5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You left out a few things:
  1. Fuel economy
  2. Emissions
  3. Weight on the front of the truck
  4. Increased Horsepower
  5. Increased Torque
  6. Increased Average Power
  7. Where it makes power (low speed power)
Those are a few

You cannot honestly speak longevity, duty cycle, cost of maintenance due to the short run vs the hemis 20+ year run of which many of here complained about the HEMI's alleged lifter issues or did you forget?
Again, YOU are the only one focused on 0-60, no one else has brought that up but you keep harping on it as though that's all some care about. News flash, If I wanted a fast truck, Id buy a SCRB F150 5.0 and TT or 3.0 whipple it.

Facts, you and a few others hate the I6, you're angry that the HEMI is gone for now so all you do is spout negative uneducated bull :poop: about the 2025 truck when a few months ago all you were doing was whining about the eTorque HEMI.

You've told everyone how much you dislike the hurricane, why are you continually in these threads muddying them with your repetitive false information? You're not going to stop a single person from buying a 2025 with a hurricane😄

Fuel economy, don't make me laugh.

Emissions, completely irrelevant. Do you think they put a cookie in the mail every month for you just because you reduced emissions?

Power and torque are covered under acceleration, lets do a little thinking please.

Facts are, the hurricane only beats the hemi on acceleration/0-60/power.

Lot of ecoboost lovers in the closet here apparently. Who'd a thunk. 🙃

silver billet

Reaction score
Just my opion.

Sorry, no difference refers to needing the proper engineering to handle the desired output and longevity.
Using the Cummins as an example, 25 years ago it had 160 hp and now, 420. That's with only a 15%ish increase in displacement. Technology improve every year To get us here. Correct? As far as the weight statement, if the engine was 900 lbs 25 years ago at 160hp, the 420hp engine should weigh 2,250lbs with your logic or did I misunderstand what you tried convey? Engine weight has nothing to do with power or longevity. It's all in the engineering or am I wrong?
Please respond with your logic so I can incorporate it into my knowledge of engineering and physics.

No insults here, just trying to learn. Seriously. I don't know everything. I use my research and education to analyze all information I read, hear or see to better myself as a human and treat others as equals.

The weight of the engine has a direct correlation to its strength and duty cycle.

The cummins is a bus engine that they put in a pickup; it's completely overbuilt for this application.

The hurricane is dodge dart engine they're putting in a truck; it's underbuilt for this application.

They're both inline engines, but that's where the similarities end. They have completely different duty cycles.

I have no issues with the hurricane due to its inline nature, some of the issues with the hurricane is that it's an aluminum block (weak, doesn't handle heat/stress nearly as well as the iron block hemi/cummins), direct injection (it's going to get carboned up and cause trouble), turbo charged (turbos are wear items, not "if" they fail but "when") with high compression and high boost. They're wringing that engine to death every time it hits peak power numbers.

For guys who just carry their kids to school and a basket of grapes home from the grocery store; I'm sure it'll get you past the warranty. But for guys like me who buy a truck, use it as truck for lots of towing etc and want to drive it until the wheels fall off, its the wrong engine. The hemi is the clear choice for this.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The cummins weighs about 500 pounds over even the 6.4 hemi. It's a completely different class of engine, they put those things in school busses. The fact that you think "there is no difference" is quite funny. Pull out a connecting rod from the cummins and compare it to the hurricane, I'm sure it's 10 times the size.

And while we're on the topic of diesel engine architecture; please look up the most powerful diesel engine in a light duty truck (1500 to 5500 series) and get back to me. Hint, it's not a straight six. The cummins makes a ton of power, and it's a solid engine, but the powerstroke and duramax (both v8s) prove that you don't need an inline to do it.
The powerchoke may make more HP and TQ on paper, but as another in this thread may say, it's a "maxed out" V8. Go to any drag strip or truck pull competition and look around to see what is the most popular engine being used. Hint, it's not a V8

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The weight of the engine has a direct correlation to its strength and duty cycle.

The cummins is a bus engine that they put in a pickup; it's completely overbuilt for this application.

The hurricane is dodge dart engine they're putting in a truck; it's underbuilt for this application.

They're both inline engines, but that's where the similarities end. They have completely different duty cycles.

I have no issues with the hurricane due to its inline nature, some of the issues with the hurricane is that it's an aluminum block (weak, doesn't handle heat/stress nearly as well as the iron block hemi/cummins), direct injection (it's going to get carboned up and cause trouble), turbo charged (turbos are wear items, not "if" they fail but "when") with high compression and high boost. They're wringing that engine to death every time it hits peak power numbers.

For guys who just carry their kids to school and a basket of grapes home from the grocery store; I'm sure it'll get you past the warranty. But for guys like me who buy a truck, use it as truck for lots of towing etc and want to drive it until the wheels fall off, its the wrong engine. The hemi is the clear choice for this.
The Hurricane was designed for the truck/SUV it's currently being used for. When are you going to stop making up things about this engine trying to justify your dislike of it?

BowDown

Reaction score
Fuel economy, don't make me laugh.

Emissions, completely irrelevant. Do you think they put a cookie in the mail every month for you just because you reduced emissions?

Power and torque are covered under acceleration, lets do a little thinking please.

Lot of ecoboost lovers in the closet here apparently. Who'd a thunk. 🙃

Fuel economy: Better economy than the 5.7 however 420/469 for the SO and similar fuel economy with 540HP and 521 TQ for the HO. So, more power, same fuel consumption = better fuel efficiency.
Again, more power with less emissions = better emissions than 5.7

Yes, lets.
0-30, Hurricane
0-60, Hurricane
0-100, Hurricane
1/8th, mile Hurricane
1/4, Mile Hurricane
Power, Hurricane
TQ, Hurricane
Average Power, Hurricane
Lower emissions, Hurricane
Better Fuel Efficiency, Hurricane
Better driving truck, literally every person that's driven both have said, wait for it..... the Hurricane was better

Exactly where does the 5.7 beat the hurricane other than weight and cylinder count?

BowDown

Reaction score

Bull. My LS block weighs less than 110 Lbs yet can reliably hold 1200 flywheel HP and last 100K miles, plenty of them doing it.

Um, no
2 different engines

A, there's no dodge dart and the engine was designed for light trucks
B, what specifically are the hurricane duty cycles you keep mentioning? Not what you think they are, lst the actual duty cycle you claim to know

This is just uneducated BS

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
Fuel economy: Better economy than the 5.7 however 420/469 for the SO and similar fuel economy with 540HP and 521 TQ for the HO. So, more power, same fuel consumption = better fuel efficiency.
Again, more power with less emissions = better emissions than 5.7

Yes, lets.
0-30, Hurricane
0-60, Hurricane
0-100, Hurricane
1/8th, mile Hurricane
1/4, Mile Hurricane
Power, Hurricane
TQ, Hurricane
Average Power, Hurricane
Lower emissions, Hurricane
Better Fuel Efficiency, Hurricane
Better driving truck, literally every person that's driven both have said, wait for it..... the Hurricane was better

Exactly where does the 5.7 beat the hurricane other than weight and cylinder count?

Bro. I love how you spell out in detail that the hurricane has faster acceleration. I literally said that 10 times in this thread.

Emissions; has nothing to do with you and I, it's completely irrelevant.

Fuel efficiency; you wish. That ain't going to happen, doubly so when towing.

You're a little clueless my friend.

silver billet

Reaction score
Bull. My LS block weighs less than 110 Lbs yet can reliably hold 1200 flywheel HP and last 100K miles, plenty of them doing it.

Um, no
2 different engines

A, there's no dodge dart and the engine was designed for light trucks
B, what specifically are the hurricane duty cycles you keep mentioning? Not what you think they are, lst the actual duty cycle you claim to know

This is just uneducated BS

The cummins is the same engine my clueless friend. There are some part differences and tuning differences, it's the same engine. Ask Alex Getty who actually fixes cummins in trucks/busses for a living.

The hurricane is car/minivan engine. It's a lightweight aluminium block small displacement tiny engine wrung up to level 11. They put it in a truck, but that doesn't mean its a truck engine.

You should watch the Ford engineer interview with TFL where they discuss the 7.3 and why they built it over using the ecoboost they have on the shelf. You could learn something about turbos and fuel efficiency in a truck and "difficult" concepts like duty cycle. But I suspect you won't. 🤷‍♂️

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cummins is the same engine my clueless friend. There are some part differences and tuning differences, it's the same engine. Ask Alex Getty who actually fixes cummins in trucks/busses for a living.

The hurricane is car/minivan engine. It's a lightweight aluminium block small displacement tiny engine wrung up to level 11. They put it in a truck, but that doesn't mean its a truck engine.

You should watch the Ford engineer interview with TFL where they discuss the 7.3 and why they built it over using the ecoboost they have on the shelf. You could learn something about turbos and fuel efficiency in a truck and "difficult" concepts like duty cycle. But I suspect you won't. 🤷‍♂️
The Hurricane was designed to be a turbo engine from the get go and to directly replace the hemi V8. Thier is no way you could even mount the inline 6 in a FWD application. If you don't know the Dart and all modern day minvans have traversly mounted engines meaning the engine is mounted sideways, an inline 6 would never fit monted this way.

silver billet

Reaction score
The Hurricane was designed to be a turbo engine from the get go and to directly replace the hemi V8. Thier is no way you could even mount the inline 6 in a FWD application. If you don't know the Dart and all modern day minvans have traversly mounted engines meaning the engine is mounted sideways, an inline 6 would never fit monted this way.

I'm using the word "dart" disparagingly. They'll never put something with 500 hp in a dart, I'm well aware of this.

They'll be putting the hurricane in the charger or whatever they replace those cars with. That's where I might consider it, a car or something doing passenger duty.

BowDown

Reaction score
Bro. I love how you spell out in detail that the hurricane has faster acceleration. I literally said that 10 times in this thread.

Emissions; has nothing to do with you and I, it's completely irrelevant.

Fuel efficiency; you wish. That ain't going to happen, doubly so when towing.

You're a little clueless my friend.

Lol, usually can't backup anything you say and just make BS up as you go passing it off as fact.
In what metric does the hemi outperform the hurricane and I'm still waiting go those duty cycle stats

BowDown

Reaction score

Clueless is calling them the same engine saying there's some parts differences while ignoring the link that clearly shows that they're 2 entirely different engines.

Why do you keep bringing up ecoboost and heavy-duty trucks? Nobody's talking about 1500 engines in a 2500.
This 🤡 :poop:

silver billet

Reaction score
Lol, usually can't backup anything you say and just make BS up as you go passing it off as fact.
In what metric does the hemi outperform the hurricane and I'm still waiting go those duty cycle stats

The stats which show a 5.7 in the 2500 for decade+ and still going strong? That stat? The ones that show there are no turbos used in real trucks that take a beating (like said 2500)?

Even a simple man can draw the line between those 2 dots but I guess you need a map with crayons or something. 🤣

silver billet

Reaction score
Clueless is calling them the same engine saying there's some parts differences while ignoring the link that clearly shows that they're 2 entirely different engines.
Lol. There is a 6.7 that is used in school busses. It's the same engine as the one used in the ram 2500s.

I guess a wikipedia search is too much for you too. 🤦‍♂️

Why do you keep bringing up ecoboost and heavy-duty trucks? Nobody's talking about 1500 engines in a 2500.
This 🤡 :poop:

How do you not understand this yet is beyond me but I'm not going to explain it again.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The stats which show a 5.7 in the 2500 for decade+ and still going strong? That stat? The ones that show there are no turbos used in real trucks that take a beating (like said 2500)?

Even a simple man can draw the line between those 2 dots but I guess you need a map with crayons or something. 🤣

I had a 5.7 in the 2500. They thought they should put a 4.56 rear in it... weak engine.

It would not pull crap, and was very slow. It sucked.

BowDown

Reaction score

5.7s in 2500? Who's talking about 2500's and those were do great that they moved to the 6.4.
No turbos in real trucks? Powerstrokes, cummins, duramax's and all heavy trucks have turbos. Back away from the crack pipe...bro 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread