5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have the same Natica camera installed and the setup is enabled through the Cargo Cam input on my 2019 5th Gen Rebel. It works But, I had two issues with it.

1st, being simply annoying and that is that the camera resolution does not match that of the 12inch screen so basically the image is almost 20% to 30% chopped off on the right. I am simply not getting the full horizontal viewing angle and I feel even diagonally I am not getting the full benifit as I feel even the image is also chopped off the screen.

2nd, being the reason I disconnected the camera from the power supply as I noticed it started flickering after running the truck for about 15 to 20 minute and when I reached to the camera's quick connect cable to confirm it is not loose, I was shocked how overheated it was and I disconnected it.

due to the two issues aforementioned, I tried two other cameras but the same exact issues remained so, I have not had the camera connected since almost 4 months as I didn't want to risk burning my truck.

I am wondering if any of you faced the any or both issues.
Do you have any pics what pins to use for the 19-21

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have the same Natica camera installed and the setup is enabled through the Cargo Cam input on my 2019 5th Gen Rebel. It works But, I had two issues with it.

1st, being simply annoying and that is that the camera resolution does not match that of the 12inch screen so basically the image is almost 20% to 30% chopped off on the right. I am simply not getting the full horizontal viewing angle and I feel even diagonally I am not getting the full benifit as I feel even the image is also chopped off the screen.

2nd, being the reason I disconnected the camera from the power supply as I noticed it started flickering after running the truck for about 15 to 20 minute and when I reached to the camera's quick connect cable to confirm it is not loose, I was shocked how overheated it was and I disconnected it.

due to the two issues aforementioned, I tried two other cameras but the same exact issues remained so, I have not had the camera connected since almost 4 months as I didn't want to risk burning my truck.

I am wondering if any of you faced the any or both issues.
I haven't noticed either issues on my '22. Do you have any pictures of your cropped video image?
What quick-connect was loose that you reached for? All my connections are out of reach.
My video is centered and is good as I expected for a cheap analog camera. I'm on my second camera now of a different brand and it works just as well.

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
Have you read through this thread? The info should be here.
I looked but some say there are different pins for diff models so was trying to get a good pic of the pin out so I can finish my install

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked but some say there are different pins for diff models so was trying to get a good pic of the pin out so I can finish my install
Most, if not all, of your questions are answered in this single post. I wouldn't bother reading all the noise before this post.
From here on is where it got interesting.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Uconnect 5 has a different interface than Uconnect 4. Most of the installation information in this thread is based on UC4. The most significant difference is the termination at the UC interface- the sockets are different as well as the termination and plug locations. Another user and I added some specific details for those with UC5.

UC5 started with MY 22.

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
Uconnect 5 has a different interface than Uconnect 4. Most of the installation information in this thread is based on UC4. The most significant difference is the termination at the UC interface- the sockets are different as well as the termination and plug locations. Another user and I added some specific details for those with UC5.

UC5 started with MY 22.
Ok. Does anyone have a pic of the uc4 plug and pins

70runner

Reaction score
For those who have depinned the radio connector, after removing the red lock on the radio harness connector do the pins release when pulled or ???

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those who have depinned the radio connector, after removing the red lock on the radio harness connector do the pins release when pulled or ???
No, you need to use a tool to depress the retaining clip on the socket.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thx, can you tell me where to locate the retaining clip ref the image?
View attachment 150506
The red arrow is pointing right at a retaining tab in an empty position.
The blue arrow points to where you would insert a needle in between that tab and the metal terminal. Once you get the needle in between the two, pry down on the plastic tab while pulling on that wire. (Note- I’m just pointing to a terminal in general, not necessarily the particular one you need to remove).
9CBAFCCB-E067-44D9-8CE9-2F9198D1BA2E.jpeg

70runner

Reaction score
The red arrow is pointing right at a retaining tab in an empty position.
The blue arrow points to where you would insert a needle in between that tab and the metal terminal. Once you get the needle in between the two, pry down on the plastic tab while pulling on that wire. (Note- I’m just pointing to a terminal in general, not necessarily the particular one you need to remove).
Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just read through all 31 pages, and still a little confused as a non-electrically minded newb!

I have a 2022 build Sport with 12" Connect and OE rearview tailgate camera. I've cross referenced all the part numbers on the Mopar website and from what I can see, the only camera available that mounts in the rear tailgate handle is a digital camera, part number 68144068AD which is the same as the camera used for the FRONT camera in all 1500s with the 360 surround system.

What I don't understand is, if my Connect system already accepts the signal from a rear facing digital camera, why couldn't I install the same OE camera in the front and use it as a cargo cam? My Uconnect is clearly configured to accept a digital video signal from a rear cam, so it should work on the front right?

Is the message that the front OE digital camera cannot be used pure speculation, or has anyone tried to use it as a cargo cam?

Hopefully that's not too much of a silly question!

Mart.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just read through all 31 pages, and still a little confused as a non-electrically minded newb!

I have a 2022 build Sport with 12" Connect and OE rearview tailgate camera. I've cross referenced all the part numbers on the Mopar website and from what I can see, the only camera available that mounts in the rear tailgate handle is a digital camera, part number 68144068AD which is the same as the camera used for the FRONT camera in all 1500s with the 360 surround system.

What I don't understand is, if my Connect system already accepts the signal from a rear facing digital camera, why couldn't I install the same OE camera in the front and use it as a cargo cam? My Uconnect is clearly configured to accept a digital video signal from a rear cam, so it should work on the front right?

Is the message that the front OE digital camera cannot be used pure speculation, or has anyone tried to use it as a cargo cam?

Hopefully that's not too much of a silly question!

Mart.
If you do not have surround view, then the backup camera on your truck is 04672850AB. It is digital, but it is different than the cameras used for the surround view system.
The radio has one digital camera input.
The BCM can only be configured to either the regular digital rear camera, or the surround view system.
All of the cameras for the surround view system connect to a camera processor (CVPM), then the CVPM sends everything to the radio’s digital camera input via that one connection.
In a nutshell, if you want to use the OEM front camera, you have to install the surround view system.

Reaction score
Hi Jimmy

Thx for the reply, that's super helpful.
In that case, if I just wanted to add the front camera, without the other cameras, could I not just install the CVPM and then plug the OE front camera into that, without bothering with the side ones?

Thanks,

Mart

Reaction score
Or could there be a way to split the single digital camera input that exists on my radio, so that it can receive two signals, instead of one? Kinda like you do with a double USB adapter on a single USB port?

St-na

Reaction score
Or could there be a way to split the single digital camera input that exists on my radio, so that it can receive two signals, instead of one? Kinda like you do with a double USB adapter on a single USB port?
Have a huge doubt, it may work. How the radio will understand which input to be shown on the screen? "The BCM can only be configured to either the regular digital rear camera, or the surround view system" .If You are considering CVPM, why not to build surround view? You only need 2 additional cameras.

Users who are viewing this thread