5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alpharex Headlight Group Buy - Ends 04/30/20!

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know where a ignition fuse would be in the engine bay box im hooking up the DRL i know the black to ground red to battery and grey to ignition...just trying to figure out where a ignition spot would be

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know where a ignition fuse would be in the engine bay box im hooking up the DRL i know the black to ground red to battery and grey to ignition...just trying to figure out where a ignition spot would be

Short Answer: F60

When I ordered the AlphaRex PRO-Series Headlights, I noticed that they did not have any installation instructions posted on there website. So I contacted the Tech Support at AlphaRex. They told me to use the F66 fuse. Which is valid for the 4thGenRams but not the 5thGenRams. After he told me that he did not know which fuse to tap, he said that I could wire it to any 10 Amp - 20 Amp fuse that would come on with the starter.

When I saw that the fuse that was on the pigtail for the DRL's was a 15 AMP fuse I went with a 15-20 Amp fuse. I tested the fuse box with my Multi-Meter to figure out which one I could use that would only turn on when the truck was running. Most of the fuses had power all of the time. The only one that I could find was a F60 Fuse : ECM / PCM / ACT Short Running Valve.

Since this is a critical fuse I decided to use a fuse tap so that the tap was clean.
Our trucks use the Micro 2 Fuse
You can pick one up here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some pics of the install:
Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Short Answer: F60

When I ordered the AlphaRex PRO-Series Headlights, I noticed that they did not have any installation instructions posted on there website. So I contacted the Tech Support at AlphaRex. They told me to use the F66 fuse. Which is valid for the 4thGenRams but not the 5thGenRams. After he told me that he did not know which fuse to tap, he said that I could wire it to any 10 Amp - 20 Amp fuse that would come on with the starter.

When I saw that the fuse that was on the pigtail for the DRL's was a 15 AMP fuse I went with a 15-20 Amp fuse. I tested the fuse box with my Multi-Meter to figure out which one I could use that would only turn on when the truck was running. Most of the fuses had power all of the time. The only one that I could find was a F60 Fuse : ECM / PCM / ACT Short Running Valve.

Since this is a critical fuse I decided to use a fuse tap so that the tap was clean.
You can pick one up here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg

Thanks I appreciate your response and helping out as well. I just started probing with my power probe geez this saved some time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting the wiring is for day light running lights but mine are coming without because it’s selected in the settings
521fffd1792a9a6ccb7b8b6bb2f8b3b9.jpg

shbates1969

Reaction score
fdcfa009fb4f05a290dfc5e6775458ed.jpg

This was after using the remote start prior to unlocking the truck. I leave the dial in the “Auto” position and once I unlock it then the headlights illuminate

Thank you for letting me know that. I feel better already. These are the brightest headlights I have ever seen in my life. The highbeams really blew my mind when I turned them on. I am so glad I changed the halogen to the LED. Man what a difference.

shbates1969

Reaction score
Would you happen to know if I could take the halogen bulbs that came with the AlphaRex headlights and put them in my fog lights?

Mpickwith

Reaction score
Would you happen to know if I could take the halogen bulbs that came with the AlphaRex headlights and put them in my fog lights?

No the AlphaRex are H7 and your fogs I believe are H11. I put the MoriMoto fog lights in and couldn’t be happier with the color and cut off on them. World of difference driving at night now

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im curious if you have the light set to auto then they work as normal Im trying to figure out why I should hook up the wiring harness.. My DRL are working just fine with setting in the dash turned on

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im curious if you have the light set to auto then they work as normal Im trying to figure out why I should hook up the wiring harness.. My DRL are working just fine with setting in the dash turned on
The DRL's will come on at 50% power when the headlights are on. (without wiring the DRL's)

If you want the DRL's to be true Daytime Running Lights when the headlights are off, you will need to wire the harness to the battery and the gray wire to the F60 fuse tap.

Leave the UConnect Daytime Running Light option to off or your headlights will be on all the time at half power.

Sebass85

Reaction score
Yes, You have to pull the factory fuse and put it in the load side of the fuse tap then put the fuse for the headlights DRL in the second slot.
The fuse taps came with 5 amp fuses. The fuse I’ve tapped is a 10amp. Does it have to match the original, or can I use the 5 amp fuse the tap came with? Sorry, don’t know much about electrical. Thanks

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One side seems brighter the driver low beam/daylight

Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg
The fuse taps came with 5 amp fuses. The fuse I’ve tapped is a 10amp. Does it have to match the original, or can I use the 5 amp fuse the tap came with? Sorry, don’t know much about electrical. Thanks
One side seems brighter the driver low beam/daylight

If you look at the pigtail you will see that it came with a 15 AMP in-line fuse. (This tells you that it requires 15 amps to work properly)

So, if you tapped a 5 amp or 10 amp fuse your DRL's will be under powered. You will have to tap a 15 amp or 20 amp fuse for them to work properly.

That is the reason that I used F60. It is a 20 amp fuse that can be stepped down to 15 amps. So I put the original 20 amp fuse back in and another 20 amp fuse in the second tap.
The pigtail in-line 15 amp fuse then steps it down to 15 amps for the DRL's to work properly and at the proper brightness for both units. (7.5 amps + 7.5 amps = 15 amps)

F60 only comes on when the ignition is on or the truck is running; iif you want to stay in the engine compartment and not tap into the cab behind the firewall.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is working normal as expected. Awesome. I may have to adjust them here and there though. My question is does it really matter as to how the led are turned in the housing?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is working normal as expected. Awesome. I may have to adjust them here and there though. My question is does it really matter as to how the led are turned in the housing?

I'm not sure that I understand your question LED turned in the housing. Are you talking about replacing the halogen bulbs with LED.

If so it all depends on the LED that you put in. Some people say that it works better one way than the other. you will just have to play with them and also make sure the polarity is right.

Last edited:

shbates1969

Reaction score
No the AlphaRex are H7 and your fogs I believe are H11. I put the MoriMoto fog lights in and couldn’t be happier with the color and cut off on them. World of difference driving at night now

Where is the best place to order the H11.? I would like to try them,sounds awesome. Can I run led in my fog lights?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sebass85

Reaction score
What’s the trick to adjusting the passenger headlamp....not sure how to get a wrench or screwdriver in there. My light is way too low.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where is the best place to order the H11.? I would like to try them,sounds awesome. Can I run led in my fog lights?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moe1962

Reaction score
What’s the trick to adjusting the passenger headlamp....not sure how to get a wrench or screwdriver in there. My light is way too low.
Take the filter air box out and you have room to adjust the passenger light.

Users who are viewing this thread