5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Figured I’d chime in here, since this has been done for years on the 4th gens, and will be the same on the 5th gens. All you need to do is take a female RCA pigtail-
hXj5plg.jpg

Crimp these terminals onto the red and black wires- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/638551-2?qs=/ha2pyFadui2KO4i8tuEMRmwe3qqDO4dcOxrTo7CGec4q0rAKYyNkA==&tetid=MuZSUWoENz
Insert the red wire into pin 24 on the big radio connector, and insert the black wire into pin 25.
zTHPB6o.jpg
IjDl93R.jpg

Then use AlfaOBD and set VehConfig 1 CHMSL camera to YES. You’ll now have the cargo cam soft key active on the radio controls screen, and you can plug any aftermarket camera into the pigtail on the radio. For mounting, either come up with a clever solution, or buy the “RAM” grille nameplate that houses the front camera for the surround view equipped trucks. Just choose a camera that can be fabricated into the front camera mount. Supply the camera with fused ignition power, and ground, and you’re done.
What obd interface do you use

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What obd interface do you use
I always recommend the OBD link MX+. You can probably get by with cheaper ones for some settings, but sooner or later, they always seem to come across a setting that they’re not fast enough to change. I know for absolute certain that the MX is capable of every single setting change in the BCM, and can connect to every module.

1500DFW

Reaction score
@Jimmy07

Are you aware of any conflicts with using this mod (set as the cargo cam) along with the 2021 3rd brake light LED and digital mirror mod? Does the truck confuse the two cameras?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Jimmy07

Are you aware of any conflicts with using this mod (set as the cargo cam) along with the 2021 3rd brake light LED and digital mirror mod? Does the truck confuse the two cameras?

There won’t be any conflicts with the digital mirror camera because it is it’s own separate system disassociated from the radio and cargo camera inputs.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
There won’t be any conflicts with the digital mirror camera because it is it’s own separate system disassociated from the radio and cargo camera inputs.
Yeah I’m anxiously watching the other thread where it seems to be working for a 21’ but not a 19’/20’.

Last edited:

1500DFW

Reaction score
I’m guessing it probably has an issue with the ‘19s too then...

Brookelf

Reaction score
I did the 12 inch radio upgrade but still don't get the soft key to do the camera. I guess I read wrong I though as long as you had the 12 inch radio with NAV this would work but I guess the soft key is somehow tied to the BCM of the truck. Anyone who knows different or has got this to work on an upgraded 12inch please help. I came from a 8.4 non nav. Thanks

toyboy1980

Reaction score
I did the 12 inch radio upgrade but still don't get the soft key to do the camera. I guess I read wrong I though as long as you had the 12 inch radio with NAV this would work but I guess the soft key is somehow tied to the BCM of the truck. Anyone who knows different or has got this to work on an upgraded 12inch please help. I came from a 8.4 non nav. Thanks
If you’re referring to the Cargo Cam option, you’ll have to enable it with AlphaOBD or a TazerDT.

Brookelf

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you upgrade from the non nav to a 12” if you should be able to get the cargo cam button to show up? Mine is not showing up...any help?
Did you ever get yours to work?

toyboy1980

Reaction score
yes I enabled with alfa and the soft key never showed up its been 24 hrs.
Hmmm. Not sure. I don’t have any experience with AlphaOBD. Somebody like @Jimmy07 could probably help.

I used a TazerDT on my Rebel. On the Tazer, there’s a reboot option that usually seems to get changes pushed through.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s gotta be the BCM firmware, then. There’s 4 variants for 2019 DT BCM in AlfaOBD. Curious what your BCM hardware number is compared to a 12” or 8.4” with nav equipped truck. If you connect to your BCM and read the system ID, what is your ECU Part Number and what is the hardware number?

Brookelf

Reaction score
It’s gotta be the BCM firmware, then. There’s 4 variants for 2019 DT BCM in AlfaOBD. Curious what your BCM hardware number is compared to a 12” or 8.4” with nav equipped truck. If you connect to your BCM and read the system ID, what is your ECU Part Number and what is the hardware number?
682877182AH

tdb0021

Reaction score

Not sure if it's much help but I upgraded from a non nav to 12" and i was able to enable the soft key.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if it's much help but I upgraded from a non nav to 12" and i was able to enable the soft key.
I checked your BCM from a copy you sent me before. Yours is ECU part number- 68287182AH
Hardware number- 68287182AC
Brookelf has different hardware number- 68287182AH

tdb0021

Reaction score
I checked your BCM from a copy you sent me before. Yours is ECU part number- 68287182AH
Hardware number- 68287182AC
Brookelf has different hardware number- 68287182AH

So, does this mean the physical BCM does not support the cargo camera? I wonder what determines what BCM you get. I figured they'd all be the same.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, does this mean the physical BCM does not support the cargo camera? I wonder what determines what BCM you get. I figured they'd all be the same.
All the 2019 BCMs are the same part number (68287182AH), and physically the same. There are multiple different firmwares that get flashed to them, which is dependent on the build configuration, I’m guessing. I see a few limiteds and Laramies with 12” screen that have a hardware numbers ending in AG.

Brookelf

Reaction score
So for people looking to do this if your ECU hardware number is 68287182AH the cargo camera soft key will not show up when turn on with ALFA. There could be other hardware numbers that don’t work but this one is confirmed not to work. Thanks Jimmy07 for looking into for me. Glad I bought my parts on Amazon hassle free returns lol.

Users who are viewing this thread