5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on BORLA exhuast system s-type

popcenator

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but wanted to update everyone now that I have the resonator installed. It takes quite a bit of bite off the interior noise at all throttle positions. It does quiet it down a little overall, but the main effect is that it doesn't sound so intense when driving around before it warms up. It still has that great Borla tone, just tamed a little. It's hard to describe, and I haven't cold started it yet as the truck was still a little warm when I started and drove it after the install. If you think the S-Type or whatever level you have is a bit much, I definitely suggest the resonator. I was close to putting the stock exhaust back on after initially getting the S-Type, but I did get used to it even though the cold starts were still a little much for me. With the resonator installed, it's a more ideal setup for daily driving and early morning starts I would imagine.

My problem now is that I got so used to how loud it was before that I'm almost concerned that it tamed it too much lol. I think I'll love it once I get used to it but it does make quite an impact on overall volume of the system.

spinxt

Reaction score
Why did you by the s-type. If you don’t want loud you should have gone with the Touring system with the optional resonator in front.

popcenator

Reaction score
Why did you by the s-type. If you don’t want loud you should have gone with the Touring system with the optional resonator in front.
The truck is still loud, it's just now tolerable inside. The point of the resonator is to tone down certain frequencies that cause droning. It's not a muffler, despite it being referred to as such. So no, that's not what I should have done because that's not what I wanted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Gumpa

Reaction score
I’m feeling that the Borla ProXs muffler would be more to your taste.
So the ProXS is going to be quieter than the S-type, how about the touring? I am going to put on the ARH longtubes & catted Y pipe soon and that means my Magnaflow resonator will come off. I'm afraid my touring catback is really going to be loud with the headers. I did some measuring the other day and its about 2" short of being able to just cut out the touring muffler and clamp in the 40349 ProXs. I'll have to cut that 2" out of the short offset pipe in front of the muffler and weld it back together. How loud do you think it will be?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Seeing as you’re going to add longtubes I can’t actually say. All I know is I e had the S type and Touring and both were too much for my family. I’m now on the Mopar catback and have to make sure when doing a cold start, I don’t back in and have that sounding off my garages. Once started it calms down quickly, but still is beastly while opening up.
So adding the Borla muffler in itself would be manageable, adding stuff to that may put you back to where you don’t want to be.

popcenator

Reaction score
From videos I've seen, the Touring didn't seem much quieter than the S-Type. I don't know if that's the same in person but the ProXS will definitely be quieter than both. Now obviously the headers will increase the volume, but if you're concerned about it I'd go with the ProXS.

chrisnack

Reaction score
Seeing as you’re going to add longtubes I can’t actually say. All I know is I e had the S type and Touring and both were too much for my family. I’m now on the Mopar catback and have to make sure when doing a cold start, I don’t back in and have that sounding off my garages. Once started it calms down quickly, but still is beastly while opening up.
So adding the Borla muffler in itself would be manageable, adding stuff to that may put you back to where you don’t want to be.

Isn't the Mopar considerably louder than the Borla?

PorBoy

Reaction score
No sir or at least in my opinion it’s not. But again I’ve owned several exhausts on this one Ram alone lol.

flipshow

Reaction score
No sir or at least in my opinion it’s not. But again I’ve owned several exhausts on this one Ram alone lol.
How are you liking that Mopar system? They sound quite a bit different then a Borla from the videos. Mopar seems to really roar compared to an S-Type. What's your opinion?

PorBoy

Reaction score
When you punch it, it will definitely excite you. I don’t feel you can go wrong either way. The only fault I found with Borla is to me the S type and the Touring sounded the same. If I were solely the only one driving my truck and didn’t care about volume, I would run the S type. The person who vetoed my other exhausts actually tolerates the Mopar one. Now don’t get me wrong if you have those windows down and have to accelerate, people will get out of your way due to the sounds lol.

spinxt

Reaction score
The truck is still loud, it's just now tolerable inside. The point of the resonator is to tone down certain frequencies that cause droning. It's not a muffler, despite it being referred to as such. So no, that's not what I should have done because that's not what I wanted.

I have a the Borla touring and it has zero drone without the resonator. A neighbor of mine has the same with the resonator and I assure you there is a sound reduction with resonator.

popcenator

Reaction score
Yes, there is a small amount, I have it installed and had the system without the resonator on for weeks, so I know exactly the effect it had. My point was, I did not want that much of a reduction. I just wanted to take a little bit of the edge off the interior noise and that's exactly what it did. There's not much of a different with the cold starts, but there is a little. I'm happy with the slight reduction exterior wise and the much larger reduction interior wise. I definitely didn't want a quiet truck. You can have a louder exhaust without it being overkill. That's what I have now.

flipshow

Reaction score
I hear some people say that the S-Type and Touring sound the same and some say the Touring is just barley louder than stock. Ebay has a touring kit on sale for $830 so I went ahead and ordered it.

Gumpa

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts PorBoy and Popcenator.
Some comments for the other posters:
The Touring catback system is definitely loud. I have never heard the S type or Atak live. I have never heard anyone complain of drone on a Borla system. I have never heard the Borla resonator, but I added a 6" x 14" round magnaflow muffler as a resonator and it knocked the Touring down a lot. I am pretty happy with the sound, however it is still much louder than a magnaflow catback, for example. After the header install, I will probably replace the touring muffler with a ProXS and see where its at. With the ARH Headers, the Y pipe is 3.5" after the Y, and I haven't found any resonators and very few straight thru mufflers in that size that I could add in there as a resonator. Hopefully I won't need one.

popcenator

Reaction score
I hear some people say that the S-Type and Touring sound the same and some say the Touring is just barley louder than stock. Ebay has a touring kit on sale for $830 so I went ahead and ordered it.
The Touring on the 5th gen Ram seems to sound a bit louder than the Touring on the 4th gen or other vehicles from the videos I've watched. I watched every video you can find on YouTube. I went with the S-Type knowing I could add the resonator if it ended up being too loud. I didn't want to get the Touring on the chance that I may think it was too quiet.

chrisnack

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts PorBoy and Popcenator.
Some comments for the other posters:
The Touring catback system is definitely loud. I have never heard the S type or Atak live. I have never heard anyone complain of drone on a Borla system. I have never heard the Borla resonator, but I added a 6" x 14" round magnaflow muffler as a resonator and it knocked the Touring down a lot. I am pretty happy with the sound, however it is still much louder than a magnaflow catback, for example. After the header install, I will probably replace the touring muffler with a ProXS and see where its at. With the ARH Headers, the Y pipe is 3.5" after the Y, and I haven't found any resonators and very few straight thru mufflers in that size that I could add in there as a resonator. Hopefully I won't need one.

I thought the Borla S-type droned bad for sure on my 2020, one of the things i didn't like. I'm not stranger to loud exhausts, i have them on everything and my motorcycles.

spinxt

Reaction score
The touring is much louder than stock. It’s a bout as aggressive as I’d ever want to go on a daily driver. To me, my buddy’s s-type is louder on the highway at cruising speed (which is why he added the resonator).

Users who are viewing this thread