5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else Frustrated with Tow Package removing features?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have a 2019 RAM Limited with tow package, but no towing mirrors, have the folding mirrors and command view cameras. Bought off the lot. Maybe because mine is a later build, purchased in December.
Same here, but mine is an early build, and has tow pkg w/ reg mirrors.
I also bought off the lot, and was specifically wanting non-tow mirrors (since I wanted 360 surround view), so when I found this Limited, I bought it since it was slim pickings back in June). Most other Limiteds (and other trims) around here had tow mirrors.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you sure you have the tow package? You can get the trailer brake controller without the entire package (which is what I have since I didn't want to lose the power fold and 360 view).

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Are you sure you have the tow package? You can get the trailer brake controller without the entire package (which is what I have since I didn't want to lose the power fold and 360 view).
I have trailer brake controller. Assumed that was tow pkg. My bad.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have trailer brake controller. Assumed that was tow pkg. My bad.
No you missed out on Paying $400 for a Tow Package to get 360 surround view and Power Folding mirrors removed from your truck. #SHUCKS

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The tow package is an upgrade on tradesman and big horn. Standard with class 3 which is just the bumper. Standard mirrors are non folding heated. So you do lose heat.

On limited , Laramie, longhorn and rebel, you just need the brake controller the rest is standard.
On the Rebel you lose heat. The other three have heated tow mirrors.
No where does it say the tow mirrors are power fold. Although, multi function is a very broad term.
And it does say on the feature guide that tradesman, bighorn and rebel, no heat with tow mirrors.

I completely agree that this is a huge blunder when the 4th Gen had what you guys wanted. And how does a truck come standard with heated mirrors, but tow mirrors (that have heat since they were introduced in 2003) do not? And losing power fold on a luxuary truck!?!

Just stating the above facts for reference.

Edit: added more facts for less confusion.

Ickabod

Reaction score
I posted this the other day on the HD thread.
The HD trucks will have 360 view and power fold on their tow mirrors, so it can be done... Sheesh.
Neurobit
They have the camera and power, but no heat. Saw this at the car show this weekend.
2019-01-26 14.03.56.jpg

2019-01-26 14.00.47.jpg

2019-01-26 14.03.45.jpg

Old Ray

Reaction score
Breaking news ! (well almost) I have the solution to tow mirror debacle. I have been told on this site that the tow mirrors are my fault and stop winning. So I have and became proactive in finding my solution. A month ago I contact 5 dealers in regards to a Limited to Limited trade, 2 replied at $ 10,000.00 CDN difference plus increased payment , pretty expensive mirrors, huh? Thought about it last week and contacted 2 dealers in regards to Limited to low buck Longhorn (love the interior) 1 has got back to me so far, (with me losing $ 8000.00 worth of options) the best they would do is me paying a extra $ 4000.00 CDN and keeping my payment the same. Nope.

That was going to be my breaking news.

So if the steering recall is applicable to my Limited, I will be taking it to my closest dealer (not the selling one) and while there I will kick the tires on a Laramie, unfortunately (?) most of his Laramie inventory is priced close to longhorn or Limited's.

There might be some good is this crazy man talk, because as a senior I find the 12" screen distracting and like the old school knobs in the 8", I have shut off all the "bad driver" assist features (robot is driving) on the Limited so don't need level 2 etc., and I find my black interior boring.

Can anyone help by enabling me for reasons for getting a Laramie instead of keeping my Limited
(the right thing to do of course) ?

The only other problem I have is getting the same colour truck so that my grown children don't find out, they are considering intervention (and commitment) for spending their inheritance.

Talk me into this ! :devilish: To be continued.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Breaking news ! (well almost) I have the solution to tow mirror debacle. I have been told on this site that the tow mirrors are my fault and stop winning. So I have and became proactive in finding my solution. A month ago I contact 5 dealers in regards to a Limited to Limited trade, 2 replied at $ 10,000.00 CDN difference plus increased payment , pretty expensive mirrors, huh? Thought about it last week and contacted 2 dealers in regards to Limited to low buck Longhorn (love the interior) 1 has got back to me so far, (with me losing $ 8000.00 worth of options) the best they would do is me paying a extra $ 4000.00 CDN and keeping my payment the same. Nope.

So if the steering recall is applicable to my Limited, I will be taking it to my closest dealer (not the selling one) and while there I will kick the tires on a Laramie, unfortunately (?) most of his Laramie inventory is priced close to longhorn or Limited's.

There might be some good is this crazy man talk, because as a senior I find the 12" screen distracting and like the old school knobs in the 8", I have shut off all the "bad driver" assist features (robot is driving) on the Limited so don't need level 2 etc., and I find my black interior boring.

Can anyone help by enabling me for reasons for getting a Laramie instead of keeping my Limited (the right thing to do of course) ?

The only other problem I have is getting the same colour truck so that my grown children don't find out, they are considering intervention (and commitment) for spending their inheritance.

The Laramie is a better looking truck overall...it will have the proper mirrors.

Better payload, name sounds better, do you need more.

Kidder

Reaction score
Get a Tradesman. Personally, I would live with what you have. Don't take the depreciation hit and just trade it in two to three years from now. I love my Laramie, it's nicer than your POS Limited with no front camera! I'M KIDDING!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nope. That’s the new model. The cameras have been relocated on the HDs.
Look closely...

View attachment 14717
Thanks for showing that. I focused on the window sticker and the light in the center of focus.

That is definitely the mirror from the 2019 Ram HD Tow Tech group, which is awesomely available on all trims.

Why we are such a great community. Everyone takes the time to check things out and work to the end.

Got to figure out the window sticker though.

79 300

Reaction score

Can anyone help by enabling me for reasons for getting a Laramie instead of keeping my Limited (the right thing to do of course) ?

If you are not happy with the truck you currently have, for any reason, I think you should do what YOU want and trade it in. We aren't getting any younger. Enjoy it while you can, It doesn't concern anyone else. I traded a nice 2013 Ram 2500 in to get my 2019. The 2013 looked like new and had 44000 miles. I bought it new. When some relatives saw the new truck they said "Why did you have to get a new one?" I said "because I wanted to" and that was it. Just do it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you look closely a the top pic, down at the bottom...that is a dually wheel...not available on a 2500...window sticker does not match the truck. Makes a whole lot more sense now.
They have the camera and power, but no heat. Saw this at the car show this weekend.
View attachment 14663

View attachment 14664

View attachment 14665

I apologize for not completely scanning the photos, and this shows why a picture is worth a thousand words

Ickabod

Reaction score
If you look closely a the top pic, down at the bottom...that is a dually wheel...not available on a 2500...window sticker does not match the truck. Makes a whole lot more sense now.

I apologize for not completely scanning the photos, and this shows why a picture is worth a thousand words
Yes, you are correct, sorry I uploaded the wrong pic....
2019-01-26 14.02.17.jpg

clotagames

Reaction score
Just realized new 2019 2500 is kind of a hybrid. Looks like old 2500 cab and chassis with a new dash and hood and some motor and tranny changes on some models. Did not get new bigger 1500 cab. Glad I did not wait for one.

Users who are viewing this thread