5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on BORLA exhuast system s-type

popcenator

Reaction score
"Obnoxiously loud" means many things to many people... IMHO, people who don't appreciate a nice exhaust tone from any motor tend to consider anything but a stock exhaust obnoxiously loud. I've been married to one of those people for 30 plus years...

Obnoxiously loud to me is able to wake people up. I leave around 7 am during the week, I'm not concerned with them hearing the exhaust, I'm concerned with waking them up as some have infants. Another concern is in cab level. Again, I'm not worried about it being quiet, I just don't want to have to crank up the music, or have to speak loudly when talking. Also, I want to be able to hear my kids in the back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
Obnoxiously loud to me is able to wake people up. I leave around 7 am during the week, I'm not concerned with them hearing the exhaust, I'm concerned with waking them up as some have infants. Another concern is in cab level. Again, I'm not worried about it being quiet, I just don't want to have to crank up the music, or have to speak loudly when talking. Also, I want to be able to hear my kids in the back.

Well... You can definitely hear a nice rumble upon cold start, but it mellows out pretty quickly as soon as it tachs down. I can't speak to whether or not it will wake up your infants, but can speak to the cab sound level. I work in sales and talk to my customers often on the blue tooth phone while driving. I've never once had to raise my voice, turn up the phone volume, or have a customer mention they couldn't hear me. I've actually gone out of my way to romp on it a number of times to see if I can get a response... nada.

It's also no problem having normal conversations with people in the cab, or feeling the need to crank up the music unless the right tune fits the bill!

popcenator

Reaction score
Well... You can definitely hear a nice rumble upon cold start, but it mellows out pretty quickly as soon as it tachs down. I can't speak to whether or not it will wake up your infants, but can speak to the cab sound level. I work in sales and talk to my customers often on the blue tooth phone while driving. I've never once had to raise my voice, turn up the phone volume, or have a customer mention they couldn't hear me. I've actually gone out of my way to romp on it a number of times to see if I can get a response... nada.

It's also no problem having normal conversations with people in the cab, or feeling the need to crank up the music unless the right tune fits the bill!
That's what I like to hear. I don't know why people get an exhaust and then are surprised that they can hear noise. When I start the truck, I don't want to feel bad about disturbing people. Borla has always had the deep tone I want, it's the noise level I was unsure about. I appreciate your input very much.

spinxt

Reaction score
Exhausts sound tone is totally personal preference. I have had the Borla Touring since I bought my truck. I love it. That said I can’t imagine having an S-Type or ATAK. The Touring is PLENTY loud. It’s barely noticeable cruising at highway speed, but around town when accelerating it is LOUD. I just don’t see why anyone would want anything louder on what otherwise is a luxury truck. But that’s just me....you be you

Snakes709

Reaction score
I had the atak on my truck which was to loud for me so i switched to the stype which was perfect except for trying to sleep in the back seats or on the floor during long trips.

popcenator

Reaction score
Exhausts sound tone is totally personal preference. I have had the Borla Touring since I bought my truck. I love it. That said I can’t imagine having an S-Type or ATAK. The Touring is PLENTY loud. It’s barely noticeable cruising at highway speed, but around town when accelerating it is LOUD. I just don’t see why anyone would want anything louder on what otherwise is a luxury truck. But that’s just me....you be you
I firmly believe that the Touring and S-Type on the 5th gens aren't much different. I've watched exhaust videos for months deciding between the two and both seem to be similarly loud. Now the ATAK sounds different to me and definitely louder than the other two.

SColang22

Reaction score
I'm about to schedule my appointment tomorrow to get it done in a couple weeks. No drone inside, tolerable noise when driving around? All the videos I watch have the radio off, and of course it'll be loud. Can you still really hear it with music paying?

Might look into doing it yourself if you want to save a couple hundred. Took under an hour to do

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone in the Fort Worth area has a Borla S-type or Magnaflow cat-back, I’d be more than happy to buy you Starbucks or Chick-fil-A to hear it!

popcenator

Reaction score
Might look into doing it yourself if you want to save a couple hundred. Took under an hour to do
I appreciate that, I'm having some back issues right now and don't want to agitate things even more, otherwise I'd give it a go myself.

chrisnack

Reaction score
His RAM was a 4th gen not sure what year, probably 14/15.

I don’t mind loud exhausts, all of my vehicles have them typically, but at this point I don’t want to drive the truck as I don’t like the sound so that’s a problem. I can’t imagine how loud the Atak one is based on the s type. I tried to capture audio yesterday but it was overloading my condenser mics. I’m gonna try again today with a cardiod and a boom mic to see if that works better.

the hardest thing in the video will be to show the volume difference. I’ll try to balance it out but other that stating how many db’s I had to cut to capture, not a great point of reference. Actually I have a SPL meter I should use that to check the peak noise.

chrisnack

Reaction score
I’m pretty positive I will be pulling the s type and selling it. It’s just too loud for what I was after. So if anyone wants one with less than 100 miles and wants to save a few bucks, I should be posting it in a few days on here.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m running the ATAK and yeah it’s plenty loud but also very pleasing to hear it at the same time. I was picking up a breakfast sandwich at Wendy’s this morning and there was a old dude about 65 years old sweeping the up the drive through and when I got up to the window he comes up and says “damn boy that thing sounds bad a**” I just laughed and smiled and thanked him and yeah I really stepped on it when I left to let that Hemi sing for the old dude. Btw, Wendy’s breakfast sandwiches are pretty good!

popcenator

Reaction score
It's tough to tell from videos how loud it is, different headphones seem to produce different results as well. It doesn't help either that one person says how loud it is and another says it's not bad. A quiet truck is nice, but I often find myself wishing I could hear more noise.

chrisnack

Reaction score
It's tough to tell from videos how loud it is, different headphones seem to produce different results as well. It doesn't help either that one person says how loud it is and another says it's not bad. A quiet truck is nice, but I often find myself wishing I could hear more noise.

Well the other problem is all the videos being recorded with iphones and gopro's, none of which have very good microphones. I just got done recording the Borla with 4 mics ona 4 channel mixer. 2 distorted out completely, but i've got good audio from the other 2, so i mixed those down. Still can't really show the volume overall, since you kind of normalize it, but stock vs Borla, you can tell a pretty big difference in the volume and tone.

popcenator

Reaction score
Well the other problem is all the videos being recorded with iphones and gopro's, none of which have very good microphones. I just got done recording the Borla with 4 mics ona 4 channel mixer. 2 distorted out completely, but i've got good audio from the other 2, so i mixed those down. Still can't really show the volume overall, since you kind of normalize it, but stock vs Borla, you can tell a pretty big difference in the volume and tone.
Which makes sense, the stock system is ridiculously quiet. My wife's Santa Fe 4 cylinder makes as much noise as my truck. I want the noise, I just don't want annoyingly loud noise.

popcenator

Reaction score
I listened to your recording a couple difference times in a couple different ways. My Bluetooth speaker blows the low end audio way up, and headphones equalize it more. I still can't tell if the sound is overly loud or not. That's the problem with recordings no matter how good the recording equipment is. With headphones on it sounds great. That tone is awesome, I can't believe you didn't like it, but we all have our tastes and I understand that.

Users who are viewing this thread