5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

Flot

Reaction score
The 4th gen test procedure that 96Dodge posted has an identical performance chart to the 5th gen data that ilovegrits posted.

I can say without a doubt that the AC in my 5th gen is not performing as well as my 4th gen.

I guess I'll be going back to the dealer. I'll also message RamCares.

alanstahl

Reaction score
I hasve 2016 Limited, AC is great. Wonder if the additional interior volume and the larger panoramic sunroof are requiring a bigger system and they used the same as 4th gen??

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
"An improved HVAC system generates 25% more airflow at lower noise levels while also giving rear passengers 50% more airflow than current models." That quote is from an article I wrote January 15th. FCA says this is an all new HVAC system and flows more air than the 4th gen trucks.

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
The pano sunroof makes it super hot inside and it is hard to cool down. I have one and never had one previously. I figured out they were hot while checking out the trucks mid day while waiting for my truck to come in, I jumped in on and felt the heat from the roof. Anyway, I started off tiniting the ft windows with ceramic only 50 percent and it helped some, then after a few more weeks I ended up doing the sunroof the same. It made a huge difference. I hated the heat and was thinking I don’t know how I can live with this truck and it’s only a month old. I’m good with it now.

Things I found out about the A/C in this truck vs the previous is that on Auto it won’t turn on the recirculation mode on its own, it will be warm when it’s really hot outside. The previous gens wouldn’t turn the light on, but if you pushed the recirc button say when it was on 65 or whatever temp it set at you wouldn’t notice a difference in sound etc. on the 19 you can set the temp on auto and whatever temp you want and then push recirc and it changes to recirc. This helps a lot with the vent temp. The old truck did this for you trying to maintain your set temp. Then the blower speed would change depending on what is needed to maintain set temp. What people are hearing with the blower speed is the blower going super high speed, it goes faster on auto then on manual settings or Max A/C. The thing moves a lot of air on auto when it’s very hot outside.

The faster the blower speed the higher the vent temp will be due to more air being blown over the evaporator it dissipates the cold air quicker so it is warmer. Think of it as a fan blowing over an ice cube If you put it on max when it’s screaming on auto you will notice it slows down the blower or if you have it on auto and push the high blower speed it slows down too, but it won’t be on recirc either way unless you select Recirc. You need to have recirc on to get the best performance. Occasionally I switch it off for a bit to get some fresh air in. At idle your temps will rise some due to compressor speed most testing is done at 1500 rpm so when at idle of say 700 rpm it will not be as cold. All cars pretty much are this way coldest temp is always going to be above idle.

Bottom line is the pano Roof is hot and the A/ C actually works fine as designed, but the heat from the top is so great when it’s say above 85 that it’s going to not feel cool inside for a long time.
You need to crack a window or slider when first getting in to vent the hot air out. If you use auto push recirc too, although I think Max A/C is the best for the coldest air. Once cooled down the system works. The new refrigerant R1234YF sucks in my opinion vs R134 but you can’t change that. I work on Honda cars and we have the same complaints as here on our new cars mainly the minivans and pilots with big cabs. They come in 4-5 a day complaining that their AC doesn’t blow as cold as it should. They all blow 45-50 when it’s hot out, the heat saturation inside takes a long time to overcome.
It’s been around 100 every day here since I bought my truck and I have tried to figure out the best setup to get it cool since day 1. I’m Ok with the way it is now.

Do the trucks with Panoramic sunroof not come with a shade guide like other vehicles or is the sunroof always visible? Would think you could close the slider and help cut down heat if the trucks have them.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do the trucks with Panoramic sunroof not come with a shade guide like other vehicles or is the sunroof always visible? Would think you could close the slider and help cut down heat if the trucks have them.
They do come with a shade. I'm making the assumption that everyone that has posted about temps has had their shade closed and its just radiant heat getting through (not truck to try on)

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 4th gen test procedure that 96Dodge posted has an identical performance chart to the 5th gen data that ilovegrits posted.

I can say without a doubt that the AC in my 5th gen is not performing as well as my 4th gen.

I guess I'll be going back to the dealer. I'll also message RamCares.
But how do you know this is not normal AC production in the 5th gen? Not trying to be rude just curious that maybe this is normal for this truck

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They do come with a shade. I'm making the assumption that everyone that has posted about temps has had their shade closed and its just radiant heat getting through (not truck to try on)

The shade is nothing more than a thin piece of fabric and really does nothing but stop the light from shining through.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The shade is nothing more than a thin piece of fabric and really does nothing but stop the light from shining through.
The sunroof on the quad cab has an actual thick shade/cover for its sunroof

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Correct. With the sun over it, you almost get a Rolls Royce star headliner affect (EXTREME EXAGGERATION! lol)

I had the pano roof in an all white grand Cherokee with black interior and virtually never had the shade open, I wasn't planning on having the pano roof even on this truck. This is the biggest cab and the darkest color I've ever owned on a vehicle before, I run very warm blooded and it hasn't been below 90 with extreme sunlight for the last 40 days. I really dont know i'f I even have an issue to complain about. For example....I suspect my wife would NEVER have thought the AC was underwhelming.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The sunroof on the quad cab has an actual thick shade/cover for its sunroof

This is the same type shade as in the F150. I'm sure it just rolls up when it's retracted. I leave my shade open but roof closed 95% of the time. The amount of natural light it lets in is incredible. It's worth it in my book.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the same type shade as in the F150. I'm sure it just rolls up when it's retracted. I leave my shade open but roof closed 95% of the time. The amount of natural light it lets in is incredible. It's worth it in my book.
My shade/cover in my quad cab is not rolling up thats for sure. Its a hard plastic with a cloth cover.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My shade/cover in my quad cab is not rolling up thats for sure. Its a hard plastic with a cloth cover.

It's a completely different design in the quad cab vs the crew cab!

Quad cab is your run of the mill sunroof. The panoramic roof is a different animal.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a completely different design in the quad cab vs the crew cab!

Quad cab is your run of the mill sunroof. The panoramic roof is a different animal.
lol I know thats exactly what I am trying to tell you hahah

Cluck

Reaction score
has anyone stuck a thermometer in the vest and got an actual temp reading?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online