5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

Nehal51086

Reaction score
Been scanning page after page, by chance is there a "shopping list" available. Just stumbled on the thread and it's now 28 pages... Thanks in advance.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been scanning page after page, by chance is there a "shopping list" available. Just stumbled on the thread and it's now 28 pages... Thanks in advance.
This is what I used:

Nakita backup camera
AV Female Splitter

There are little metal plugs to go into the uconnect harness, but I can't find the link.

Edit: FOUND THEM

Then you'll need the OBDII adapter and AlfaOBD on your phone or computer.

Last edited:

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
Can someone let me know how exactly the nakita camera wiring goes?

I have a red and black on one side of the cable under the hood. I have a red at the end where the rca also is.

Can someone explain to me where these should be connected to or what these wires are?

Also the specific terminal numbers for the female pigtail.

Pretty please?

lawmann8

Reaction score
I wish I could answer this but I'm in the same situation. Researching and will let you know if I come up with anything.

Alakdan

Reaction score
Today is the darkest day owning a 2019 Laramie non-Nav 8.4 uConnect after enabling it using AlfaOBD and TazerDT.
The soft switch won't appear. 😭

Last edited:

fusion213

Reaction score
For the 2022+ trucks with Uconnect 5,
Another member had posted a link to a Mopar Connection Repair Kit site, Mopar Connection Repair Kit
I looked up a 2022 truck and got this pinout:
1662697801094.png

Hopefully, we can connect an analog video signal to VIDEO SIGNAL 1 / VIDEO COMMON 1.

The connector is a Molex sTAK50h, https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family/stak50h_unsealed_connection_system

On my truck, there are three of these sTAK50h headers, a green, blue, and purple. Only the green and blue are populated. I'll take a look and see if these cavities are populated or not. If they are, hopefully they match this pinout.

I've also ordered some terminals for this. TE and Molex make them.
Molex: TAK50 Terminal, available in a 0.13 (~26AWG) and 0.35 (~22AWG) mm2 wire.
TE: NanoMQS Gen 50 terminal, 22 AWG: 2272196-2 : Generation 50 Automotive Terminals
NOTE: There's also a 26 AWG version of the NanoMQS.

I found some NanoMQS Gen 50 22 AWG terminals from Newark in the UK, so I should have those soon.

Once I get the parts and tools in, I'll share my findings here.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For the 2022+ trucks with Uconnect 5,
Another member had posted a link to a Mopar Connection Repair Kit site, Mopar Connection Repair Kit
I looked up a 2022 truck and got this pinout:
View attachment 138795

Hopefully, we can connect an analog video signal to VIDEO SIGNAL 1 / VIDEO COMMON 1.

The connector is a Molex sTAK50h, https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family/stak50h_unsealed_connection_system

On my truck, there are three of these sTAK50h headers, a green, blue, and purple. Only the green and blue are populated. I'll take a look and see if these cavities are populated or not. If they are, hopefully they match this pinout.

I've also ordered some terminals for this. TE and Molex make them.
Molex: TAK50 Terminal, available in a 0.13 (~26AWG) and 0.35 (~22AWG) mm2 wire.
TE: NanoMQS Gen 50 terminal, 22 AWG: 2272196-2 : Generation 50 Automotive Terminals
NOTE: There's also a 26 AWG version of the NanoMQS.

I found some NanoMQS Gen 50 22 AWG terminals from Newark in the UK, so I should have those soon.

Once I get the parts and tools in, I'll share my findings here.
From earlier in the thread, the cargo cam inputs are actually 25 and 32 (at least, they are on an HD Ram).

So far, nobody has reported the cargo cam soft key showing up on a UC5 screen in a 2022 1500 yet. There is a member on the TRX forum that the cargo cam soft key didn’t show up on his 12” UC5.

fusion213

Reaction score
From earlier in the thread, the cargo cam inputs are actually 25 and 32 (at least, they are on an HD Ram).

So far, nobody has reported the cargo cam soft key showing up on a UC5 screen in a 2022 1500 yet. There is a member on the TRX forum that the cargo cam soft key didn’t show up on his 12” UC5.

I’ve enabled the auxiliary cams 1 and 2 on my radio. The cargo camera inputs didn’t work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
does anyone know if the above applies to the 21? Also anyone can explain what the red wires on each side of the camera wire go as well as the black one that’s on on one of the ends of the nakita camera?

fusion213

Reaction score
This is what’s on my ‘22, it says Front Camera because I renamed it in settings>camera

00edcb17f47b95d437f7718a75879011.jpg

Alakdan

Reaction score
This is what’s on my ‘22, it says Front Camera because I renamed it in settings>camera
What pinout you are using?

I will try my luck of this setting in the morning if the soft key appear.

[edit] Nevermind.
The trailer hitch camera softkey is not showing up.
I tried the surround view camera soft key and it is showing up when I enabled it but of course it won't function.

Screenshot_20220911-045401_AlfaOBD.jpg

Last edited:

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok I am not giving up yet. I want some help to locate the backup camera signal(cable) that going to uConnect(pinout or module) and also the camera pin-out.
This is my plan. Switcher is maybe an electronic switch or anything that works like a simple conventional multiple pole selector switch. Thanks. View attachment 139138
The only way I see it is, get an adapter cable from Fakra to Coaxial and add a Source selector switch.

Coaxial.PNG fakra.PNG

Alakdan

Reaction score
Thanks. I appreciate your help.

[edit]. I deleted my post for revision.
Reposting my plan mod. The camera has a multiple pin. I need help for the pinout description/function or maybe a schematic diagram.
Note that my Laramie doesn't have the cargo cam softkey. Thanks.
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:

fusion213

Reaction score
I finally had time to finish up the install.

The connector cavities for Video Signal 1 and Video Signal 2 were already populated in my truck. I decided to depin the terminals for Video Signal 1 and Video Common 1. NOTE: the pin out diagram is a FACE VIEW, you’re looking from the perspective of where the pins go into the sockets. You can look at the back side of the connector for the cavity number if you lose your reference.

I needed to make a depinning tool, so I took some safety wire and smashed it flat, then I ground down the sides until it fit into the terminal depinning opening. You can read the Molex Application Specification for details on how to release the intermediate secondary lock (ISL) and then how to depin the connector.

I also crimped the TE terminals using a generic 1mm width open barrel crimper. I folded the wire on the RCA receptacle since it seemed to be 26 AWG and I’m putting it into a 22 AWG terminal. There was a larger size opening in my crimper which I used to crimp the insulation crimp of the terminal.

I used my depinning tool to push in the terminals, closed the ISL, plugged everything back in. I provided power to my front camera from the engine bay fuse box. It’s a switched ignition fuse I tapped.

Here are the results:
6a5840851a72329e5a6975a94620dba9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread