5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Flot

Reaction score
But how do you know this is not normal AC production in the 5th gen? Not trying to be rude just curious that maybe this is normal for this truck

My point is that we had a member post what he said was the 5th gen AC performance spec, and another member post what they said was the 4th gen AC performance spec, and they were the same.

I can say I am "not as comfortable" in this Ram, which yes may be normal vs previous gen. But I also posted the actual #s I got for the AC performance test, which in my truck appeared to be 4-6 degrees higher than expected. (I say appear to be, because the effective ambient temp is a little bit of a mystery)

For all of the aruging about sunroof - I don't have a sunroof. I do have a crew cab.

We seem to have a number of members who are saying their A/C Performance feels sub par, and others who are happy with it, it would be great to get some real performance data from both camps. (by which I mean sticking a temp probe into the AC vent and following the procedure on page 1)

I reached out to RamCares to see if they have thoughts for me, and if I should try returning to the original dealer or a new dealer.

Ickabod

Reaction score
This is the coldest reading I could get out of all the setting (Max A/C, Auto, Manual settings). It was currently 83 degrees outside. I do not have a sunroof either.
20180627_161632.jpg
I do feel that the A/C is operating at a sub-par level. Just do not want to waste my time with the dealer ATM until other issues arise to warrant a visit, or if FCA decides to issue a TSB/recall.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be interesting to find where the ambient air temp sensor is in side the cab (should be more than one as well) and record readings at the temp sensor and compare to the data the computer sees the sensor reading. I bet there's something off in what the sensor things the cabin air is.

Cluck

Reaction score
This is the coldest reading I could get out of all the setting (Max A/C, Auto, Manual settings). It was currently 83 degrees outside. I do not have a sunroof either.
View attachment 1701
I do feel that the A/C is operating at a sub-par level. Just do not want to waste my time with the dealer ATM until other issues arise to warrant a visit, or if FCA decides to issue a TSB/recall.

that's pretty sad considering it was only 83 outside..

Flot

Reaction score

If you don't log a complaint with the dealer, there's no reason to assume FCA would address the problem. Please do that - it'll help us all get them fixed sooner.

Craftman

Reaction score
My AC still working great - except when the start-stop -stops. It seems to shut off the compressor and just recycle the air in the cabin. When your moving again the compressor starts working and the cold air returns. This is OK when it's 70, but when it's 95, not so good.

The solution is to disable the start-stop function when in heavy traffic so the AC does not shut off.

Other than that no complaints about the AC and I would be the first one to complain about it if it was not up to par.

With so many with issues, there does seem to be a problem with some trucks.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct. With the sun over it, you almost get a Rolls Royce star headliner affect (EXTREME EXAGGERATION! lol)

I had the pano roof in an all white grand Cherokee with black interior and virtually never had the shade open, I wasn't planning on having the pano roof even on this truck. This is the biggest cab and the darkest color I've ever owned on a vehicle before, I run very warm blooded and it hasn't been below 90 with extreme sunlight for the last 40 days. I really dont know i'f I even have an issue to complain about. For example....I suspect my wife would NEVER have thought the AC was underwhelming.

My wife (who is quick to get cold) said yesterday "the AC in this thing sucks" after we had been driving for 20 minutes.

There seems to be enough members posting in both camps that it might not be an across the board issue, but for those of us with what we deem as less than acceptable AC performance, its certainly an issue given the time of year.

It would be interesting to find where the ambient air temp sensor is in side the cab (should be more than one as well) and record readings at the temp sensor and compare to the data the computer sees the sensor reading. I bet there's something off in what the sensor things the cabin air is.

The in-car temperature sensor (#9) is located underneath the steering column cover. There are also 4 air outlet temperature sensors (#8) located in the HVAC distribution housing.

1532379889260.png

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I stopped by my dealer this morning to get everything finalized as I've been out of the state. I wanted to get them my paperwork and nail down the bank check I need to get. I was hoping mine was going to dropped off today. No such luck. Likely tomorrow. While we were talking, I asked my salesman how many he's delivered. He said 10 or 12 now. Then I asked how many have had complaints about the a/c. He gave me a weird look and said none. Then asked why. I told him about the complaints on here. After we finished what we could, I went over to the service write up area and asked the service writer I always use with my Jeep JK and asked him. Same answer. None. He's one of 10 writers they have and h e was going to check with the some others today and get back with me tomorrow. He said if it was a constant issue he'd overhear others talking about it. He has dealt with a couple of 12" screen freezes, though.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I stopped by my dealer this morning to get everything finalized as I've been out of the state. I wanted to get them my paperwork and nail down the bank check I need to get. I was hoping mine was going to dropped off today. No such luck. Likely tomorrow. While we were talking, I asked my salesman how many he's delivered. He said 10 or 12 now. Then I asked how many have had complaints about the a/c. He gave me a weird look and said none. Then asked why. I told him about the complaints on here. After we finished what we could, I went over to the service write up area and asked the service writer I always use with my Jeep JK and asked him. Same answer. None. He's one of 10 writers they have and h e was going to check with the some others today and get back with me tomorrow. He said if it was a constant issue he'd overhear others talking about it. He has dealt with a couple of 12" screen freezes, though.

We are a very small sample size on here and many find forums when they have issues. People don't go online to praise a vehicle unless they are an enthusiast like many of us are.

I will stick a dial thermometer in my vents when I head out in a bit and take some temps.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think its important to keep in mind that auto HVAC systems these days are highly complex and rely on computer code to make adjustments. There's a lot of inputs that have to be sorted through and that opens up the door for gremlins to pop up in the programming.

Here's the input/ouput list for the HVAC module:

HVAC Module Inputs.jpg

Maybe some of us have something wrong with one of the inputs and that's giving us fits. There's a lot more to be considered than "Put the climate control on this setting and it will work fine".

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That's great for everyone who doesn't have issues (or haven't yet taken it in to be serviced like one of the members above/myself) but that doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist.

I don't know how one could argue that numbers like @Ickabod's 67* outlet temperature with an ambient of 83* is acceptable. By FCA's own guidelines its not... (assuming he followed the steps in the PDF posted earlier).

The dealership @Limited dealt with in Houston for his order said something different than yours - post below (emphasis mine).

My 2019 Limited arrived at the dealer this week so I stoped by the dealer this afternoon to take it for a test drive. I couldn’t believe how underperforming the A/C was. It was in the upper 90’s today in Houston so it was hot but I drove the truck for about 30 minutes with the Max A/C on and it never even got comfortable in the truck, I was still sweating even after 30 minutes of driving. This is definitely not normal. My current 2015 F150 can be freezing inside within about 5 minutes even on the hottest day. Dealer said they would have the service department look at it tomorrow but they admitted that all th 2019’s are like that. Seems that it might be a design defect if that is the case. If they tell me that it operating normal then I will definitely have to walk away from my ordered truck

Point being the data sets anyone has access to right now are small - whether that's an online forum or a single dealership. Making blanketed statements like "the AC system in the DT sucks" isn't accurate because some are having issues and some aren't. But just as inaccurate are statements claiming "the AC performs within spec" because there are documented cases here where its not.

I get a lot of guys on here don't have their trucks yet and want to hear statements like the one you posted about your dealership not having any reported issues because it makes them feel better (it would me too). All I can say is do what @Limited did and test drive the truck once its delivered. If the AC is satisfactory to you, then buy the truck. Otherwise walk away like he did.

And by "you" I didn't mean you @Jus Cruisin alone, but anyone waiting on an order who is concerned about AC performance.

Last edited:

RBRK

Reaction score
I Went and bought a small digital thermometer today. It’s 92 degrees and on max while driving it was as low as 43.7 and stays about 44 .5. At idle it would creep up but then I would take off and it would go back down.

On some of the Honda’s they are coming from the factory overcharged. We are evacuating them and recharging it makes a difference. Some people might have over or under charged systems, no way to know but to suck it down and refill.

The cars switched over to the new refrigerant in 16’ the new stuff was chosen because it was close to R134 but less harmful to the environment Remember the old R12 systems really were cold then R134 came in about 94’ people didn’t think it was as good and it wasn’t now we are on to this. If it’s near 100 and you are under 50 -48 degrees vent temp that’s going to about as good as you can expect.

I do agree the new truck flows a lot more air and the rear console air is much colder too. If you are only getting 66 degrees on max after a bit of driving I would agree something is wrong. I do think the previous worked better I would set mine on 70 and auto and it would keep the blower speed high recir door automatic when needed. This truck isn’t like that so far. They have some software issues I think. Because you can set the auto to low and it will blow like hell forever and the recirc door never closes and it never gets that cold either. Switch to max and it goes down. I also think they are running the blower on auto too high it’s great for moving a lot of air but it’s so much that the air is t that cold.

I will keep watching my temp gauge now and see what I can get the temperature to.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not trying indicate/insinuate there are some that are too picky or need to keep the truck like a meat locker. I was curious and asked locally and passed on what I heard.
My F150 needs a little help with the windows down some for a couple of miles when my wife's in it. I'm figuring I'll do the same with the Ram. We'll see hopefully tomorrow.
My Corvette has the nuttiest a/c (it's a well known issue). It will suddenly blow hot air out of the vents for a short time then go back to cooling. No fix....

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My AC still working great - except when the start-stop -stops. It seems to shut off the compressor and just recycle the air in the cabin. When your moving again the compressor starts working and the cold air returns. This is OK when it's 70, but when it's 95, not so good.

The solution is to disable the start-stop function when in heavy traffic so the AC does not shut off.
The start/stop function is supposed to not Autostop if the climate control is working hard (eg defrost, cooling) see manual page with (vague) specific cases below... needs programming tweak, or a bad/faulty sensor?

Agree with @I Love Grits that these systems are more complicated and intertwined with sensors and computer logic than we are likely used to. Possibly several different problems to work out with this new climate system + stop/start.

For the sake of yourselves and everyone who will eventually own these beauties, please check your systems and if substandard ask the service departments to figure out why the air is too warm, why the Autostop is allowing the cabin to get too hot, etc.

New model growing pains are a fact of life unfortunately. I’m choosing to take the risk with you good folks, and will hope for a Ramufacturer that takes their job of sorting out the issues seriously.
6D9C4EE8-BE9F-4648-BD61-2CB49B25B7DC.jpeg

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They have some software issues I think. Because you can set the auto to low and it will blow like hell forever and the recirc door never closes and it never gets that cold either. Switch to max and it (temp) goes down. I also think they are running the blower on auto too high it’s great for moving a lot of air but it’s so much that the air isn’t that cold.
Yes. Well stated conclusion with logical premises. Worth investigating further! @RamCares please take note of these discrepancies and forward to Climate Control experts! :)

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
75° out, so not too hot here this evening. Set the temp to low, with auto controls vent temps of 52°. Turning it to front vents only and can speed of 2 dropped it to 46°.

BK94wRT.jpg

RcuyfLE.jpg

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
75° out, so not too hot here this evening. Set the temp to low, with auto controls vent temps of 52°. Turning it to front vents only and can speed of 2 dropped it to 46°.

BK94wRT.jpg

RcuyfLE.jpg
@firecadet613 I like the way you photographed that, showing not only the outside ar temp on the display but also the climate control settings and measured outlet temperature. BRAVO SIR.

System sounds normal yes? Granted not being taxed very much... at 75 my AC is off and my windows are down. :cool:

warvet

Reaction score
They do come with a shade. I'm making the assumption that everyone that has posted about temps has had their shade closed and its just radiant heat getting through (not truck to try on)

agreed!! Yeah I have a shade, but its still radiant heat. And if you look up, you can see light just barely peeking through. My shade stays closed except early morning and night driving....or cloudy days. I know that's why it's warmer inside mine with pano sunroof. Having said that, I'm OK with my AC. No, it's not great.....but I'm OK with it. And I like a dark feeling.....so I don't mind keeping my pano shade closed. I don't use sunroofs much anyway

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@firecadet613 I like the way you photographed that, showing not only the outside ar temp on the display but also the climate control settings and measured outlet temperature. BRAVO SIR.

System sounds normal yes? Granted not being taxed very much... at 75 my AC is off and my windows are down. :cool:

Yep. And I'm coming from an F150 with the pano roof to a Ram with the pano roof. I've taken vent temps before you joined here...when it was in the upper 90s... https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...gitimate-air-conditioning-issue.582/post-8551

Just got back from a 1,000 mile roadtrip - no issues with a cab full of people and temps in the upper 80s/90s for the duration of the trip.

If your temps are higher than mine - I'd see a dealer to log it! But as @I Love Grits said, there are MANY inputs to this system. I wouldn't be surprised if some trucks were low on refrigerant as well.

warvet

Reaction score
We are a very small sample size on here and many find forums when they have issues. People don't go online to praise a vehicle unless they are an enthusiast like many of us are.

^^^^^^^^^^yep^^^^^^^^^^

I'm careful with my comments ...not to disrespect those who have real issues. Just because I'm "good" doesn't mean others aren't. But hot/cold/soft/hard/comfortable/uncomfortable/smooth/etc ............are all subjective. For 25 years, my wife and I can't agree on when the house is hot or cold. I get in/out of 3 cars throughout the week and they all cool differently and at different speeds. Shoot....the 2001 Honda Civic I just sold would freeze you in seconds.

I made an appointment, today, for my cup holder. It doesn't stay closed (no biggie).....I asked the advisor if he's seeing AC issues and he said No. I talked to 4 service advisors. They saw 1 radio issue so far. Granted .......that's a small sample size (1 dealership).....just as this forum is!!

Users who are viewing this thread