5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else Frustrated with Tow Package removing features?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just realized new 2019 2500 is kind of a hybrid. Looks like old 2500 cab and chassis with a new dash and hood and some motor and tranny changes on some models. Did not get new bigger 1500 cab. Glad I did not wait for one.
Yeah. I think these are 4.5 gen HD trucks. The 5th gens should come out in 2020 as originally reported. At least that's my suspicion.

Cheers,

Tommy R

Reaction score
I was really lucky that I came across the whole lose-your-folding-mirrors-if-you-get-the-tow-mirror/package deal before I purchased. I'll be doing a fair bit of towing with my 1500 (a Rebel) and so my first inclination was that "Of course I want the tow package!" Make no mistake, though....I didn't care about the tow mirrors. My 3/4 ton didn't have them and I never felt like I was missing out. I also don't think the tow mirrors look very good...either down or in full on ghost trailer attack position. LOL So I was so relieved when I found out that I could get away withOUT the tow package, keep my folding mirrors, have better looking mirrors, and save a few bucks in the process! Best of all I'm not losing out on any cooling or capacity aspects of the truck. :)

I say I was lucky because this wasn't very intuitive and I agree that Dodge should've done a better job of being clear about this. Yes, techinically the documentation is there, but it could be clearer. Also, have the tow mirror styling changed since they came out in the 2nd Gens? They looked it to me, but admittedly I didn't really look that closely.

Old Ray

Reaction score
Yes, technically the documentation is there,
Well not in all cases, it is my understanding that the preliminary information to the dealers did not show the contents of packages (thus many tow trucks on the lots now) and my truck early production window sticker does not explain things. The fact that they call it a package is laughable, it has the bigger mirrors, takes away the camera and folding, and does NOT include a bigger radiator, trans or engine oil cooler, brake controller and hitch, some package. :p

Tommy R

Reaction score
I'm with ya, Ray! To call it a "Tow Package" is just wrong, IMO....especially considering how much it takes away from the truck! :(

RichT

Reaction score
there is no justifying it. they took away safety features from a situation that needs safety feature the most. it is stupid. full stop.

this thread is for ridiculing people who "should have known" and for patting ourselves on the back for "due diligence"...ie...getting lucky and stumbling across the situation.

no normal consumer would ever think twice about purchasing the tow package should they expect to tow, nor should they need to, unless in bizzarro world trying to defeat uberman.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
there is no justifying it. they took away safety features from a situation that needs safety feature the most. it is stupid. full stop.

this thread is for ridiculing people who "should have known" and for patting ourselves on the back for "due diligence"...ie...getting lucky and stumbling across the situation.

no normal consumer would ever think twice about purchasing the tow package should they expect to tow, nor should they need to, unless in bizzarro world trying to defeat uberman.
Which is why I feel Ram was trying to get away from the Ghost trailer scene on Ram 1500 and not offer tow mirrors...or atleast that is what they should do now

The standard mirrors are now bigger with blindspot mirror...and the tech...no need for them in this class.

I just attempt to show the different avenues to find answers.

Some have shown beyond a shadow of a doubt they didn't explain it and some have shown they did. It should not have worked that way, it should have been concrete.

Biggest debacle of the launch IMHO.

And people are worried someone will notice the cab on the almost all new Ram HD...probably not until they join a forum and have it told to them.

RichT

Reaction score
I'm going to double-down on the wife's good will and parlay the debacle into a Powerwagon after we buy our trailer. I'll get a black one with the 12" and it will take her 3 months before she realizes what happened.

giphy.gif

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Powerwagon after we buy our trailer.
Just remeber the Powerwagon is much much lower on payload and towing than a regular 2500...so you don't end up in that crowd too...be sure to do your homework...your looking at less than 1660 lbs of payload and less than 10000 lbs towing...a fully loaded Powerwagon is gonna be right around 1300 lbs payload...just trying to help.

RichT

Reaction score
yep yep, appreciated.

i'll be throwing the bazooka at my camper as it is. Only plan on buying something in the 6k# range gross

:LOL:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
yep yep, appreciated.

i'll be throwing the bazooka at my camper as it is. Only plan on buying something in the 6k# range gross

:LOL:
I know this is off topic. But, it will have the same wheels and tires(if shshe doesn't notice the 2 extra lugnuts) and very similar grille.

Get it in the same color...tell her you traded the dual exhaust for a front winch bumper, got a lift kit, and had Rebel on the seats replaced with Powerwagon...just might work;)

cw_mi

Reaction score
Just ordered mine Monday. I went with the tow package. I wanted the flip out tow mirrors. Coming from a 2500 i couldn't imagine a truck without them.
I knew about the power folding being deleted, didn't know about the 360 camera, which i don't really care. I did not know they weren't heated, now that is disappointing. WTH, they can't heat them ? My '05 has heated flip up mirrors, hell they had them in '02.
One thing i couldn't find out is if the trailer mirrors still have the puddle lights and turn signals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just ordered mine Monday. I went with the tow package. I wanted the flip out tow mirrors. Coming from a 2500 i couldn't imagine a truck without them.
I knew about the power folding being deleted, didn't know about the 360 camera, which i don't really care. I did not know they weren't heated, now that is disappointing. WTH, they can't heat them ? My '05 has heated flip up mirrors, hell they had them in '02.
One thing i couldn't find out is if the trailer mirrors still have the puddle lights and turn signals.

They're heated on Laramie and up models I believe.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Welcome to the world of paying more for less. I know with my limited 1500 the main side mirror is heated, the tow mirror is not.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of paying more for less. I know with my limited 1500 the main side mirror is heated, the tow mirror is not.
Are you saying the main mirror is the large flat glass and the tow mirror the narrow convex mirror at the end(bottom when flipped out)...the whole mirror is the tow mirror, the narrow convex mirror is blind spot. And yes, if that is what you meant then the one is heated the other is not.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you saying the main mirror is the large flat glass and the tow mirror the narrow convex mirror at the end(bottom when flipped out)...the whole mirror is the tow mirror, the narrow convex mirror is blind spot. And yes, if that is what you meant then the one is heated the other is not.

Correct the large mirror portion is heated. The convex mirror is not heated. I just assumed the extra portion is what makes it the tow mirror. The large mirror has a defrost symbol on it to make the assumption that it is heated.

cw_mi

Reaction score
Okay, thats fine. No different than the previous tow mirrors. Do they still have the puddle lights and turn signal indicators ?

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, thats fine. No different than the previous tow mirrors. Do they still have the puddle lights and turn signal indicators ?

Yes mine do have puddle lights and turn signal indicators.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct the large mirror portion is heated. The convex mirror is not heated. I just assumed the extra portion is what makes it the tow mirror. The large mirror has a defrost symbol on it to make the assumption that it is heated.
That is fine and you are correct. I was just clarifying as both now have blindspot, and the tow mirrors flipping out is what makes them tow mirrors.

I believe more and more each day Ram planned to drop the tow mirrors on 1500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online