5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy! You are probably the most knowledgeable person on the forum! Found the processing module from Ram HD on ebay, could you say it’s the same my 1500? https://www.ebay.com/itm/114871400279
It’s not the same because the HD CVPM has the cargo camera running through it also. I don’t know if an HD CVPM would work on a DT truck because I’m not sure if the CVPM is looking for specific vehicle line information.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy! You are probably the most knowledgeable person on the forum! If i connect my existing rear view camera it will not work, or will work incorrect? Found the processing module from Ram HD on ebay, could you say it’s the same my 1500? https://www.ebay.com/itm/114871400279
Also, on the linked CVPM, not only is one of the fakra connector missing, but it appears the coax contact is completely ripped off of the circuit board.

Georgf

Reaction score
It’s not the same because the HD CVPM has the cargo camera running through it also. I don’t know if an HD CVPM would work on a DT truck because I’m not sure if the CVPM is looking for specific vehicle line information.
Thanks again, if so just stay with my stock rear view camera system.

Cesar592

Reaction score
which would be all the parts to have the surround view that they did in that uconnect 5.0

ALT_F13

Reaction score
So I finally decided to add front facing camera to my 2020 Rebel. Not for the parking purposes (front park assist helps with that), but for off-roading when I don't have a wingman to navigate me.
I did the same trick on Wrangler and Durango before, and the same upgrade on the Rebel is even easier. I used Z-Automotive guide how to install their front camera into Wrangler/Gladiator, and it worked the same for Rebel.

What I did:
1. Got this camera - I've used it many times before for front and back and it always worked fine, even at night. Great for less then $30. Unfortunately, the first camera wasn't working and I've spend 2 hours trying to identify the cause. But eventually ordered a replacement and it worked as soon as plugged it in.
2. Plugged it into pins 21 and 22 on the back of my 12" Uconnect using Z-Automotive harness (I've accidently ordered 3 in the past, and I had 1 spare)
3. Plugged the power into the back of cigarette lighter connector using an inline fuse.
4. Installed the camera between the legs of A in RAM letters in the front grill and wired it through the grobbet to the left of the brake pedal.
5. Enabled cargo camera through AlfaOBD and rebooted the multimedia system ("ECU Reset" button in AlfaOBD)
6. Calibrated the camera position so guiding lines match with wheels. Used a couple of 2x12 boards to test that I can get my front wheels on them from any angle. And it worked! :)
Without 2 hours to investigate why Uconnect was showing the blue screen instead of camera view, I maybe spent 2 hours in total to install. But I did it 2 times before in my life, so maybe if you are new to this it will take 2.5-3 hours to do the same. With $35 budget (camera + in-line fuse) that is the must upgrade for off-roading.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-09 140247.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-09 140247.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 643
  • 20210806_235730764_iOS.jpg
    20210806_235730764_iOS.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 636
  • Screenshot 2021-08-09 141725.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-09 141725.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 634

kd908070

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully added the camera to the 8.4" without NAV? I have read many posts and see people have issue to enable the UConnect to have Camera shows up. Thanks

Redhorn

Reaction score
so I’m in the process of adding a cargo camera to work with the cargo soft key with my led CHMSL that already has the camera for the digital rearview mirror. So far all I did tonight was drill to mount the camera in place and I’ll eventually do the wiring after this weekend. Hopefully it all goes well.

So far I’m very pleased with the fit so far

View attachment 79005 View attachment 79006 View attachment 79007

That looks amazing. Any chance can do the write up for adding Cargo cam to LED CHMSL?

Dbsimmons

Reaction score
Also, on the linked CVPM, not only is one of the fakra connector missing, but it appears the coax contact is completely ripped off of the circuit board.
Do you have to use oem cameras or will a aftermarket one work to add to the cvpm?
Thank you

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have to use oem cameras or will a aftermarket one work to add to the cvpm?
Thank you
You need to use the OEM cameras that are specific to the CVPM. Your current factory rear view camera won’t even work with the CVPM, as the surround view system uses a different one.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally decided to add front facing camera to my 2020 Rebel. Not for the parking purposes (front park assist helps with that), but for off-roading when I don't have a wingman to navigate me.
I did the same trick on Wrangler and Durango before, and the same upgrade on the Rebel is even easier. I used Z-Automotive guide how to install their front camera into Wrangler/Gladiator, and it worked the same for Rebel.

What I did:
1. Got this camera - I've used it many times before for front and back and it always worked fine, even at night. Great for less then $30. Unfortunately, the first camera wasn't working and I've spend 2 hours trying to identify the cause. But eventually ordered a replacement and it worked as soon as plugged it in.
2. Plugged it into pins 21 and 22 on the back of my 12" Uconnect using Z-Automotive harness (I've accidently ordered 3 in the past, and I had 1 spare)
3. Plugged the power into the back of cigarette lighter connector using an inline fuse.
4. Installed the camera between the legs of A in RAM letters in the front grill and wired it through the grobbet to the left of the brake pedal.
5. Enabled cargo camera through AlfaOBD and rebooted the multimedia system ("ECU Reset" button in AlfaOBD)
6. Calibrated the camera position so guiding lines match with wheels. Used a couple of 2x12 boards to test that I can get my front wheels on them from any angle. And it worked! :)
Without 2 hours to investigate why Uconnect was showing the blue screen instead of camera view, I maybe spent 2 hours in total to install. But I did it 2 times before in my life, so maybe if you are new to this it will take 2.5-3 hours to do the same. With $35 budget (camera + in-line fuse) that is the must upgrade for off-roading.
Do you have the part number for which z-automotive harness is needed with the 12” info unit?

Reaction score
Since you have an HD, those are the aux 1&2 trailer camera inputs at 21-26. Just pull them out.
I got an HD also, I got the soft key already done,
Question: Could I then just plug my camera to the trailer aux cam plug connector?

If yes where are they connected and pins?

Reaction score
I got an HD also, I got the soft key already done,
Question: Could I then just plug my camera to the trailer aux cam plug connector?

If yes where are they connected and pins?
20210926_120659.jpg Does anyone know where's the end connector to it?

My idea is to just plug my new analog camera to it. I will then still have the trailer aux camera option available.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 106461 Does anyone know where's the end connector to it?

My idea is to just plug my new analog camera to it. I will then still have the trailer aux camera option available.
I haven’t looked at those connectors, but do you see the number 1 anywhere on the front or back of that connector?

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about this plug connector, it's the other end of the video wires that I want to know more about its location.

20210926_120659.jpg

Reaction score
Vehicle Trailer Camera Harness install diagrams , show certain (CONNECTOR 34900-3120) and was wondering if I can plug into it with my video feed.
screenshot_20210926-125510_adobe-acrobat-jpg.106463

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210926-125510_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210926-125510_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,057

Pompito

Reaction score
Did this Mod today. Great write up by @toyboy1980. Everything worked flawlessly. Had already enabled the cargo cam softkey with alfaOBD, took about 2 days to appear. Pins 21-signal, 22-ground for my 2020 Rebel 12. While I was at it, did the trailer brake controller also. Great mod!

Reactions: c3k

Users who are viewing this thread