5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

chucka

Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Can you install an OEM front camera and have it go through the radio like the rear one does? that is if your truck did not come with it.
I think it would be very helpful for parking situations when it's a very tight fit. example: I back into my garage every day because I literally have to get within about 2 inches for my truck to fit. So it would be nice if could pull in forward and use the front camera to see how close I am to the wall.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am sure it "can be done" but that does not make it a simple plug and play process, In addition to the camera and wiring, I believe you would have to find a dealer that is willing to update the computer to accept the feed. A body shop might be a good starting point, as they have the diagrams, knowledge, and ability to order the parts needed.

Several members have similar parking clearances., so your question might enlist other solutions.

He57mi

Reaction score
Bro why not try some oem parking sensors? I have the same worry as yours and I was thinking install some oem sensors on front.

Phiefer

Reaction score
I was amazed to find out when i drive in my garage forward, i can activate the rear backup cam and watch the garage door track get cleared, knowing i can close the door and maximize the room in front of my truck.

I think the forward cam on mine is part of the 4 cam 360 view. I like using my backup cam for determining my garage entry depth.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw a solar backup wireless camera system for sale (Costco, I think?) that had a camera built into the top of a license plate frame with an iPhone 6 size screen unit that can be somehow mounted on dash. If you mounted the plate frame on front of rig it would give you a standalone front camera setup all wireless and not intrusive to vehicles wiring. Just a thought for a solution .

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
We are have hope customtronix is working on this now they told me a few weeks. Just send them an email asking the status on this. I let everyone know here once they are done,.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We are have hope customtronix is working on this now they told me a few weeks. Just send them an email asking the status on this. I let everyone know here once they are done,.
I use the customtronix Rax Jailbreak in my Hellcat and it works great. Not only does it give me the front cam but the Apple TV is icing on the cake.

caseman47

Reaction score
I saw a solar backup wireless camera system for sale (Costco, I think?) that had a camera built into the top of a license plate frame with an iPhone 6 size screen unit that can be somehow mounted on dash. If you mounted the plate frame on front of rig it would give you a standalone front camera setup all wireless and not intrusive to vehicles wiring. Just a thought for a solution .
I have this as a front camera on my ram and mounted the little screen on the dash where the 12v plug is located. I wish it intergrated into the Uconnect system but it’s clean gets the job done.

azzx

Reaction score
Any one has been able to install the OEM front camera and have it work with UConnect?
I talked to my dealer and he said this can only be done from the factory

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Any one has been able to install the OEM front camera and have it work with UConnect?
I talked to my dealer and he said this can only be done from the factory
CURRENTLY, it is only done in the factory. At some point, someone will figure out how to do it. It's only parts, cable, and software upgrade. We're the most innovative nation on earth...someone will jailbreak this thing...ha ha.

Primosp83

Reaction score
I am patiently watching this threat to see when that jailbreak happened. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I happened to message zAutomotive, maker of the Tazer DT (in the other group buy thread) and there's an untested option for two new AV inputs to the Uconnect system. They will be aiming to test this soon on a 2019 1500's Uconnect system soon.... so fingers crossed, that'll be a reason for the Tazer.

Other than that, thanks for the user experience above for the solar license plate cam from costco - i saw this and was on the fence; might as well be a good option for the front // quick swap to the boat trailer if it's waterproof?

Users who are viewing this thread