5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E.Hands

Reaction score
If we were, shouldn't we be throwing a turbo or supercharger on the 5.7 so the playing field is even and then see which preforms better with power and mpg?
No. To hypothetical.
Look the Hemi is ova!
You get a SST, period.
Erie - body complained about poor gas mileage so they gave us the same mileage with mor pwr.
Ramcares.Ram listens...
Enjoy it. Have fun. Cause thats what we get.

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
I'm not a BMW guy. But have a local friend with a 900+ hp M3 Comp, and a 10 sec 1/4 mile X3M. Got to drive his M3 a couple times. It's a pretty spicy little car
Thread Pics worthless.jpg

:LOL:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No. To hypothetical.
Look the Hemi is ova!
You get a SST, period.
Erie - body complained about poor gas mileage so they gave us the same mileage with mor pwr.
Ramcares.Ram listens...
Enjoy it. Have fun. Cause thats what we get.
I don't have an SST, I have a v8.
And when I need a new truck in 5-10 years + I will buy whoever offers an v8 then, or a super strong I6 with no turbo if there is some new breakthrough of technology.
If there are no v8 trucks and I still want one I will likely setup a deal to have an v8 installed. Maybe some kind of LS swap. Or if I want to go turbo I will go Ford who seems to consistently be ahead of Ram when it comes to engines lately.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Apples to oranges, I thought were comparing Hemi to a Hurricane.
Didn't see the segue where you went from talking MB and BMW to Hurricane. Probably because there wasn't one, so hard to know.

As far as Hemi vs Hurricane and making modifications. Once you stop comparing stock to stock, it's also an apple to oranges comparison. And once aftermarket support for tuning the Hurricane happened the Hemi will still be second fiddle when it comes to performance. Just putting a supercharger on the Hemi and nothing else, it will still be slower than the HO Hurricane.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If we were, shouldn't we be throwing a turbo or supercharger on the 5.7 so the playing field is even and then see which preforms better with power and mpg?
No, because modifying away from stock isn't apples to apples.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I’m fairly certain very few HEMI drivers “need” its “weak” 395 HP very often…if ever. Some of us remember when most trucks had V8s in the 225-250 HP range, and somehow we all got by!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't saying to modify stock.
I'm saying Ram could release the engine as a stock.
Same thing as the I6 except with a v8 and then can compare it to the Hurricant.
That doesn't help the emissions or fuel economy issues the Hemi has.

And they already have, it's called the TRX

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That doesn't help the emissions or fuel economy issues the Hemi has.

And they already have, it's called the TRX
Never does the hurricane, and the TRX's base price was as much as a fully loaded Limited and designed for offroad not street play.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Didn't see the segue where you went from talking MB and BMW to Hurricane. Probably because there wasn't one, so hard to know.

As far as Hemi vs Hurricane and making modifications. Once you stop comparing stock to stock, it's also an apple to oranges comparison. And once aftermarket support for tuning the Hurricane happened the Hemi will still be second fiddle when it comes to performance. Just putting a supercharger on the Hemi and nothing else, it will still be slower than the HO Hurricane.

No, because modifying away from stock isn't apples to apples.

No naturally aspirated 3.0 I6 will beat the Hemi, so Ram upgraded the I6 with twin turbos and overhead cams to beat the Hemi, they had to up the HP over the Hemi to get buyers to like it. So if you put a Paxton Supercharger to have the same boost as the 3.0, the Hemi will walk all over it. Because it has stock turbo's, it makes it a higher performance engine.

For what it’s worth, I’m fairly certain very few HEMI drivers “need” its “weak” 395 HP very often…if ever. Some of us remember when most trucks had V8s in the 225-250 HP range, and somehow we all got by!

I really miss my 360 Magnum, and my EFI 318 ;)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No naturally aspirated 3.0 I6 will beat the Hemi, so Ram upgraded the I6 with twin turbos and overhead cams to beat the Hemi, they had to up the HP over the Hemi to get buyers to like it. So if you put a Paxton Supercharger to have the same boost as the 3.0, the Hemi will walk all over it. Because it has stock turbo's, it makes it a higher performance engine.
The Hurricane was designed to be a turbo engine. And once again, say if I do X to my car, it will be the Y car that is stock, is a Jr high level argument. And to build the 5.7 enough to handle the boost levels the Hurricane runs would be well over $10k, plus the cost of the Paxton.

I don't miss mine, I still have it. It's getting rebuilt at this time into a 410 stroker.
PXL_20240417_012734440.MP.jpg

RVTRKN

Reaction score

I was comparing the complicated overhead cams with the Euro stuff vrs the 3.0 I6, as far as the Hurricane are concerned. My intention was never to compare Euro engines to the Hemi. The Stock performance Euro engines are stronger than ours, but working on them will blow your budget.

PetePA

Reaction score
The Hurricane was designed to be a turbo engine. And once again, say if I do X to my car, it will be the Y car that is stock, is a Jr high level argument. And to build the 5.7 enough to handle the boost levels the Hurricane runs would be well over $10k, plus the cost of the Paxton.

I don't miss mine, I still have it. It's getting rebuilt at this time into a 410 stroker.
View attachment 182709
What is the engine part called in the attachment?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240506-210414.png
    Screenshot_20240506-210414.png
    995 KB · Views: 15

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup. Not to mention many also had lifts and big tires as well. I had a 360 in 1999 that was pretty pathetic compared to the current Hemi. Funny thing is it got better gas mileage than now.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of the various Chevy small blocks I had over the years…not so much the 5.0, which wasn’t so special, but the 5.7, 6.0, and 8.1 I had in various vehicles were all solid in the right application.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Yeah, but we know what BMW stands for now. :rolleyes:
Well let me further educate you then, BMW was not a car manufacturer until after the end of WWII. BMW manufactured aircraft engines, which were also used in the military in the war. Maybe its the reason the rings, in their engines never last as long as the competitors. In aircraft engines, there are required mandatory rebuilds for safety, which IMHO is probably the reason.

1715083091031.png

Their logo represents a propeller blade spinning.

Users who are viewing this thread