5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Flot

Reaction score
Well, dropped my Ram off at the dealer for a couple of issues this week, one of them was poor A/C performance. I realized I've had my A/C on "lo" temp and recirc almost since I bought it, which is not normal. I've also noticed that the air coming out of the vents when on non-recirc feels a bit humid/clammy. My best comparison was today, as I drove the base nissan loaner back to them and then my own truck home, the A/C in the Nissan felt better.

Dealer said "system was performing to spec" and I didn't have time to deal with them. It does look like they took the caps off the pressure lines under the hood. Any other ideas? Seems like I'm going to have to get a temperature probe and find another 2019 in person to do a side by side with. Trouble is, it isn't a deal-breaker, it isn't actually "broken", it just does not feel as good as my 2011 Ram. (or as any new high $ vehicle should)

Anyone have a way to find out what the temperature differential should be?

Last edited:

cl302

Reaction score
^ second checking your driver and passenger temps are in sync.

Another thing I have noticed in my truck, is that my air feels more "clammy and humid" when the unit is in "AUTO" vs when I just put it in regular "A/C mode. Makes me wonder if "AUTO" mode is tuned a bit for system longevity.

borant

Reaction score
I noticed that A/C appears underperforming when seat cooling on. I had automatic seat/steering wheel heating and seat cooling set for every start, now changed for remote only to avoid seat cooling turning on automatically.

Limited

Reaction score
My 2019 Limited arrived at the dealer this week so I stoped by the dealer this afternoon to take it for a test drive. I couldn’t believe how underperforming the A/C was. It was in the upper 90’s today in Houston so it was hot but I drove the truck for about 30 minutes with the Max A/C on and it never even got comfortable in the truck, I was still sweating even after 30 minutes of driving. This is definitely not normal. My current 2015 F150 can be freezing inside within about 5 minutes even on the hottest day. Dealer said they would have the service department look at it tomorrow but they admitted that all th 2019’s are like that. Seems that it might be a design defect if that is the case. If they tell me that it operating normal then I will definitely have to walk away from my ordered truck.:cry:

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2019 Limited arrived at the dealer this week so I stoped by the dealer this afternoon to take it for a test drive. I couldn’t believe how underperforming the A/C was. It was in the upper 90’s today in Houston so it was hot but I drove the truck for about 30 minutes with the Max A/C on and it never even got comfortable in the truck, I was still sweating even after 30 minutes of driving. This is definitely not normal. My current 2015 F150 can be freezing inside within about 5 minutes even on the hottest day. Dealer said they would have the service department look at it tomorrow but they admitted that all th 2019’s are like that. Seems that it might be a design defect if that is the case. If they tell me that it operating normal then I will definitely have to walk away from my ordered truck.:cry:

Ask them to check the HVAC module for any trouble codes. I'm in DFW and know the struggle you went through. Some of the other members and I have noticed the recirculation door opening/closing sporadically and I believe the blend doors are being adjusted without driver input as well. We took a 1 hr drive the other day and the temperature coming out the vents would fluctuate from cold to warm and back again despite no changes on the settings.

I haven't taken my truck in for someone to scan the module yet. I wonder if anything will turn up on yours if they do.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rats...this is looking to be more and more of an issue. I tried to convince myself that going into the climate control setting and actually pressing max ac, made a difference but on a hot day when the truck has been baked in the sun, it Is able to just barely keep the cab tolerable. It's been a hot summer here in Kentucky, about 6 weeks of 90's but haven't really had a vehicle struggle to keep the interior cool since the first few beaters I owned. I would be surprised if FCA doesn't discuss this within the next few weeks....and if not, they just hoping fall will get us off their backs lol

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Glad you caught this before you purchased it. Let us know what they say - the news said it's supposed to be upwards of 100 degrees near you today!

Rats...this is looking to be more and more of an issue. I tried to convince myself that going into the climate control setting and actually pressing max ac, made a difference but on a hot day when the truck has been baked in the sun, it Is able to just barely keep the cab tolerable. It's been a hot summer here in Kentucky, about 6 weeks of 90's but haven't really had a vehicle struggle to keep the interior cool since the first few beaters I owned. I would be surprised if FCA doesn't discuss this within the next few weeks....and if not, they just hoping fall will get us off their backs lol

Are you taking your truck in to get the AC checked out?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck should be in on Monday. I'm curious if I'll be affected. I typically keep my auto temps at 74° and never use max or recirculate. And, I live in Florida......

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you caught this before you purchased it. Let us know what they say - the news said it's supposed to be upwards of 100 degrees near you today!

Are you taking your truck in to get the AC checked out?

I probably wont, yet. I didn't buy the truck from the two ram dealers I've got in town, so I'd like to wait until a known issue is happening. Like the popping noise coming from the right front, if I can consistently replicate that, I'd take it in. But asking them to do some exploratory search for why my AC isn't as cold as id like it to be seems like a **** move on my part (if that makes any sense). I did try to buy the truck through them two times this spring but each salesman I texted either wasn't working there the following week, or just never texted me back so that kind of rubbed me the wrong way. The other dealer in town was searching for the truck but didn't get me a good deal on my trade so long story short...not sure if they're interested in doing me any favors. The service department is probably not savvy to any of that tho

Flot

Reaction score
I probably wont, yet. I didn't buy the truck from the two ram dealers I've got in town, so I'd like to wait until a known issue is happening.

If you have issues, take your truck in. I felt a bit the same way, but realized that there was no way that problems would be escalated to the factory unless they were reported by service departments.

Limited

Reaction score
I just heard from the dealer and they said that service checked everything including the Freon and it’s operating normal. I figured that’s what they we going to say. Now I’m really bummed out.

fish mojo

Reaction score
Totally unacceptable and too many occurrences of this. Leaning more and more towards buying a 2018 “Classic”.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just heard from the dealer and they said that service checked everything including the Freon and it’s operating normal. I figured that’s what they we going to say. Now I’m really bummed out.

Did you ask about trouble codes?

What temperatures are the techs reporting coming out of the vents? If it's around 40-45 degrees, it's working as designed/normal.

Not necessarily. Temperatures up to 64*F are within spec if the apparent temperature is high enough.

AC Chart.JPG

Good luck cooling down a black truck, with a pano sunroof, in the middle of a 110* day if AC is only putting out 64*...

Last edited:

Flot

Reaction score
Thanks for that chart - I'll throw a temperature probe in mine over the weekend. @Ilovegrits is there any more test data/procedure available?

I did notice an odd blower noise change today just sitting stopped at a light. I do wonder if there is some blend door / recirc door shenanigans going on.

BTW: Whatever you do, don't right-click on that image and say "Search Google for Image..." in Chrome...

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you ask about trouble codes?

Not necessary. Temperatures up to 64*F are within spec if the apparent temperature is high enough.

View attachment 1572

Good luck cooling down a black truck, with a pano sunroof, in the middle of a 110* day if AC is only putting out 64*...

When they are testing the trucks in the dealership indoor bays, the ambent temps will be in the 70's which is why they (the techs) should be reading around 45 degrees.

64 and I'd be turning it up. Everything I own is black. My F150 is black full pano-roof. Sits outside all the time in Florida and it'll take probably 15 minutes of driving to get the temps in the truck to where the fans back down. I keep the temps set at 74 or 75 degrees. I also open the windows some to help get the 150 degree heat out.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Taking delivery or refusing?

Users who are viewing this thread