5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What are y'all doing to your batteries?? I suggest stop trying to power your home with them!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The factory battery in our 2020 Limited (non etorque Hemi) died at just under 3 years. Etorque (stop/start) isn't what's killing them.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The factory battery in our 2020 Limited (non etorque Hemi) died at just under 3 years. Etorque (stop/start) isn't what's killing them.
Maybe so, but it aint helping the situation unless Ram is going to start putting higher quality batteries in these very expensive trucks

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe so, but it aint helping the situation unless Ram is going to start putting higher quality batteries in these very expensive trucks
You have nothing to back that up except your opinion. It's okay to have an opinion, just as long as you aren't trying to pass it off as fact without verifying that that opinion is in fact accurate.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You have nothing to back that up except your opinion. It's okay to have an opinion, just as long as you aren't trying to pass it off as fact without verifying that that opinion is in fact accurate.
The fact is the batteries on the Ram 1500s seem to have a larger then expected failure rate.
Nothing more nothing less.

Putting extra stress on a 12V battery, draining it down further will cause it's lifespan to reduce, the same as fast charging a phone except worse (charging is more of a heat problem due to lithium ion not lead acid like car batteries but you should get the idea). These are facts.
Start and stop will put extra stress on the battery will will reduce it's life, even if unable to measure the exact amount, this is also a fact.

Ram removing eTorque and keeping start-stop would not seem to produce any positive effects for the battery at face value and if anything degrade it more, this is an assumption and i'm sure there is some fact to be found in there either direction.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The fact is the batteries on the Ram 1500s seem to have a larger then expected failure rate.
Nothing more nothing less.

Putting extra stress on a 12V battery, draining it down further will cause it's lifespan to reduce, the same as fast charging a phone except worse (charging is more of a heat problem due to lithium ion not lead acid like car batteries but you should get the idea). These are facts.
Start and stop will put extra stress on the battery will will reduce it's life, even if unable to measure the exact amount, this is also a fact.

Ram removing eTorque and keeping start-stop would not seem to produce any positive effects for the battery at face value and if anything degrade it more, this is an assumption and i'm sure there is some fact to be found in there either direction.
Sure, no one is disputing what can reduce the life of a battery. And I doubt you'll find many here that don't think the factory spec battery is junk. But you haven't shown any proof that the etorque system even puts more stress on the 12v battery. It uses the 48v battery for stop/start operation. It uses a dc to dc converter in the 48v battery pack to charge the 12v main battery. That certainly isn't harder on the 12v battery. In what way is the etorque system harder on the 12v battery, and why would the non etorque trucks have a seemingly similar failure rate?

Reaction score
Where are you guys looking up the 2025 production numbers? I ordered mine 3/16 and haven’t seen any movement. Got a vin but that’s it.

PetePA

Reaction score

He said "it ain't helping the situation" when referring to auto start/stop affecting battery life. I'd consider this to be a fact. Auto Stop/Start will not help a battery last longer.

He also said "unless Ram is going to start putting higher quality batteries in these very expensive trucks". While higher quality can mean several things, I think the average person would consider it to include longer lasting. So again, it's not necessarily a fact but I'd say it's pretty close to being one. :)

Just my 2 cents!

PetePA

Reaction score
Where are you guys looking up the 2025 production numbers? I ordered mine 3/16 and haven’t seen any movement. Got a vin but that’s it.
Filtering on their website - that's about it. We're at the mercy of Ram's website being accurate. I have data I'll share next week!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He said "it ain't helping the situation" when referring to auto start/stop affecting battery life. I'd consider this to be a fact. Auto Stop/Start will not help a battery last longer.

He also said "unless Ram is going to start putting higher quality batteries in these very expensive trucks". While higher quality can mean several things, I think the average person would consider it to include longer lasting. So again, it's not necessarily a fact but I'd say it's pretty close to being one. :)

Just my 2 cents!
He's making it sounds like the AS/S feature is going to kill the batteries quickly which just isn't the case. I'd wager the effect on the batteries would be unmeasurable by the average person. And any claims of battery failure caused by it would be purely anecdotal. There are far more people who haven't had problems with batteries than those who have. You just don't usually hear people coming to a car forum celebrating no issues.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you got a VIN you're a head of most of us. What trim level of 2025 truck did you order?

I ordered a Limited and my order is only confirmed, no VIN yet.

E.Hands

Reaction score
He's making it sounds like the AS/S feature is going to kill the batteries quickly which just isn't the case. I'd wager the effect on the batteries would be unmeasurable by the average person. And any claims of battery failure caused by it would be purely anecdotal. There are far more people who haven't had problems with batteries than those who have. You just don't usually hear people coming to a car forum celebrating no issues.
Fact: Starting your engine pulls more amps from the battery than any other function in your trucks operation.
And I do not believe that he was saying that the eTorque system was putting more stress on the 12volt system, it's quite the contrary.

But since were spit-ballin ideas, how's bout this:
Any and every starter ever built has a finite number of times that it will start the engine. One day after so many uses it will fail, inevitably. Right?
Well how many more times will a vehicle with the AS/S feature call on the starter to do it's thing compared to one without?

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Fact: Starting your engine pulls more amps from the battery than any other function in your trucks operation.
And I do not believe that he was saying that the eTorque system was putting more stress on the 12volt system, it's quite the contrary.

But since were spit-ballin ideas, how's bout this:
Any and every starter ever built has a finite number of times that it will start the engine. One day after so many uses it will fail, inevitably. Right?
Well how many more time will a vehicle with the S/S feature call on the starter to do it's thing compared to one without?

Exactly! The extra stress on the starter is a big concern.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Just my 2 cents!
His response was to my saying the etorque system isn't what's killing the batteries. Your post shows that you don't understand how the etorque system works or you aren't referring to what Ram has been using for its stop/start systems until now. Etorque doesn't use the main starter or main 12v battery. It uses the belt driven starter/generator (BSG) and the 48v etorque battery for restarts. He never gave facts for how he thinks the etorque system negatively affects the main 12v battery.

PetePA

Reaction score
Your post shows that you don't understand how the etorque system works or you aren't referring to what Ram has been using for its stop/start systems until now.

No, my post was a literal interpretation of what Darksteel stated. That's it.

Edit: I stand corrected! I did misread his original post! I thought he was referring to auto stop/start and didn't catch that he was referring to etorque. My bad.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Removed my post because it had nothing to do with:

Anyone getting a 2025 with the I6 Hurricane?​

And as much as I love my paid off truck... and feel like everything is moving towards a over-engineered, complexity driven obsolescence,
a 2026 or 2027 might be a real nice way to spend six figures!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online