5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

Edmontonram

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking to enable the cargo camera on my 2020 1500, but have a question for the people that have already done this. When you put the truck in reverse are you able to select the cargo camera still? Does the cargo camera stay active until you put the truck in drive or does it default back to the reverse camera after a few seconds?

I am looking to enable the cargo camera as an input for a trailer back up camera but wanted to make sure that the cargo camera says active when selected.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

denestozser

Reaction score
I have read the posts but I did not fully understand if it is possible to install a front camera in my car 2019 Bighorn 8,4 non navi!

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
I have read the posts but I did not fully understand if it is possible to install a front camera in my car 2019 Bighorn 8,4 non navi!

Only way to find out is if you enable it using alfaobd. Some would say it works.

However, I my icon never showed up after enabling the the cargo camera on my 2019 8.4 non nav.

Brookelf

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully done this with a 2020 non-nav? Regardless of changing the settings in AlfaOBD, the soft key does not show up on my display.
The soft key appeared today after I updated my radio software. I had the camera parts that I had ordered installed them everything works perfectly.

Brookelf

Reaction score
How did you update the radio software on the non-nav version?
I had previously updated my non nav to 12 inch screen and had the same issue soft key would appear after turning on with alpha. I tied this over a year ago and today I updated the radio software and soft tab appeared after radio reboot.

bwade1

Reaction score
There won’t be any wires present in positions 21/22. Pry the red face of the connector off, insert the wires, the put the red terminal lock back on.
tried this. mine appears to have wires in 21 and 22. does anyone have a better picture of the wire side of the connector

golfishard

Reaction score
Ok got it working on mine. 22 1500 lonestar with the 8.4" UC5. Used the parts listed here and got some connectors from cskindt on here! Followed the instructions written by cskindt and pretty much got it on the first try. Not sure if it matters but I figured signal is red and common is black on the RCA adapter so that's how I plugged the pins. Power from a tapped fuse ( only in RUN) under the hood and ground to chassis. Ran wires through firewall at the hood release cable grommet. Just punched through with a screw driver and will put some silicone sealant on it later. Camera mounted with no shims under the A in grill. Used the included double sided tape with the nut. Pulled grill to make it easier to drill hole and mount camera. Depinning the connectors was easier with a Depinning tool but could prob use a paper clip or some piece of thin metal. Use it to push the new connectors in. The terminals are pretty small so make sure you don't flatten the crimps or else it won't fit. Ask me how I know xp. From start to finish maybe 3 hours but that's including pulling the grill and lots of back and forth trying to get the crimps right. Make sure to have extra connectors. And BE PATIENT DON'T FORCE ANYTHING. oh yeah trailer camera and aux set to yes in alfaOBD. After setting to yes, turn car off then on again and it started reading the signal from the camera on aux1. I don't have the 12" so I don't think I can rename the aux camera like cskindt did. Oh and cut the white wire on the camera cable.

20240130_000118.jpg

20240130_000130.jpg
20240130_000223.jpg
Last image shows that you can switch to the aux cam while looking at the rear view cam.

Arturo Chapoy

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have the same Natica camera installed and the setup is enabled through the Cargo Cam input on my 2019 5th Gen Rebel. It works But, I had two issues with it.

1st, being simply annoying and that is that the camera resolution does not match that of the 12inch screen so basically the image is almost 20% to 30% chopped off on the right. I am simply not getting the full horizontal viewing angle and I feel even diagonally I am not getting the full benifit as I feel even the image is also chopped off the screen.

2nd, being the reason I disconnected the camera from the power supply as I noticed it started flickering after running the truck for about 15 to 20 minute and when I reached to the camera's quick connect cable to confirm it is not loose, I was shocked how overheated it was and I disconnected it.

due to the two issues aforementioned, I tried two other cameras but the same exact issues remained so, I have not had the camera connected since almost 4 months as I didn't want to risk burning my truck.

I am wondering if any of you faced the any or both issues.
Hi, I just installed the "Front" camera and I have the same issue with my 2019 Laramie Sport 12in screen and Natika Camera, the image is just 80% of the front view and is most to the left side, the 20% of the right side is missing on the screen. If i leave the guide lines of the Natika Camera shows decentered in the screen. Anyelse with this issue found how to correct it?

I attached an image to simulate how it seen the camera view (upper image it shows how must view it and the below image how really shows.

Regards!

Attachments

• Front camera view.jpg
    Front camera view.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 65

Arturo Chapoy

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have the same Natica camera installed and the setup is enabled through the Cargo Cam input on my 2019 5th Gen Rebel. It works But, I had two issues with it.

1st, being simply annoying and that is that the camera resolution does not match that of the 12inch screen so basically the image is almost 20% to 30% chopped off on the right. I am simply not getting the full horizontal viewing angle and I feel even diagonally I am not getting the full benifit as I feel even the image is also chopped off the screen.

2nd, being the reason I disconnected the camera from the power supply as I noticed it started flickering after running the truck for about 15 to 20 minute and when I reached to the camera's quick connect cable to confirm it is not loose, I was shocked how overheated it was and I disconnected it.

due to the two issues aforementioned, I tried two other cameras but the same exact issues remained so, I have not had the camera connected since almost 4 months as I didn't want to risk burning my truck.

I am wondering if any of you faced the any or both issues.
Hi Rebellion... Did you can correct the decentered image issue on your screen?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi Rebellion... Did you can correct the decentered image issue on your screen?
Based on the pictures you show (I realize those are not your screen), I'm wondering if part of the lens is blocked. Do you have a photo of the front of your truck where the camera is?

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have a complete write up for 2022 laramie with uconnect5 12inch screen?
I’m about to do it to mine as well once I get a couple of other things done but if you start at page 29 and 30 it has all the information to do it for a 22 UC5 12”.

Noodiler

Reaction score
This is what’s on my ‘22, it says Front Camera because I renamed it in settings>camera

00edcb17f47b95d437f7718a75879011.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've read the 30+ pages and can't seem to find an answer.

It's my understanding that front camera might not work in 23+ models which is why many sellers remove the 23+ from their compatability list.

Is there a way to get this to work on a 2024 Rebel with UC5 and a 12" display?

From factory, it has a backup camera, and the UC5 shows both the back up camera when reversing as well as a button on the bottom half that says reverse camera.

Would appreciate any input. First time owning a truck and would appreciate some added front visibility when parking.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got all my wiring done today and everything seems to be working fantastic now just to mount the camera tomorrow and we should be all good to go! Thanks everyone for the detailed information on how to get this done.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got all my wiring done today and everything seems to be working fantastic now just to mount the camera tomorrow and we should be all good to go! Thanks everyone for the detailed information on how to get this done.
So I got finished with everything today and everything’s working great! I didn’t pull the entire grill out though. I put a little wedge ran the cable through and got a coat hanger and pulled it up through the top. Super happy with everything worked out really well thanks everyone for the write up and time.

Attachments

• IMG_5087.jpeg
    IMG_5087.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5086.jpeg
    IMG_5086.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5088.jpeg
    IMG_5088.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 30

AV41Medic

Reaction score
This is exactly what I want to do, Just add a front camera to my 23 Rebel. Now I just need to scroll back 33 pages to figure it out lol

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is exactly what I want to do, Just add a front camera to my 23 Rebel. Now I just need to scroll back 33 pages to figure it out lol
I can’t speak for 100% certainty but I would think the 23 would be the same as a 22 with a UC5. You can start on page 29 all other information is basically for older models.

tyanmax99

Reaction score
So does this front camera install actually work with the 2023 and newer? @Noodiler asked the question a few posts above but haven't seen anyone respond yet.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So does this front camera install actually work with the 2023 and newer? @Noodiler asked the question a few posts above but haven't seen anyone respond yet.
What I would do is look behind the Radio at the module and check if the blue connector is the same. If it is then yes it would be the same as a 22 UC5 I can’t say for 100% certain because I don’t have a 23 but I don’t know anything they changed from 22 to 23 on the UC5. It is super easy a total of 6 screws to look and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/