5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

ramhead

Reaction score
I know...that's why I am questioning anyone wanting to do this hack if the dealer will fix it properly.
I think in order to do the TSB requires an involved teardown of the dash & innards of the truck. Some would rather not have that done assuming it may not go back together again (well, it will but they fear their trucks might wind up not like it came off the factory line - esp. if done by an inexperienced, hungover, disgruntled or can't wait to leave work tech). The clamp is is an easy workaround for guys who live in areas that have short summer seasons (northeast, northwest, upper mid states, etc) where it's put on in late May or so and removed by Sept. For those in the South/Southwest the TSB repair would make extreme sense.

ramhead

Reaction score
What do you do about this modification if you have to take your truck back to the dealer for something?????

Not the one in photo you linked but the one with the threaded line clamp is an easy on/off - can be done in 30 seconds. There's a photo of that upthread....I'll post when found.

EDIT: Here it is:
37CC8711-7A5B-4C64-BB9D-88A002C0F524.jpeg

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What do you do about this modification if you have to take your truck back to the dealer for something?????
I had my truck in for a rear window replacement and wiper TSB, they said nothing. If they were working on the cooling system I might be concerned, at that point I would revert it to stock in a few minutes. No hoses were harmed during the install

HemiDude

Reaction score
Unless you are taking it in for a coolant related problem, I don't think most dealerships would care. They hardly have the time/manpower to keep up with scheduled work, so they're likely not looking for other things to work on. Beside, it's just a valve. If you have it installed and need to go to a dealer, just flip it open so the system is flowing as normal

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think in order to do the TSB requires an involved teardown of the dash & innards of the truck. Some would rather not have that done assuming it may not go back together again (well, it will but they fear their trucks might wind up not like it came off the factory line - esp. if done by an inexperienced, hungover, disgruntled or can't wait to leave work tech). The clamp is is an easy workaround for guys who live in areas that have short summer seasons (northeast, northwest, upper mid states, etc) where it's put on in late May or so and removed by Sept. For those in the South/Southwest the TSB repair would make extreme sense.

I waited until another member had the TSB done locally (without issues) and then went to the same dealer figuring I was now no longer the guinea pig. Came out perfectly with everything looking like it had never happened and almost a year later with no squeaks or rattles. I'm still driving around a happy camper in 100 degree weather loving my truck.

Scram1500

Reaction score
There is a solution for everyone. TSB's for those with a competent dealership willing to do the work, and heater core isolation for those without

ramhead

Reaction score
I waited until another member had the TSB done locally (without issues) and then went to the same dealer figuring I was now no longer the guinea pig. Came out perfectly with everything looking like it had never happened and almost a year later with no squeaks or rattles. I'm still driving around a happy camper in 100 degree weather loving my truck.
Good to know, glad you made out well. Sometimes it's a crap shoot though as to how well the truck will turn out and having to depend on the techs to put it back factory perfect. Saw you live in Texas so it was a no brainer for you to have the TSB done. Leaving the clamp on year round like you would need to could wind up leaving a set depression by having the line clamp on the rubber hose year round. Me being in can't wait to leave North NJ (Communist Republic Of ) the clamp method works for my purposes and the short term use of it. And I even loosen & move the clamp once a month just to be safe it doesn't cause a permanent set or deforming of the hose at any one area.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cross post with another thread - Is the housing and ductwork replacement the only way? I also don't want my interior torn out and have a bunch of plastic stuff broke, fasteners skipped, etc.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cross post with another thread - Is the housing and ductwork replacement the only way? I also don't want my interior torn out and have a bunch of plastic stuff broke, fasteners skipped, etc.

I hear you. I had the valve hack in for months and then decided to take the plunge after a local guy had his successfully done. The only negative to my TSB was there were a few fingerprints left on the dash - easily cleaned. It's been like a different truck since then.

Not trying to change anyone's mind here, just a data point for those dealing with the original HVAC system. I was very cautious about anyone ripping my dash out but it they did a perfect job and a year later you can't tell it was ever done - except it blows ice cold in 100 degree weather.

I'd recommend using this forum to find a local dealer who's done a few well and try them. The dealer I used said they had their most experienced guy on them and that he'd done two before mine. That's what I was looking for.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I hear you. I had the valve hack in for months and then decided to take the plunge after a local guy had his successfully done. The only negative to my TSB was there were a few fingerprints left on the dash - easily cleaned. It's been like a different truck since then.

Not trying to change anyone's mind here, just a data point for those dealing with the original HVAC system. I was very cautious about anyone ripping my dash out but it they did a perfect job and a year later you can't tell it was ever done - except it blows ice cold in 100 degree weather.

I'd recommend using this forum to find a local dealer who's done a few well and try them. The dealer I used said they had their most experienced guy on them and that he'd done two before mine. That's what I was looking for.
Agreed. 100% different

Ram12375

Reaction score
Sorry for not reading all 62 pages but was curious. Do all the a/c's suck or is it certain year models? I have a new truck ordered and it's triple digits here a good part of the summer

U

User_3336

Sorry for not reading all 62 pages but was curious. Do all the a/c's suck or is it certain year models? I have a new truck ordered and it's triple digits here a good part of the summer
2022 models seem to be good! The redesign and TSB's appear to already be applied from the factory.
Take into consideration, that's a big cab to cool down with temps approaching 100 (here in TN).

My 2022 has 40 degree vent temps after about 5 minutes.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Should work on all models. Not sure the pipe location on v6 or eco diesel tho

Reaction score
I thought the teardown was invasive as well but when I had the TSB done the service counter magician told me that they went through the center console only. The A/C in my 2019 blacked out Laramie is still not performing like my smaller cars but it is at least 5 degrees cooler and perhaps more. It was 90 and humid here the other day in PA and I had to actually turn down the fan speed as I was chilly. That my friend was unheard of before the TSB. I am quite happy with my fully loaded Laramie. Gas mileage sucks but with the 3.92's it pulls like a dream. I think the sunroof needs some ceramic tint and I should be good. Just bought an extended warranty from Zeigler and now I am getting all kinds of pokes from different dealers wanting to upgrade me to a 2022. I need some feedback on the a/c in these new trucks before I even think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online