5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

billyraff

Reaction score
AFE now has the momentum and quantum series CAI available along with the magnum. How is everyone liking their magnum? Sound, mpg etc? Does anyone have a momentum or quantum yet. Debating on which for my 5.7

RodRow

Reaction score
AFE now has the momentum and quantum series CAI available along with the magnum. How is everyone liking their magnum? Sound, mpg etc? Does anyone have a momentum or quantum yet. Debating on which for my 5.7
I have the magnum and really dig the sound when I get on it. I haven’t seen much change in mpg, but I haven’t been on the road since I installed it.
AFE has had the others for sale on their website for several weeks, but they are still pre-production per my last call with them. They expect to ship very late this month or early a March as I understand it.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
is there a noticable power increase? thanks for posting the videos.
I just installed mine 2 days ago. The Sound is Awesome! HOWEVER... My longhorn had more pick-up/acceleration with the stock intake. The truck is just more sluggish off the line. I ensured the install was properly fitted and I have to I am a little disappointing with the physical effects this unit produces. I even disconnected my battery for 20 min thinking maybe the cpu needed a fresh flash from the memory of the stock intake/TB. Nope still the same... But honestly paired with my magnaflow exhaust. The sound is equally rewarding in my opinion.

SColang22

Reaction score
I just installed mine 2 days ago. The Sound is Awesome! HOWEVER... My longhorn had more pick-up/acceleration with the stock intake. The truck is just more sluggish off the line. I ensured the install was properly fitted and I have to I am a little disappointing with the physical effects this unit produces. I even disconnected my battery for 20 min thinking maybe the cpu needed a fresh flash from the memory of the stock intake/TB. Nope still the same... But honestly paired with my magnaflow exhaust. The sound is equally rewarding in my opinion.
That's weird. When I installed mine I gained .2 on my 0-60

Evoking1230

Reaction score

Probably would benefit from a tune if anything. Their claims on their website for HP and TQ increases seem a bit over exxagerated no?

Nonetheless, I'm going with one lol

Yanser

Reaction score
Not tracking the Quantum.

Do not buy the Momentum, less gains more $$. I asked AFE why it was more expensive while producing less power and their response was the cost of materials were higher. Fair enough.

I have the Magnum and there is a massive sound increase when you hammer it. Much BoooWooo...

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
is there a noticable power increase? thanks for posting the videos.
With the Standard 5.7 non e-torque engine there is a noticeable decrease in power going from stock to this CAI. I definitely could tell my truck was a a tad sluggish and lost some get-up with acceleration after installation BUT it made my magnaflow exhaust sound Amazing! Worth the loss in power IMO.

Evoking1230

Reaction score
Just installed mine yesterday. Love it. A little sluggish once you step on it but that sound! :love: A deep rumble in the cab. Made the stock exhaust louder.

Just a little bog but probably because needs a tune. Loading up on the bottom end. Next up a B2 Fab Muffler Delete :oops:;)

Limited_Ram

Reaction score
Not tracking the Quantum.

Do not buy the Momentum, less gains more $$. I asked AFE why it was more expensive while producing less power and their response was the cost of materials were higher. Fair enough.

I have the Magnum and there is a massive sound increase when you hammer it. Much BoooWooo...
This is an uneducated statement. “less gains more $$”...it’s an open intake vs an enclosed intake. Closed intakes always go for a premium as there’s a lot more materials and components involved. The Momentum keeps intake temps down, which is obviously important (this is a COLD AIR intake after all). The Magnum actually lets more warm air in than even the stock setup. The only 2 reasons to choose a the Magnum over the Momentum is 1. The cost is an issue or 2. You want a little more sound

NastyNate323

Reaction score
This is an uneducated statement. “less gains more $$”...it’s an open intake vs an enclosed intake. Closed intakes always go for a premium as there’s a lot more materials and components involved. The Momentum keeps intake temps down, which is obviously important (this is a COLD AIR intake after all). The Magnum actually lets more warm air in than even the stock setup. The only 2 reasons to choose a the Magnum over the Momentum is 1. The cost is an issue or 2. You want a little more sound

Also important to note that the Dyno results AFE posts are not accurate. If you look closely at their published Dyno results the humidity is significantly higher during the baseline/stock Dyno and significantly lower when they run the CAI Dyno. Lower humidity = more oxygen in the air and therefore more power to the engine, the HP gains they claim are due to a change in humidity not their "performance" parts. If AFE did the Dyno on the same day, temperature, and humidity and still showed the kind of HP gains they claim it would hold more weight IMO. In my experience an open air intake like that has less low end power because it sucks in engine heat and it also changes the velocity which the air travels because it's not enclosed. At lower rpm you want an enclosed system because the air velocity is higher in a tighter space/closed off space. Go try and drink a cup of water with a straw the size of a toilet paper role and see how hard it is. This is similar to the affect too large of an exhaust system has on low end power, at lower RPM's their is less air velocity in the larger exhaust systems from what I have read.

Not 100% on all this so please correct me if I am wrong, but just what I have found through my own experience and research.

TurdFerguson

Reaction score
My dissent now being known. I might let mine go at a reasonable price.

19RamBC

Reaction score
About 30mins, and yes broke that little plastic tab on the temp sensor and yes it needs lube to get into the new AFE fitting, sounds sweet tho

Evoking1230

Reaction score
So do you specifically have to use afe cleaning and oils for the filter or k&n can do? Just checked mine and it’s not blue anymore and I have a road trip coming up next week so I can’t order it in time.

Users who are viewing this thread