5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does this mean one can activate more then 1 rear/trailer camera? (Let’s say a backup and 2 trailer side cameras?) and switch between them all? What the options in AlfaOBD to enable this?
See my post directly above yours ^

JIMBODIO

Reaction score
I’m curious if I’m understanding correctly. If I purchase the rca and Mouser connectors and a camera, that is all I need for hardware. I have a 2021 1500 non nav 8.4”. Can alfaobd turn on the CHMSL camera? Tried with no success.

azzx

Reaction score
In the process of installing Natika camera
Did any of you had to remove the grill to install the camera?
any way to attach the nut to fasten the camera without removing parts?
I did remove the plastic shield and the crown piece, but not enough room for my hands to reach the screw to put nut on

thank you

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the process of installing Natika camera
Did any of you had to remove the grill to install the camera?
any way to attach the nut to fasten the camera without removing parts?
I did remove the plastic shield and the crown piece, but not enough room for my hands to reach the screw to put nut on

thank you
I didn’t remove my grill. I removed all the top grill bolts, pulled the grill back enough to get a 2x4 between the top of the grill and the core support, routed the wiring, then (by some feat of magic and a lot of cursing) got the nut on and tight.

azzx

Reaction score
Guys
I am attempting to connect to the pins in the back to test my installed already camera (NATIKA) -- Pain to get it installed!
attached is a picture of the connector from my truck. I have read pins 21 and 22 or, 24, 25.
Am i identifying the locations correctly?
the pigtail from the camera (with Mouser connectors) is inserted from the back here where my lines are pointing to in either selection?

IMG20220518150053.jpg

Last edited:

lawmann8

Reaction score
To complicated for my tiny mind. Is the a way to plug&play a Mopar OEM front RAM badge camera on a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie with 12" Uconnect?

ALT_F13

Reaction score
To complicated for my tiny mind. Is the a way to plug&play a Mopar OEM front RAM badge camera on a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie with 12" Uconnect?
As I know, there is no single front camera option for RAM 1500. It is either backup camera only, or surround cameras, which work through a dedicated module that collect inputs from 4 surround cameras and sends it as one video feed to the screen.

Pooltbl18

Reaction score
If I have power mirrors with auto dimming and the defrosters is it possible to just add the cameras or do I need to order new mirrors?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I have power mirrors with auto dimming and the defrosters is it possible to just add the cameras or do I need to order new mirrors?
You need new mirrors that have the cameras. But, to get them to work, you need to do the entire surround view install- new rear camera, new tailgate handle, front cam, CVPM, etc.

Pooltbl18

Reaction score
You need new mirrors that have the cameras. But, to get them to work, you need to do the entire surround view install- new rear camera, new tailgate handle, front cam, CVPM, etc.
From what I read I figured I would need the rest of the parts but everyone else seamed to have manual mirrors so I wasn’t sure if the power mirrors had to be replaced or if you could just order the cameras. Thank you

Omlifecrew

Reaction score
I installed the Natika camera that was recommended in this post and everything went smoothly. I cut the white and green loop to make it a front view camera. My only issue is the image is still reversed and the guidelines still show. The wires are separate from one another and isolated so they can't touch. Any thoughts?

firebirder

Reaction score
Hi all,
I found this interesting topic. I have a 8.4 uconnect in my 2015 Grand Cherokee SRT (I know, I know not a RAM...) with firmware version 15.06.01, but I do not get the blue screen or the soft buttons when I click the "Cargo camera" under controls. After activating CHMSL also my OEM rear camera doesn't show the picture automatically when I am in reverse. All is fine again when I setup CHMSL to no again. Do I need to update my firmware of the UConnect? Somewhere in this topic I noted it is for 2016+ devices.
Kind regards,
Daniel

Last edited:

PunisherIX

Reaction score
I just picked up a 19 Limited and want to add the front camera. What all will it take to work properly? I don't do A/V stuff at all so links would be much appreciated

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
I installed the Natika camera that was recommended in this post and everything went smoothly. I cut the white and green loop to make it a front view camera. My only issue is the image is still reversed and the guidelines still show. The wires are separate from one another and isolated so they can't touch. Any thoughts?
Where did you get the power from for the camera? The 12v

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
I’d suggest tapping fuse F66 under the steering wheel. Here's a Labeled Fuse Diagram for the 1500

You could tap a fuse in the fuse box under the hood or under the dash. Since you’re running the video cable through the firewall anyway, I would use the fuse box under the steering wheel dash (F66). If under the hood I’d suggest f60.
Ok so the normal trigger for inside behind radio, say use f66 under dash?

What about the positive and ground under hood near camera?

Or are you saying that is where we need to add to f60 u see hood so I don’t use the red trigger on the camera wire inside the cab?

ecouzens

Reaction score
Has anyone done this mod on a 2022 2500 with the 12" Uconnect 5? The back of the unit is very different! There is no one single main connector to tie the camera signal into.
There are actually very few connections.

20220812_173816.jpg

It appears that there is an interface module behind the unit where the bulk of the connections are made to the unit then just the signal cable are connected to the display.

20220812_174026.jpg

Behind this module are the bulk of the raw connections to the Uconnect system.

20220812_174718.jpg
I am not clear where to connect the new front camera. Does anyone have an idea?

Users who are viewing this thread