5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on BORLA exhuast system s-type

popcenator

Reaction score
I thought the Borla S-type droned bad for sure on my 2020, one of the things i didn't like. I'm not stranger to loud exhausts, i have them on everything and my motorcycles.
Have to agree with you there with my 2019, especially when the system was cold. The resonator has definitely addressed that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Chuck19

Reaction score
Borla not Corsa

#40359 is the one I used. It’s the only direct fit one that doesn’t require u to rework the “Y”. All else was left alone. $150 total installed. Sounds GREAT when u gas it, sounds slightly louder at cruise. U can hear MDS kick in just like stock but zero drone. Very happy.
Do you have a sound clip or video clip that can give us an example of the sound this gives with just the muffler added on?

Nibis

Reaction score
I think I'll be installing the resonator. My truck doesn't even have the stock resonator, so it may be a bit louder than others, and while it's not terrible, I agree with popcenator, it just needs the edge taken off.

STR

Reaction score
I ordered the S-types last week and they’re still on back order. Now I’m thinking about getting the ATAKs. I don’t mind loud, just drone. Any suggestions?

popcenator

Reaction score
I ordered the S-types last week and they’re still on back order. Now I’m thinking about getting the ATAKs. I don’t mind loud, just drone. Any suggestions?
I think the S-Type is plenty loud, much louder than the true dual 14" Magnaflow that was on my '12. I added the resonator because it did seem like the system droned, especially when cold.

Reactions: STR

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m running the ATAK and it’s plenty loud which is fine by me. I always run with the gear limit on which disables MDS otherwise you will get a little drone. It’s also relatively loud in the cab when you step on it but no issues at cruising speed 65-75. I believe they’re running $100 off promo currently.

STR

Reaction score
^^^ I have the Rebel w/the 3.92s. I’m wondering if the gearing has any bearing on drone. I’ve mod’ed exhausts on all of my vehicles, and there is usually a general consensus of opinions on various set-ups, but this Borla debate is all over the place... on here, other Ram forums, and YouTube. I was leaning toward Corsa, as I have the Xtremes on my Z06 and love it, but I don’t like the clips that I’ve heard with the HEMI. So I’m going w/Borla, but many are saying that the S-Type is too loud, or the ATAK is loud, but not that loud. I had the ATAKs on a GT500 and the S-Type on a 4th Gen Ram. I didn’t think that either of them were too loud, but evidently the Gen 5 Borla line is louder than on pervious Gens.

FYI: Summit has the S-Type for $929 and the ATAK for $944. It’s a coin flip at this point.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
^^^ I have the Rebel w/the 3.92s. I’m wondering if the gearing has any bearing on drone. I’ve mod’ed exhausts on all of my vehicles, and there is usually a general consensus of opinions on various set-ups, but this Borla debate is all over the place... on here, other Ram forums, and YouTube. I was leaning toward Corsa, as I have the Xtremes on my Z06 and love it, but I don’t like the clips that I’ve heard with the HEMI. So I’m going w/Borla, but many are saying that the S-Type is too loud, or the ATAK is loud, but not that loud. I had the ATAKs on a ‘14 GT500 and the S-Type on a 4th Gen Ram. I didn’t think that either of them were too loud, but evidently the Gen 5 Borla line is louder than on pervious Gens...

FYI: Summit has the S-Type for $929 and the ATAK for $944. It’s a coin flip at this point.
Will be interested to hear your thoughts once installed.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ I have the Rebel w/the 3.92s. I’m wondering if the gearing has any bearing on drone. I’ve mod’ed exhausts on all of my vehicles, and there is usually a general consensus of opinions on various set-ups, but this Borla debate is all over the place... on here, other Ram forums, and YouTube. I was leaning toward Corsa, as I have the Xtremes on my Z06 and love it, but I don’t like the clips that I’ve heard with the HEMI. So I’m going w/Borla, but many are saying that the S-Type is too loud, or the ATAK is loud, but not that loud. I had the ATAKs on a ‘14 GT500 and the S-Type on a 4th Gen Ram. I didn’t think that either of them were too loud, but evidently the Gen 5 Borla line is louder than on pervious Gens...

Go for the ATAK!

popcenator

Reaction score
Yeah, if you don't mind loud go big with the ATAK. You can always get the resonator to dial it back a little. I'm definitely glad I went with the S-Type, I wish I could hear the ATAK in person though.

STR

Reaction score
What I remember from the sound comparisons between the S-Type and ATAK, albeit different vehicles/engines, was that the S-Type (5.7 HEMI/Gen 4) was deeper/throatier with a more controlled tone, and the ATAK (5.4 SC SVT) was a little higher pitched with a raspy/NASCAR tone. I really couldn’t say that the ATAKs were “louder”, it just hit those higher frequencies, but they both sounded great.

Nonetheless, Borla was the easy choice, and I’ve never had T-304 SS rust, but have had the T-400 SS series rust. The back ordered S-Types will be shipped on 5/20 unless I make the change. Back to YouTube. BTW, that Hammerdown ATAK vid is certainly convincing (y)

Last edited:

popcenator

Reaction score
I prefer the S-Type tone, but that's just personal preference. I've heard other 5th gens locally with some sort of exhaust work done and it just doesn't compare in my opinion to the Borla. It's worth the wait I think.

STR

Reaction score
The back order exhaust was delivery today. While I debated going with the ATAK, I elected to keep the S-type as I liked its deep tone based on previous experience. I quickly pulled the truck up onto Rhino Ramps, dropped the spare, and removed the passenger side spare tire shield. I was able to snake the OEM exhaust trough the opening without any issues. I installed the new exhaust, but discovered that the passenger side was too close to the rear bump stop bracket. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the muffler hangers were bent. I couldn’t remedy while installed, so I had to remove everything, adjust/bend the hangers, and reinstall. I also had to adjust the resonator pipe at the cats to get proper clearance, and the tips were a PITA to center as well. Note: don’t forget to install the supplied heat shield wrap around the lines directly above the pumpkin.

Finally, everything is aligned and looking good. Started the truck and wow! Great low and throaty tone. Not too loud, but you certainly know that it’s a V8. Took it for a spin and it sounds great. Also, the 5” black tips look awesome. Maybe the best available for the 5th Gen.

I had the S-type previously installed on a 4th Gen Ram, and this set-up is definitely louder and deeper. I think Borla may have bumped up the volume on all of its 5th Gen exhausts. While I think that is a good thing, I now understand why so many were surprised by the loudness...

Last edited:

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The back order exhaust was delivery today. While I debated on going with the ATAK, I elected to keep the S-type as I liked its deep tone based on previous experience. I quickly pulled the truck up onto Rhino Ramps, dropped the spare, and removed the passenger side spare tire shield. I was able to snake the OEM exhaust trough the opening without any issues. I installed the new exhaust, but discovered that the passenger side was too close to the suspension. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the muffler hangers were bent. I couldn’t remedy while installed, so I had to remove everything, adjust/bend the hangers, and reinstall. I also had to adjust the resonator pipe at the cats to get proper clearance, and the tips were a PITA to center too...

Finally, everything is aligned and looking good. Start the truck and wow! Great low and throaty tone. Not too loud, but you certainly know that it’s a V8. Took it for a spin and it sounds great. Also, the tips look awesome. Maybe the best available for the 5th Gen.

I had the S-type previously installed on a 4th Gen Ram, and this set-up is definitely louder and deeper. I think Borla may have bumped up the volume on all of its 5th Gen exhausts. While I think that is a good thing, I now understand why so many were surprised by the loudness...
Did you have MDS active or disabled via gear limit or tow/haul? Glad you’re happy with your choice.

STR

Reaction score
^^^ Thanks. I didn’t disable it. I haven’t put many miles on it yet to see what 4 cyl sounds like...

Nibis

Reaction score
I think MDS sounds better without the resonator, with the resonator, I'm more aware of it.

STR

Reaction score
... BTW, if installing on ramps, don’t attempt to align the tips until you’re back on a level surface. The suspension is compressed on an incline, so when you’re level again the tips will move up and touch the bumper. I forgot this anomaly and had to realign them again...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
... BTW, if installing on ramps, don’t attempt to align the tips until you’re back on a level surface. The suspension is compressed on an incline, so when you’re level again the tips will move up and touch the bumper. I forgot this anomaly and had to realign them again...
Great tip! Now that you've had it on for 24 hours, are you still all-in on the S-type? Any drone in MDS or other drawbacks? I've been leaning towards this system for a year, but I've yet to pull the trigger. My last truck was quite loud, and I guess I've been giving myself a little break :)

Users who are viewing this thread