5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on BORLA exhuast system s-type

MarvynR95

Reaction score
Hello all, new owner to a 2020 ram 1500 bighorn night edition 4X4, I plan on going with the BORLA s-type exhuast system, and was wondering if i could get some insight on how it all works, as far as not voiding any warranties, is the s-type simply bolt on, remove old exhaust system and install new kind? any help is appreciated, thanks.

Snakes709

Reaction score
Yes, thats all you do is unbolt the oem exhaust and install the new one. And no, it wont void your warranty, not unless its a direct cause of a failure....ie if you didnt tighten the bolts tight enough or use the heat cover and burnt a brake line.

rsmeanie

Reaction score
I love my S-type. Perfect blend of deep rumble without the raspiness of the ATAK. The ATAK also seemed out of place for a Limited. Also got mine with the black tips.

popcenator

Reaction score
I'm about to schedule my appointment tomorrow to get it done in a couple weeks. No drone inside, tolerable noise when driving around? All the videos I watch have the radio off, and of course it'll be loud. Can you still really hear it with music paying?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Joshohol

Reaction score
I got the Atak for my bighorn. Sounds amazing. I was going to go corsa but it was on backorder. The touring is a lot quieter and I'd almost go with that if I didnt already install the Atak

moparleo51

Reaction score
have the s-type a great in between tone without drone, i too was going to go with the corsca but it was about $400 more. i also have the black 5 inch tips. makes the rear of the truck look good filling out the cutout s.

tcm4950

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got the Atak for my bighorn. Sounds amazing. I was going to go corsa but it was on backorder. The touring is a lot quieter and I'd almost go with that if I didnt already install the Atak
I love my Atak

popcenator

Reaction score
I'm getting the S-Type in a couple weeks, I'm hoping I won't miss having a quiet cab once I have it installed.

popcenator

Reaction score
I should have said the noise won't matter to me really, I'm hoping the wife doesn't throw a fit about how loud it is. She's not a fan of a loud truck, but my '12 had the ProXS with 5" tips which made it fairly loud so I think she'll live.

RebelRomper

Reaction score
I’ve had the borla-s type exhaust installed on my ‘20 rebel now for about 3 weeks. It is much louder than I expected, both in and out of the cab. Now, that is fine with me, it has an amazing rumble. But it is very loud. Only at gentle cruising is it quiet, anything more and it really growls. The most important part though is- my wife says “that’s how a truck should sound”.
Cold starts make me smile every time.
Added k+n CAI last week but don’t notice any change in volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popcenator

Reaction score
As long as it doesn't drone and I can listen to music without cranking the volume way up I'll be fine. My last Ram was louder but the muffler droned at cruising, sounds like the S-Type doesn't. My Vararam definitely made the engine louder itself.

Joshohol

Reaction score
Yea the intakes make them noticeably louder. The trucks in general have a lot of drone when you put an exhaust on from the mds. 4 cylinder mode sucks.

As long as it doesn't drone and I can listen to music without cranking the volume way up I'll be fine. My last Ram was louder but the muffler droned at cruising, sounds like the S-Type doesn't. My Vararam definitely made the engine louder itself.

popcenator

Reaction score
I may take the Vararam off if it ends up too noisy, I only put the VR on because I had it on my 4th gen and wanted some extra noise, I'm not sure how much it really adds

chrisnack

Reaction score
Just installed the Borla S-Type on my new 2020 Limited last night. Am pretty disappointed in the sound, don't think it sounds that great, and it's surprisingly loud for a "sport" exhaust. I just ordered the additional resonator and will install that hopefully next week. We'll see how that changes the sound. I will have some high-quality recordings I can post once i get that installed. I use some pro audio gear to capture the stock exhaust, stock intake, then borla s-type, k&n intake, and then next week I'll grab the borla s-type with resonator.

My brother had RAM with MagnaFlow and it sounded much better. We'll see after I install the Resonator what i think of the Borla system.

popcenator

Reaction score
Just installed the Borla S-Type on my new 2020 Limited last night. Am pretty disappointed in the sound, don't think it sounds that great, and it's surprisingly loud for a "sport" exhaust. I just ordered the additional resonator and will install that hopefully next week. We'll see how that changes the sound. I will have some high-quality recordings I can post once i get that installed. I use some pro audio gear to capture the stock exhaust, stock intake, then borla s-type, k&n intake, and then next week I'll grab the borla s-type with resonator.

My brother had RAM with MagnaFlow and it sounded much better. We'll see after I install the Resonator what i think of the Borla system.
What year was his Ram? I've noticed that the same exhaust sounds different on the 4th gen than it does on the 5th gen.

I had true duals with 5" tips on my 2012, I don't mind noise, I just don't want it obnoxiously loud, I don't want to be that neighbor.

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
Just installed the Borla S-Type on my new 2020 Limited last night. Am pretty disappointed in the sound, don't think it sounds that great, and it's surprisingly loud for a "sport" exhaust. I just ordered the additional resonator and will install that hopefully next week. We'll see how that changes the sound. We'll see after I install the Resonator what i think of the Borla system.

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't expect a huge difference in sound after installing the resonator with the S-Type. While it does cut a little "edge" off the tone, it's not a huge change. For the record though, I loved the tone to start with and only installed the resonator so I didn't have to creep out of the neighborhood at a snail's pace in the mornings.

What year was his Ram? I've noticed that the same exhaust sounds different on the 4th gen than it does on the 5th gen.

I had true duals with 5" tips on my 2012, I don't mind noise, I just don't want it obnoxiously loud, I don't want to be that neighbor.

"Obnoxiously loud" means many things to many people... IMHO, people who don't appreciate a nice exhaust tone from any motor tend to consider anything but a stock exhaust obnoxiously loud. I've been married to one of those people for 30 plus years...

Users who are viewing this thread