5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

K1135

Reaction score
I messed around with it some more, but nothing seemed to change anything. I’m guessing there is something in the radio programming itself that is different on the HD’s that allows it to work for them vs the 1500 non-nav.
Damn

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually ended up trading in the bighorn yesterday for a Laramie with pretty much everything I wanted, so I won't be able to mess with the non-nav anymore. Hopefully you are all able to figure it out and get it to work.

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
I actually ended up trading in the bighorn yesterday for a Laramie with pretty much everything I wanted, so I won't be able to mess with the non-nav anymore. Hopefully you are all able to figure it out and get it to work.
Damnit! Lol, thats one way to get it working!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damnit! Lol, thats one way to get it working!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I already enabled the softkey on the nav radio. Took overnight for it to show up but it’s there now. I hope the non-nav people can get it figured out.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
I'm new to this thread. Sharing my experience - I've installed a front camera into my 2019 Durango with 2020 UAQ head. As I remember, 2019 head uses pins 21/22 for cargo camera, and 2020 head switched to 23/24 (I swapped the head and couldn't understand why cargo camera stopped working, and Tazer support asked me to try different pins). Just used a cheap $30 camera from Amazon and enabled Cargo Camera through Tazer.
I was thinking about doing the same thing on my 2020 Rebel, but I've decided that I'm ok with just front parking sensors.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
I'm new to this thread. Sharing my experience - I've installed a front camera into my 2019 Durango with 2020 UAQ head. As I remember, 2019 head uses pins 21/22 for cargo camera, and 2020 head switched to 23/24 (I swapped the head and couldn't understand why cargo camera stopped working, and Tazer support asked me to try different pins). Just used a cheap $30 camera from Amazon and enabled Cargo Camera through Tazer.
I was thinking about doing the same thing on my 2020 Rebel, but I've decided that I'm ok with just front parking sensors.
It’s 21/22 for a 2020 Rebel, per mine and several others here. Do it!!! ;-)

bskubon

Reaction score
Using the Alfaobd, how long does it take before you see the cargo pick on the screen? I assume no problem enabling that without the camera installed? Just get what a blue picture? I.e. I plan on doing the software function first since that non-invasive, then doing the actual camera install when it gets a bit warmer outside.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Using the Alfaobd, how long does it take before you see the cargo pick on the screen? I assume no problem enabling that without the camera installed? Just get what a blue picture? I.e. I plan on doing the software function first since that non-invasive, then doing the actual camera install when it gets a bit warmer outside.
Yeah, you would get blue screen with cargo cam activated but no camera installed. Cargo cam soft key has always shown up for me right away once option enabled but could take a few key cycles.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just wish Tazer could make the camera come on when the front sensors activate. That would be awesome!
Yes would be cool. I spoke to them about being about to map the cargo cam as a hot key on steering wheel and they said it wasn't that easy but was working on it.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

As mentioned it might take a few key cycles or allowing the system to sleep for a while. When I enabled it I lost my backup camera softkey at first. After sitting overnight everything was back to normal and the cargo cam icon was there.

oldtimer

Reaction score
I saw a solar backup wireless camera system for sale (Costco, I think?) that had a camera built into the top of a license plate frame with an iPhone 6 size screen unit that can be somehow mounted on dash. If you mounted the plate frame on front of rig it would give you a standalone front camera setup all wireless and not intrusive to vehicles wiring. Just a thought for a solution .
I've been thinking the same thing.

Pw_ar

Reaction score
Has anyone put a video switch in so they could manually change the feed from CHMSL to FRONT cam? Seems like since it’s analog it shouldn’t be too big of a deal. Finding a good switch hiding spot may be the worst part on these trucks.

I have a 19 power wagon level one with the 12” nav unit. Does anyone know if there has been success with this on the PW? From reading other posts I know their stuff is slightly different for some settings.

tdb0021

Reaction score
Has anyone put a video switch in so they could manually change the feed from CHMSL to FRONT cam? Seems like since it’s analog it shouldn’t be too big of a deal. Finding a good switch hiding spot may be the worst part on these trucks.

I have a 19 power wagon level one with the 12” nav unit. Does anyone know if there has been success with this on the PW? From reading other posts I know their stuff is slightly different for some settings.

I've though about that. I think this would be a good option... I bet you could add a switch to one of those wires to make it work.

rrroscoe

Reaction score
Need some help. Can’t get the camera to work-2019 Rebel. 12” screen. Tried pins 21/22 & 24/25. Pins were set all the way in. Cargo cam enabled with Tazer; soft keys are present in the controls panel and when back up cam is on. Had the cam wires hooked directly to the battery ( just to make sure everything worked before I properly routed the wires). Rebooted the radio a couple of times. All I get is the blue screen of death!
Not sure where to go next or what to look for. Any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited:

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Need some help. Can’t get the camera to work-2019 Rebel. 12” screen. Tried pins 21/22 & 24/25. Pins were set all the way in. Cargo cam enabled with Tazer; soft keys are present in the controls panel and when back up cam is on. Had the cam wires hooked directly to the battery ( just to make sure everything worked before I properly routed the wires). Rebooted the radio a couple of times. All I get is the blue screen of death!
Not sure where to go next or what to look for. Any and all help is appreciated.
Hmmm. You’re absolutely sure the pins are all the way in? You’re sort of unhooking the red piece of the harness that locks the pins in, before inserting the new pins? You should feel them very much pop/lock into place when they’re really seated well.

Ummm...I guess also double checking that you’re in the correct spots.

Based on the history of everyone who’s done a Rebel here in this thread, including me, it should be 21/22. 21 being the signal, and 22 being the ground.

There’s also a thing for some guys where they get blue screen weirdness for a bit until they let the truck sit for a few hours. Some unexplained internal-ness resetting or something. So that might also be a thing, depending on if you’ve let it sit after being taken apart and being put back together.

rrroscoe

Reaction score
Hmmm. You’re absolutely sure the pins are all the way in? You’re sort of unhooking the red piece of the harness that locks the pins in, before inserting the new pins? You should feel them very much pop/lock into place when they’re really seated well.

Ummm...I guess also double checking that you’re in the correct spots.

Based on the history of everyone who’s done a Rebel here in this thread, including me, it should be 21/22. 21 being the signal, and 22 being the ground.

There’s also a thing for some guys where they get blue screen weirdness for a bit until they let the truck sit for a few hours. Some unexplained internal-ness resetting or something. So that might also be a thing, depending on if you’ve let it sit after being taken apart and being put back together.

Yes, pulled the red piece up. I could see the pins i put in ( from that side of the harness ), looked just like the existing ones.
First time I attempted this, I did lose some functions- let it sit- and all was good. The Tazer has the ability to reboot radio, this also brings back all functions. I rebooted each time I changed something.
Frustrating.

tdb0021

Reaction score
Yes, pulled the red piece up. I could see the pins i put in ( from that side of the harness ), looked just like the existing ones.
First time I attempted this, I did lose some functions- let it sit- and all was good. The Tazer has the ability to reboot radio, this also brings back all functions. I rebooted each time I changed something.
Frustrating.

There are only a few reasons this wouldn’t work. Need to be 100% certain the camera itself is wired properly and is working. Test on a TV before hand. Once you know for a fact it’s not a power or ground problem then you can move on to the pins in the connector. If it doesn’t work then the problem must be related to the pins in the connector.

rrroscoe

Reaction score
There are only a few reasons this wouldn’t work. Need to be 100% certain the camera itself is wired properly and is working. Test on a TV before hand. Once you know for a fact it’s not a power or ground problem then you can move on to the pins in the connector. If it doesn’t work then the problem must be related to the pins in the connector.
I’ll give that a shot, thanks

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll give that a shot, thanks
Assuming the camera is good, I'm suspecting an issue with the crimps on the rca connector. Perhaps wire pulled out of the crimp or broke or perhaps not making sufficient contact.

Users who are viewing this thread