5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had it in so many times I forgot I had this done. I recall only being there less than an hour for the repair. It appears only the module was replaced. MY QUESTION - did the dealer not do all of the update ? I would say it's working slightly better but that may be in my head !
That is not the official TSB fix for this issue. The tech did not do all that he was supposed to :(

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I had it in so many times I forgot I had this done. I recall only being there less than an hour for the repair. It appears only the module was replaced. MY QUESTION - did the dealer not do all of the update ? I would say it's working slightly better but that may be in my head !
I doubt it they did the TSB to be honest. I believe this job calls for around four or five hours labor, not less than one, no matter how good the tech is.

yellowboy

Reaction score
I will measure my vent tempson the next 90 degree day . I complained because it was overall weak in keeping up with the heat here in NC. Can anyone that had all the work above done say it's made a differenecne ? I have 9 months left on my warranty and wondering if it's worth the hassle and if will it be done right.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will measure my vent tempson the next 90 degree day . I complained because it was overall weak in keeping up with the heat here in NC. Can anyone that had all the work above done say it's made a differenecne ? I have 9 months left on my warranty and wondering if it's worth the hassle and if will it be done right.

it is a noticeable difference and I’m happy with the improvement. I think it was worth it

turkeybird56

Reaction score
DONE, and improved, so I took off the temp hose clamp. However, when done, they also reflash and it changes the way Remote Start/Climate control works, degrades by like 50%, just so U know.

evillrdnikon

Reaction score
I just came across this. My 2019 ram 1500 limited that I sold Aug 3 2020 I took in for AC issues. If I used "AUTO" sometimes the AC and blower motor would just shut down completely for a couple mins then kick back on. When I had it on high and not auto it would not shut off. The temps, were less than impressive on my truck. It seemed it would take forever to cool off for being a new truck here in the Las Vegas Heat. Dead summer heat can easily be 120. Even when I parked in the parking garage at work it wouldn't cool off quickly. So does anyone know if the TRX will have this issue? Seems at a quick glance in this thread there may already be fixes through the software.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just came across this. My 2019 ram 1500 limited that I sold Aug 3 2020 I took in for AC issues. If I used "AUTO" sometimes the AC and blower motor would just shut down completely for a couple mins then kick back on. When I had it on high and not auto it would not shut off. The temps, were less than impressive on my truck. It seemed it would take forever to cool off for being a new truck here in the Las Vegas Heat. Dead summer heat can easily be 120. Even when I parked in the parking garage at work it wouldn't cool off quickly. So does anyone know if the TRX will have this issue? Seems at a quick glance in this thread there may already be fixes through the software.
Its not just software, there's a kit to fix the issue but they need to tear the interior apart to install it.

CCA

Reaction score
Today I was able to get 36-38 degrees blowing out of both the drivers side and the passenger side ac vents. Previously I was getting 44 out of the passenger side and 50-52 out of the driver side. I installed a water shut off valve in the heater hose going from water pump to the heater core. It's the outbound side of the pump says "out"right on the hose. This stops any hot water from getting into the air conditioning system at all. You will have no heat when the valve is closed, for the heater you will have no way to control the air conditioning temperature it will be as cold as it can be. This was only a test for me if you decide to do this it will be at your own risk. In essence this proves there's definitely a blend door issue inside the dash letting hot water into the HVAC system when we are telling it no
I wish I had something to really benefit this post but man I just have to praise the ingenuity here! Genius idea friend, thanks for sharing seriously. Im going to spread this around in my circle, tellem you have literal ice cubes coming out of the dash lol

Ddelallata

Reaction score
I had an early production 2019 with subpar ac performance. I resorted to the clamp method as others. I eventually sold the truck in 2020 and recently picked up a 2022 Limited. The ac on my new truck is way colder. No complaints about its performance.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had an early production 2019 with subpar ac performance. I resorted to the clamp method as others. I eventually sold the truck in 2020 and recently picked up a 2022 Limited. The ac on my new truck is way colder. No complaints about its performance.
I have a feeling that's why my truck was traded in. I didn't even know about the poor AC because I bought it in February.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
My '19 has 40k on it and im now beyond the 36 month warranty. I've been to the dealer for ac issues in the past. Coolant was low when i got it new and was blowing hot air. The dealer added coolant to spec. I still wasn't satisfied with the ac so mentioned it at service updates. They told me temp was within spec previously. I moved to AZ last summer and AC, even with ceramic all around, doesn't do it for me.

Think i can still get the TSB done if im beyond factory warranty?

jimk hunt

Reaction score
My '19 has 40k on it and im now beyond the 36 month warranty. I've been to the dealer for ac issues in the past. Coolant was low when i got it new and was blowing hot air. The dealer added coolant to spec. I still wasn't satisfied with the ac so mentioned it at service updates. They told me temp was within spec previously. I moved to AZ last summer and AC, even with ceramic all around, doesn't do it for me.

Think i can still get the TSB done if im beyond factory warranty?
It's worth a try. You have it on record and there is now a TSB on the issue.

mhlmotors

Reaction score
Well, I applied the HF Clamp to the line, and the AC went from 64 degrees to 43 degrees on the driver's side. Wow, what a difference! Not bad for a $7.99 fix!
can you point me in the direction of a clear explanation of what clamp and what line? I live in FLA, have ceramic tint on windows, and still need a boost. I have always felt the AC was sub standard and now you all have confirmed what I have been dealing with since I bought my 2019 5th Gen Ram

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
can you point me in the direction of a clear explanation of what clamp and what line? I live in FLA, have ceramic tint on windows, and still need a boost. I have always felt the AC was sub standard and now you all have confirmed what I have been dealing with since I bought my 2019 5th Gen Ram
You want the clamp on the ENG OUT, it's the bottom hose
20220511_114551~2.jpg

jimk hunt

Reaction score
You want the clamp on the ENG OUT, it's the bottom hose
View attachment 132225
This pic is the right hose. If you don't want to cut anything, go to Harbor Freight and get the 4 pack of fluid line clamps. Use the largest and remove it in the winter and when going to the dealer. I've been running mine like that for 2 years with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread