5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning Hack

Claude Henry

Reaction score
Cross post with another thread - Is the housing and ductwork replacement the only way? I also don't want my interior torn out and have a bunch of plastic stuff broke, fasteners skipped, etc.
Are you having the issue with you 21? From what I've read on here, I thought this issue only affected 2019s. I have a 21 BH, and my AC seems to work great.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Wasn’t one of the negative impacts of the TSB is that the temperature range for pre-cooling the cabin when remote-start is used is not as good as original? Living in Houston, I use my remote start all the time and certainly would not want to negatively impact that function. I plan to keep this truck long term, so the chance that something starts rattling deep in the dash years down the road, or that the pre-cooling function is negatively impacted has me choosing “hack” over TSB.

Last edited:

LonnieRiz

Reaction score
Just did the hack using muzzys kit. Had to cut the stock hose off. I lost quite a bit of coolant. Anybody else have this happen?

Attachments

• PXL_20220704_012318888.jpg
    PXL_20220704_012318888.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 72

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just did the hack using muzzys kit. Had to cut the stock hose off. I lost quite a bit of coolant. Anybody else have this happen?
Definitely didn’t have to cut the hose off. If you twist on it, it will usually come. U less the hose has been on there for like 20 years. I normally pinch the hose with a needle nose vice grip to keep from losing too much. Just add some more dexcool 50/50 you’ll be good.

U

User_3336

Definitely didn’t have to cut the hose off. If you twist on it, it will usually come. U less the hose has been on there for like 20 years. I normally pinch the hose with a needle nose vice grip to keep from losing too much. Just add some more dexcool 50/50 you’ll be good.

UMMMMM, these trucks DO NOT take DEXCOOL!!!!!!!

U

User_3336

Mopar Replacement 68163849AB - Mopar Replacement OAT 50/50 Premix Antifreeze Coolant mop-68163849ab_xl.jpg

Ilya23

Reaction score
Anyone performed that TSB air-condition hack and can recommend a good dealer that they went to in FLORIDA? When I purchased a car I felt like from day one something was wrong with air-condition but glad it's not just my assumptions and this is actual problem. Do you think guys can this be done or complaint using a regular warranty(I still have low milage) or I should go with third paty dealers?

Ilya23

Reaction score
It's worth a try. You have it on record and there is now a TSB on the issue.
Is it official TSB issue and can it be done through a dealer? Do you have a link where Ram agreed this is TSB issue so I can show my dealer when I come there?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is it official TSB issue and can it be done through a dealer? Do you have a link where Ram agreed this is TSB issue so I can show my dealer when I come there?
Yup you can show them. Here’s the TSB. I printed it and gave it to the service manager. This way they couldn’t just add some Freon and say it’s all good.

Attachments

• MC-10184475-9999 2.pdf
    68.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Ilya23

Reaction score
Yup you can show them. Here’s the TSB. I printed it and gave it to the server manager. This way they couldn’t just add some Freon and say it’s all good.
Thank you!!! I have an appointment tomorrow and initially I wanted just fix my air condition vents which don't flow air correctly but today I found this discussion and hopefully I will do both now. Btw, I measured temperature today from my vents and it stays around 50F when I idle and air-condition is on - but hopefully all will go smooth 🤞 and temperature drops :)

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you!!! I have an appointment tomorrow and initially I wanted just fix my air condition vents which don't flow air correctly but today I found this discussion and hopefully I will do both now. Btw, I measured temperature today from my vents and it stays around 50F when I idle and air-condition is on - but hopefully all will go smooth 🤞 and temperature drops :)
Good luck!

Ilya23

Reaction score
Good luck!
I went over this doc and I see that it covers only model before July 31 2020. But my model is from august 2020 :mad:. Probably I will use clamps then to see if something will change or install valve in the future (((

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I thought the teardown was invasive as well but when I had the TSB done the service counter magician told me that they went through the center console only. The A/C in my 2019 blacked out Laramie is still not performing like my smaller cars but it is at least 5 degrees cooler and perhaps more. It was 90 and humid here the other day in PA and I had to actually turn down the fan speed as I was chilly. That my friend was unheard of before the TSB. I am quite happy with my fully loaded Laramie. Gas mileage sucks but with the 3.92's it pulls like a dream. I think the sunroof needs some ceramic tint and I should be good. Just bought an extended warranty from Zeigler and now I am getting all kinds of pokes from different dealers wanting to upgrade me to a 2022. I need some feedback on the a/c in these new trucks before I even think about it.
Feedback per request: The a/c in my '22 is so much better than my '20 was. I haven't measured vents temps in the new one, mainly because I don't need to - it's just cold! When I did the a/c hack on my '20 it performed well, other than the fact I had to pop the hood and open the valve on rainy/humid days, which is 50% of the time in Ohio. IMO, if the only thing keeping you from jumping to a '22 is the a/c, you shouldn't be worried about that.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I lost just a bit when I did mine, but I used a clamp to pinch off the hose before I removed it. I also had to cut my hose. I tried to just remove it from the inlet, but the end was virtually glued to the metal tube - lots of scraping and peeling to get that tube clean enough that it wouldn't create a leak.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I went over this doc and I see that it covers only model before July 31 2020. But my model is from august 2020 :mad:. Probably I will use clamps then to see if something will change or install valve in the future (((
Is august 2020 your build date?

Users who are viewing this thread