5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

RT70808

Reaction score
Here’s my a/c results from this evening with it on max recirc.

Outside temp
15A97145-CCD0-4016-AD9E-3A3E0B3783DF.jpeg

Inside temp when I got in it, need to get the ceramic tint installed!!
83D8F60A-866B-4530-9928-DFE8AA8504B4.jpeg

Passenger side

CD51CC58-95E9-4D24-B0C9-23AD9E76E782.jpeg

Driver side

304AFD99-45AC-49D7-B045-B39BA3B36CA0.jpeg

Back vent passenger side

4116B498-1C65-4AD4-884F-041CB35576D9.jpeg

This was after a 15 min trip, it seems the driver vent is warmer than the rest, maybe it’s cooling off the uConnect? Yes there was a heat advisory today and it was in the high 90’s and humid. That’s Louisiana for you.

Attachments

• 2EAD8FE5-CC7E-4EB1-858F-0E6A79381E88.jpeg
    2EAD8FE5-CC7E-4EB1-858F-0E6A79381E88.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 95488111-6188-4931-BA09-49C76D20ADC1.jpeg
    95488111-6188-4931-BA09-49C76D20ADC1.jpeg
    628.3 KB · Views: 19

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I Went and bought a small digital thermometer today. It’s 92 degrees and on max while driving it was as low as 43.7 and stays about 44 .5. At idle it would creep up but then I would take off and it would go back down.

Thanks for taking the time to grab some temp readings & what you're seeing with the Hondas. I'm jealous of those temperatures.

I'm not trying indicate/insinuate there are some that are too picky or need to keep the truck like a meat locker. I was curious and asked locally and passed on what I heard.
My F150 needs a little help with the windows down some for a couple of miles when my wife's in it. I'm figuring I'll do the same with the Ram. We'll see hopefully tomorrow.
My Corvette has the nuttiest a/c (it's a well known issue). It will suddenly blow hot air out of the vents for a short time then go back to cooling. No fix....

Thanks for clarifying your intentions. I appreciate you passing along the feedback you got - you're right; no matter which camp it may fall in, having feedback is a good thing.

My apologies if my post came across as attacking. Congratulations on the new truck and I hope you love it!

Here’s my a/c results from this evening with it on max recirc.

This was after a 15 min trip, it seems the driver vent is warmer than the rest, maybe it’s cooling off the uConnect? Yes there was a heat advisory today and it was in the high 90’s and humid. That’s Louisiana for you.

I believe the uConnect vents out the top of the dash and is independent of the HVAC distribution. A 7* difference could be caused by faulty blend door operation.

borant

Reaction score
The in-car temperature sensor (#9) is located underneath the steering column cover.

Thanks for sharing this it actually explains a lot to me. Personally I do not see any issue with AC compressor performance but bad placement of sensor in under dash pocket probably fools AC control logic due to colder air accumulation under dash. IMG_0375.jpg on the bottom. User guide actually recommends setting airflow to panel mode during hot season.

AZOutdoors

Reaction score
I have been watching this thread and thought I would weigh in. I live in AZ and it is REALLY hot. I do not have a sunroof. I have noticed that the AC is not getting as cold as my 2012 Ram 1500 I just sold a few weeks ago. I have only had my Limited for 5 days so I am patiently experimenting with settings and watching the results of this thread. When I first get in the truck after work, I crack the windows and rear window for a few minutes and have the recirculating button off. Once the inside cools a bit, I close the windows and put the recirculate on. I have driven around for 20 or 30 minutes and the air coming out of the vents is cool but not really as cold as I would expect. I think I will measure the temperature from the vents after a long ride and see what I am getting.

jamesfg

Reaction score
It was 105-106 here today, air blew decent for driving in a fishbowl I need tint asap.

RBRK

Reaction score
I need to check my cheap o temp gauge against my fluke temp probe and see how off it may or may not be but I went out and my truck was in th shade inside temp said 109 outside was 95 started up and drove off for about a mile drive it got down to 49 I was surprised it cooled so quick as far as temp. Then I continued to drive around stopping at a few stores. Truck out in the sun for up to a half hour, so not super saturated, inside temp when I got I. Was lower than the 109 previously Outside Temp now 97 the best I got was 51.9 but it felt really good. That is on max. I switched to auto LO then it went up a little maybe two degrees that was auto LO with the recirc button pressed if no recirc it was up to 56 and rising. but the fan ramps up a lot as I previously stated on auto, I’ve found sometimes the high speed is nice as long as the recirc button is on.

Not much more to say other than I can see it’s working as designed and your coldest temps are going to be on max or auto with recirc on. I’ve worked for a Chrysler dealer for 10 years and Honda currently for almost 20 so I’ve been around cars a while.
Two days ago the high here was 87 the thing felt really cold then, 10 or more degrees in ambient temp makes a huge difference. Ram should have waited til fall to launch the 19’. then people wouldn’t complain til next summer.

They make the systems barely adequate is what it comes down to they have small condensers and evaporators with small capacity of refrigerant. My opinion. I haven’t had a Ford or GM I just know Ram and Honda’s.

Now, what about those rear brakes squealing worse than anything I’ve ever heard? When is the TSB coming out to fix that with a resurface or different pad material? Seriously that makes me wonder do they even test this stuff? Oh ya, the 12”needs a new software update soon it has a few bugs. Otherwise it’s a nice rig so far.

Last edited:

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
Prior to me getting ceramic tint everywhere I was getting 50 at the vent. With TX temps in the 101-107 range...I fell into the it's not cool mindset, but I think it was because I was so mad at the heat outside. (Truck cools down in mere minutes with the ceramic tint)

For those getting readings above 60 my condolences. I hope Ram fixes that quickly

AZOutdoors

Reaction score

I think RT70808 might be on to something when he measured the difference between the driver and passenger side. I also took a digital thermometer with me today and my driver's vent next to the UConnect was consistently 6 to 7 degrees warmer than the passenger vent next to the UConnect. I wonder if that is the case with others that are not feeling the air is cool enough? In the morning on my 20 minute ride to work when the outside temp was 90 (yes 90 at 6:30am...welcome to AZ) the driver's side got down to 54 and the passenger side got down to 47. In the afternoon when it was closer to 115, the driver's side got down to 62 and the passenger side 56. I started with the windows down for a few miles, then rolled them up and put it on Max - Lo.

AZOutdoors

Reaction score
By the way, I am sure Ram will work through the A/C concerns. I hate to complain about this because I REALLY LOVE driving this truck. I keep finding excuses to go somewhere. The ride is amazing and the look and quality of the interior is first class. I am also getting a lot of complements on the styling of the front end.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So...I should clarify my situation. I got my truck the first week of June, and since then it's been over 90 with sun, reading on average 106 in the truck. That's pretty much the hottest it gets here in Kentucky , and before this truck I don't feel that any of the vehicles (all smaller interiors than this truck, and white) had issues. But the last few days it's been overcast and 85-90 and the truck has zero issues, far from it. I just wanted to go on record of addressing my situation could have been completely circumstantial and the variables left me with nothing similar to compare it to. So the cab with sun reading 106 is very rare here, and the truck was able to be on the better side of comfortable, just not ever chilly. I would say for those living in Florida and Texas that get this heat for half the year, probably something you all definitely should be on the watch for as you take your trucks, but as for me....I fear that I was just bi*ching

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got my Limited July 13 and it literally just arrived off transport. I have the same problems with mine. AC is BAD. I still have my 13 so I have been driving it because here its been 114 degrees and the new truck just doesn't ever cool down. I also notice when starting the truck and its on auto the blend door is split to vents and feet which is not ideal at these temps. The only way I have achieved any kind of cooling is to manually go to mode vents and MAX AC. Not sure what the issue is but I knew I was going to have some with a first year redesign. Part of why I kept my 13 in case I had to leave new truck at the dealer for any reason.

I love, LOVE the truck besides. I knew there were going to be bugs but my impatience won over countered my rationality to wait until next year like I said originally. I just saw them and had to have one.

Hope they admit there is an issue and come up with a fix. I have a feeling it has to do with the variable displacement compressor. We shall see.

Flot

Reaction score
The outlet temp shots everyone is taking are interesting, but unless everyone is testing the same way there are just too many variables - especially if you've been driving vs sitting still.

I did measure my driver's side center outlet vs passenger side center outlet and was shocked to see a consistent 4-5 degree difference between them.

Similarly, it was a chilly 88 degrees here and overcast, driving to work this morning the AC was able to get down to arctic temps. To be clear, that was just about an ideal situation, very little heat load, steady 1500-2000 rpm driving, low starting interior temps. (and almost 20 degrees cooler than my sitting in the driveway test from the weekend)

19RamLimited shares my frustration though - if you park a DS and a DT in the sun side by side and start them both, I'd be surprised if the new model cools even close That would be some really interesting data.

Last edited:

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The outlet temp shots everyone is taking are interesting, but unless everyone is testing the same way there are just too many variables - especially if you've been driving vs sitting still.

I did measure my driver's side center outlet vs passenger side center outlet and was shocked to see a consistent 4-5 degree difference between them.

Similarly, it was a chilly 88 degrees here and overcast, driving to work this morning the AC was able to get down to arctic temps. To be clear, that was just about an ideal situation, very little heat load, steady 1500-2000 rpm driving, low starting interior temps. (and almost 20 degrees cooler than my sitting in the driveway test from the weekend)

19RamLimited shares my frustration though - if you park a DS and a DT in the sun side by side and start them both, I'd be shocked if the new model cools even close That would be some really interesting data.

Agreed!! If anyone working at a dealer possibly has a DS and a DT that have been sitting on the lot all day and can check them?? It would be a hassle, but you would receive 20 Alex Points, which are worth approximately 3 and a half Chuck E Cheese dollars

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I still have my 13 and have tried them both parked in my driveway. I did this last weekend because I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. So I started both trucks side by side and let them idle and I was shocked the new truck wasn't even close to how comfortable the 13 was. I always remote start my truck from the app. By the time I get to my truck its always comfortable. Not so with the new one. Now I will do some temps if you guys are interested. I will do interior demo and vent temp. The only thing I have to admit it Although they are both tinted One is White and the new is black.

I will do some testing this weekend.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's warming up so I figured I'd take an updated picture.

Set to 73° on auto, 88° and climbing outside. Truck has sat in full sun for a few hours. Spitting out 44° air.

b9aa9dT.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread