5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else Frustrated with Tow Package removing features?

Old Ray

Reaction score
These were well after everyone was clear on the two mirror difference (or should have been).
Ok, I was trying to be polite, so what would you call a dealer that ordered a bunch of trucks that will not sell, a manufacture that ships a bunch of trucks that will not sell, and a idiot like me that buys one with out paying attention? STUPID in all cases.

kjn86

Reaction score
Ok, I was trying to be polite, so what would you call a dealer that ordered a bunch of trucks that will not sell, a manufacture that ships a bunch of trucks that will not sell, and a idiot like me that buys one with out paying attention? STUPID in all cases.

There is a line between stupid and uninformed. I disagree completely with your assertion that they won't sell. I also think that the dealer doesn't think the mirror is a real issue and that people want tow mirrors, so they order more. I would throw you and I into the ignorant camp, i.e we were uninformed of the tow mirror differences through our lack of preparation and/or the dealer's lack of informing us. Am I stupid because I don't know how to do the brick work of a laborer? Is he/she stupid because they don't know particle physics? Just uninformed.

Now stupid would be for us to do this again on another car.

Old Ray

Reaction score
There is a line between stupid and uninformed.
Yep, a very fine one, if a decision doesn't kill you it's uninformed, if it does it's stupid.

I disagree completely with your assertion that they won't sell. .
So why then are the lots full of tow mirror trucks?

I also think that the dealer doesn't think the mirror is a real issue and that people want tow mirrors, so they order more.
You might be giving them way more credit then they deserve and do sales support that ? And will future purchasers, that also might not pay attention, be more unhappy customers?

. I would throw you and I into the ignorant camp, i.e we were uninformed of the tow mirror differences through our lack of preparation and/or the dealer's lack of informing us. .
Guilty, as charged.

Now stupid would be for us to do this again on another car.
My strong reaction to this situation is partly based on some feed back from here that this self admitted situation was completely my fault, it mostly is but I think I had a little help.
Another car just might not be a FCA vehicle.

Thanks for the conversation.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here is what I heard back from FCA.
"
I appreciate you taking the time to spell out your concerns with the Tow package removing the power folding mirrors/360 surround view--I read your email in its entirety and agree with your concerns. This is a well known issue that has not been addressed enough. At this point, there is a notice in VOIM (our order system) when the Tow package is added that then notifies the dealer/associate that the folding mirrors/360 surround view cameras are removed. However, when clicking quickly through options I agree that it can be missed. When the truck first came out for order, there wasn't a notice at all, which they only added after people were complaining so you are not alone in your frustration.

I agree that even with the changes, we need to educate the consumer/our dealerships more, and will be sure to mention it on my dealership visits around the greater (City) area. I'm also going to forward your email to our Ram Brand manager at HQ, in the hopes that the website can be a little more transparent. I'll also speak with Cara (who is the Ram manager) and make sure she sends it up the chain to the product guys. I apologize again for your experience and frustration, I completely understand that when you make a large investment such as this, you want it exactly as you imagined.
"

kjn86

Reaction score
Thanks Bsteiner36,

Would anyone say that this is a partial acceptance of responsibility By FCA ?

DEAR FCA: ................. Please, .......Just makes us a kit that we can BUY at wholesale and have installed.

Totally agree. Would love to see how they are helping those who already have the tow mirrors versus those who MAY have the tow mirrors.

Mike133

Reaction score
It was't,................. the dealers for their intial stock inventory orders did not know what was included in that package becuse FCA did not tell them. They just orderd them blind. Red hot special sale on tow mirror trucks coming soon though.
They should also make a point to address heated vs. unheated mirror options. In the northern latitudes, it's a really big deal. It's also a matter of safety.
Totally agree..
Totally agree. Would love to see how they are helping those who already have the tow mirrors versus those who MAY have the tow mirrors.
Haha "sorry for the inconvenience "
Quote from @RAM CARES

JoeRam

Reaction score
I posted this earlier regarding bed Divider but also included the 360 camera comment as well. FCA made changes to the web site that were not there months ago in the details of these items.

"I know on my build, Non Ram Box, I paid 445.00 for the bed utility group. At the time they didn't share that Non Ram Box does not get the bed Divider just the rails and tie down hooks. The Bed rails and hooks can be purchased as a OEM Kit for 226.00. Now the web site shows this in the details of the Bed Utility Group "Truck Bed Cargo Divider (Unavailable with some configurations)" and the Trailer Tow Group details now shows "Surround-View Camera (N/A w/Trailer-Tow Mirrors)" as well as it didn't before. I guess they caught on folks are pissed over them not disclosing this and getting ripped off"

LossPrev

Reaction score
So looking at your signature block, you have a Black Appearance Pkg, with tow and your mirrors tilt when in reverse?
I have the same packages (including the LVL 2 Laramie, and the Advanced Safety) and was told that mine will not tilt due to their not being a control module for it (even though its a selectable option in the radio). I was told via RAMCARE that its only on the chrome tow mirrors, which to me is the dumbest thing to have 2 different options when you're paying more for a package. I just trying to see if Ram is screwing me out of an option im supposed to have.

Haven't seen any one else mention this yet but I'm pissed my Black Appearance pkg truck doesn't have memory mirrors. I mean the memory button is there and moves the seat but won't control the mirrors because they are black "base" tow mirrors. That's in addition to what others have mentioned about losing heated mirrors.

I knew I was losing the power folding and accepted that but no where, and I've searched a lot, does anything from Ram mention losing heat and memory function on Black Appearance trucks. My window sticker also specifically says "Chrome Tow Mirrors" so I'm debating going back to the dealer and saying my truck doesn't match my window sticker.

alantry

Reaction score
Haven't seen any one else mention this yet but I'm pissed my Black Appearance pkg truck doesn't have memory mirrors. I mean the memory button is there and moves the seat but won't control the mirrors because they are black "base" tow mirrors. That's in addition to what others have mentioned about losing heated mirrors.

I knew I was losing the power folding and accepted that but no where, and I've searched a lot, does anything from Ram mention losing heat and memory function on Black Appearance trucks. My window sticker also specifically says "Chrome Tow Mirrors" so I'm debating going back to the dealer and saying my truck doesn't match my window sticker.

LossPrev,

I tried making a similar case about this to my dealer, and their response was "Well you have the Black package, so because of that you get the black tow mirrors, not the chrome. If you want to purchase the chrome due to being unhappy with the black, we will help you out (meaning they'll sell them to me at cost and install them)." I have a open case with RAM about this entire fiasco. Why they offered different options between black and chrome, and the fact you're paying for an upgraded package (Black appearance) and you lose options is baffling.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Still nothing back from FCA. Looks like my sales guy got fired from the dealer or left. Not really excited about losing the only contact I had with the dealer. Still waiting for something back from FCA that's worth a damn.

Last edited:

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just received a call from Mayan Navel (SP?) from Fiat Chrysler. She spoke with me for a little while about the issue's we are having. I informed her that Ram/Dodge should release a recall or do some sort of feature to allow owners to purchase Power Folding mirrors or the Surround View after market. She informed me that's nothing something she can do and that engineering would have to release that in order for it to go through. They don't take suggestions from Forums or Social media about recalls or things to change. I told her that I understand that I am one guy on a Forum but there are a bunch of people who are in the same boat. I also informed her that I sent numerous emails to their customer support group who just kindly closed my case and told me to contact the dealer. I told her I contacted the dealer without any feedback or support.

They pretty much said you didn't read the sticker, legally there is nothing we can do, its your fault sorry.

I did appreciate the call back but I was frustrated that they didn't give any compassion, or explanation how they will try to make this better moving forward. I am not sure who the person was that I talked to but they weren't someone who could make any sort of change unfortunately.

The Saga Continues.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I really have to wonder, with the much larger standard mirror with blindspot, if Ram actually planned to not offer tow mirrors on the 1500 going forward.

In hindsight, that is probably what they should have done.

Prior to 2003 you could not get tow mirrors on a 1500. I would have to check,but i think that went clean to 2009.

They definitely had new tow mirrors planned...the Heavy Duty received some pretty nice upgrades to them.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I posted this the other day on the HD thread.
The HD trucks will have 360 view and power fold on their tow mirrors, so it can be done... Sheesh.

Neurobit

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this the other day on the HD thread.
The HD trucks will have 360 view and power fold on their tow mirrors, so it can be done... Sheesh.

Neurobit
They also have a rearview spotlight and heat...available on all trims.

Hence why I think Ram was planning to not offer them on 1500, as the 4.5 GEN HD uses 4th Gen cab...possible the doors were not modified and we know the 4th Gen mirrors do not fit 5th Gen 1500s...all very odd.

jmac

Reaction score
I have a 2019 RAM Limited with tow package, but no towing mirrors, have the folding mirrors and command view cameras. Bought off the lot. Maybe because mine is a later build, purchased in December.

Users who are viewing this thread