5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on BORLA exhuast system s-type

chrisnack

Reaction score
I listened to your recording a couple difference times in a couple different ways. My Bluetooth speaker blows the low end audio way up, and headphones equalize it more. I still can't tell if the sound is overly loud or not. That's the problem with recordings no matter how good the recording equipment is. With headphones on it sounds great. That tone is awesome, I can't believe you didn't like it, but we all have our tastes and I understand that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I forgot to put a SPL meter on it but it’s loud compared to stock :)

Partially I’m thinking of when I’ll be towing and it’ll be down a couple gears, that will get old real quick I think. My wife also hates it and won’t ride in the truck, lol

popcenator

Reaction score
Louder than stock is a good thing..I want to hear that exhaust, I don't want it to drown my music or conversations out though.

popcenator

Reaction score
Today's the day, the S-Type will be installed this morning. I'm looking forward to hearing it in person.

popcenator

Reaction score
Well, you weren't kidding. It's loud. Definitely louder than my last truck. The outside is my main concern, I'll start the truck around 7 am and I'm concerned it'll be too loud for the neighbors. The interior is not bad at all. With my radio at normal volume, I can't even hear it while cruising. I love the sound, the tone is perfect. I have a feeling the wife will want me to switch it back. I'm going to give it some time, so we'll see.

Joshohol

Reaction score
Wait you only got the s type and think its loud? I have the Atak and it will get louder as it breaks in. Mine got super loud today. And I start at 6am

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

popcenator

Reaction score
Wait you only got the s type and think its loud? I have the Atak and it will get louder as it breaks in. Mine got super loud today. And I start at 6am

My ears have adjusted to the quiet I think. I honestly love it, it sounds great, but I also want to be considerate of those around me. I will say that it had absolutely no drone. Even when you can hear it inside it's perfectly tolerable. The only thing that makes me a little nervous is that initial startup, that's when it's loud. Idle, cruising and interior are all a pass for me.

popcenator

Reaction score

What's your take on the early startup? Do you think your neighbors hate when you start, do you care what they think?

Joshohol

Reaction score
I do care. I mean cold start is rough. Mine sounds like a firecracker when it first pops. My truck sits 100 feet from my house and it still is loud lol.

popcenator

Reaction score
It'll be interesting. I feel like I need to go across the street to my neighbors driveway and remote start it lol. I do freaking love the tone though.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The morning cold start can be pretty loud, I’ve found it makes a huge difference the way you have the truck facing. I have nothing behind my house so the rear is always facing that way and the next door neighbor is about 200 yards away and have never said anything and I’m usually auto starting her up around 5:30am. Just ask them if they can hear it and/or if it bothers them.

popcenator

Reaction score
I live at the bottom of a T intersection, there's no one directly in front of the garage. The hill that runs to my house almost exactly lines up with my driveway, so the houses on the corners across the street are off to the side.

chrisnack

Reaction score
Well if you need to tone it down I have the optional front muffler sitting in the garage, still factory sealed.

Joshohol

Reaction score
I might order one. My Atak is super loud. I thought putting my stock airbox back on would quiet it down a little. Seems like it mad it louder

popcenator

Reaction score
Well if you need to tone it down I have the optional front muffler sitting in the garage, still factory sealed.
I might order one. My Atak is super loud. I thought putting my stock airbox back on would quiet it down a little. Seems like it mad it louder

I thought about it, but @Al Czervik said it didn't make much of a difference.

popcenator

Reaction score
I'll see what the wife thinks, she hasn't heard it start up yet. I may take that resonator off you in the near future.

popcenator

Reaction score
Well the wife finally got to hear it. She actually didn't hate it for the most part. She has the same worry as me though with the cold start up in the mornings. She gave me that look when it first started lol. She didn't think the interior was bad. Now I have to decide if I want to do my neighbors a favor and go a different route. It is a bit louder than I was wanting. I do love the tone though. My backup is the Borla ProXS with a resonator delete.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread