5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on BORLA exhuast system s-type

Nibis

Reaction score
Great tip! Now that you've had it on for 24 hours, are you still all-in on the S-type? Any drone in MDS or other drawbacks? I've been leaning towards this system for a year, but I've yet to pull the trigger. My last truck was quite loud, and I guess I've been giving myself a little break :)
Go with the Touring, its pretty loud, but if you need to, the resonator really tones it down

STR

Reaction score
Great tip! Now that you've had it on for 24 hours, are you still all-in on the S-type? Any drone in MDS or other drawbacks? I've been leaning towards this system for a year, but I've yet to pull the trigger. My last truck was quite loud, and I guess I've been giving myself a little break :)

Definitely recommend! One of the best sounding exhausts that I’ve installed. I’d say that there in no more drone than the OEM set-up, and the MDS activation is barely audible. Any resonation is minimal, and you can easily work around it with the pedal. As soon as the RPMs drop, the cabin is pretty quiet. No issues conversing, using the phone, or listening to the radio.

It is louder than Borla’s previous Gen lineup, but not to the point where it’s overwhelming. The tone is deep and throaty, but controlled and tuned. I don’t want it to be louder, and I’m glad that it’s not quieter. I’ve spent a lot of time and money swapping out exhausts on other vehicles in pursuit of that perfect sound. I will not be swapping out this one(y)

STR

Reaction score
I see that Borla doesn’t recommend their Cleaner/Polish for the black chrome tips. So what are you guys using to maintain the finish? I guess that I’ll applied whatever product that I use for the truck finish, like Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax, or similar.
F20872BC-57A7-476B-8B63-207C21030D14.png

Shives

Reaction score
OK, I have a question... I've been looking for exhausts systems, and listening to sounds clips, this and that. My question, Why has nobody mentioned the Carven exhaust systems?

Just curious if anyone has listen to them? Sort of old school carven exhaust for Mopar.. Cool.

Sorry to bring up a two month old topic ha !

STR

Reaction score
Carven is certainly a good option, but I preferred the sound/tone of the Borla. I had Borla installed on a 4th Gen and GT500, so I was familiar with its general sound signature. I also have Corsa installed on another vehicle, and really like it too, but never really considered it for my Rebel. I’ve had the Borla set-up installed for a couple weeks now, and I am not second guessing my decision. If you like a deep throaty tone without the drone, then consider the S-Type... or their other two versions... or check out Carven. I heard good things about them too (y)

STR

Reaction score
^^^ You must have just installed just a Borla muffler. The S-Type system doesn’t have resonators. BF580018-122A-4972-9957-7B3C851E5299.jpeg

MikeS54

Reaction score
Is it good practice to reset the PCM / ECU when installing an aftermarket exhaust? Or is disconnecting the battery for 10 mins all you need?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have no clue as with all of the exhausts I’ve had, I’ve never done anything but install them.

STR

Reaction score
Is it good practice to reset the PCM / ECU when installing an aftermarket exhaust? Or is disconnecting the battery for 10 mins all you need?

If it’s just an muffler, muffler delete, axle-back or cat-back system, then there is no need to disconnect the battery or reset the ECU. The only time that you would want to consider doing that is if you were installing headers or removing the cats/altering the O2 sensors that are monitored, which often requires tuning anyway.

MikeS54

Reaction score
I installed a Borla S on my Rebel last Friday. And since then , I swear I've noticed a loss in power . Definitely not as quick when punching it going 40 MPH. Is that normal for only an exhaust install? I'm wondering if I need to add a CAI to get back to where I was with power. Any thoughts/insight? Thanks in advance.

BTW, the exhaust does sound awesome though.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed a Borla S on my Rebel last Friday. And since then , I swear I've noticed a loss in power . Definitely not as quick when punching it going 40 MPH. Is that normal for only an exhaust install? I'm wondering if I need to add a CAI to get back to where I was with power. Any thoughts/insight? Thanks in advance.

It’s really not possible that changing out your catback caused a loss in power. Definitely don’t add a CAI either... if you truly think you have a big loss in power, take it for service. Exhausts should ever cause issues with warranty, but a CAI could, so I definitely wouldn’t go that route right now if you have a real issue.
That said, I think this is just in your head. Ever go for a ride in a Tesla? They feel SO fast because you literally hear nothing, you just feel the speed.

STR

Reaction score

I didn’t notice any loss in power... or any gains, but it certainly sounded faster :p

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Definitely did not notice loss nor gain but as said sounded faster ha ha ha.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Well, I literally just bought mine (on eBay, brand new for $934 including tax and shipping) ... I'll let you know how the butt-dyno feels once it's installed. :D

STR

Reaction score
^^^ You won’t be disappointed. That first cold start will certainly put a smile on your face. Goodbye Prius, hello HEMI! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
If you put a HEMI into it, sure. XD

I can't wait. I've been waiting for months for this. I'll be calling around to see if anyone can install it for me soon. I don't have a lift and I want to retain the OEM exhaust, something I can't do with just jacks alone.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you put a HEMI into it, sure. XD

I can't wait. I've been waiting for months for this. I'll be calling around to see if anyone can install it for me soon. I don't have a lift and I want to retain the OEM exhaust, something I can't do with just jacks alone.
you could try removing your spare tire if you're interested in taking it off yourself, thats the only way ive seen people take the whole oem exhaust out without cutting!

Users who are viewing this thread