned a hemi. Maybe not for those that have a hemi for sound and character.
It's not an addition.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Sure you can. TRX = Power, sound, and character.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ram is reducing that character with the RHO. I'm reserving my judgement on the RHO until I actually see and hear one in person.

Not reducing, but eliminating the character. :confused: It will most likely be a great truck and Ram will probably sell a bunch of them, especially since it has better specs and price than the Raptor. I think the lack of an exhaust clip in their launch video is very telling.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Old school V8 vrs I6, I6 more torque, V8 more HP. However they were simple engines, and made lower HP vrs same cubic inch. Todays engines with the computers and closer tolerances as well as better mechanical designs, to squeeze every once of fuel economy from an engine. look at the BMW's and Mercedes V-8's, their extremely complicated with overhead cams and timing chains and belts, hell theres a Duramax Diesel with a belt driven oil pump at the back of the engine. I guess we'll see the problems that come with the new Ram 3.0 I6 motor in the next couple of years.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Old school V8 vrs I6, I6 more torque, V8 more HP. However they were simple engines, and made lower HP vrs same cubic inch. Todays engines with the computers and closer tolerances as well as better mechanical designs, to squeeze every once of fuel economy from an engine. look at the BMW's and Mercedes V-8's, their extremely complicated with overhead cams and timing chains and belts, hell theres a Duramax Diesel with a belt driven oil pump at the back of the engine. I guess we'll see the problems that come with the new Ram 3.0 I6 motor in the next couple of years.
And yet the fastest, most reliable cars BMW makes use turbo I-6 engines.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes they do, but work on one. :rolleyes:
I'm not a BMW guy. But have a local friend with a 900+ hp M3 Comp, and a 10 sec 1/4 mile X3M. Got to drive his M3 a couple times. It's a pretty spicy little car

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I didn't say they are slow, I lived in Germany for 5 years, and drove MB and BMW as well as other makes. Mercedes is over engineered and expensive, and BMW (Bavarian Motor Works) are quick and a little less expensive. However with the overhead cams and the mechanisms driving the cams make it complicated, then add two turbo's to make the HP that a Hemi makes, makes it a service nightmare.

The Hemi is simple, easy to work on, and the long production period makes a great source for aftermarket performance products. If I were to spend a few bucks, I could add on a super charger, and that Hemi would blow away the 3.0 I-6

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't say they are slow, I lived in Germany for 5 years, and drove MB and BMW as well as other makes. Mercedes is over engineered and expensive, and BMW (Bavarian Motor Works) are quick and a little less expensive. However with the overhead cams and the mechanisms driving the cams make it complicated, then add two turbo's to make the HP that a Hemi makes, makes it a service nightmare.

The Hemi is simple, easy to work on, and the long production period makes a great source for aftermarket performance products. If I were to spend a few bucks, I could add on a super charger, and that Hemi would blow away the 3.0 I-6
Add a supercharger to the 5.7l and even with a good tune, and supporting mods, you would still be staring at taillights trying to race a M3 Competition. And that's straight from the factory

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Add a supercharger to the 5.7l and even with a good tune, and supporting mods, you would still be staring at taillights trying to race a M3 Competition. And that's straight from the factory
Apples to oranges, I thought were comparing Hemi to a Hurricane.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Ok, I'll take a back seat for now, I'll wait for the results, but it will take a few years to show any trouble, at least a buyer hopes for that.

Users who are viewing this thread