5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

Meodom

Reaction score
I finally had time to finish up the install.

The connector cavities for Video Signal 1 and Video Signal 2 were already populated in my truck. I decided to depin the terminals for Video Signal 1 and Video Common 1. NOTE: the pin out diagram is a FACE VIEW, you’re looking from the perspective of where the pins go into the sockets. You can look at the back side of the connector for the cavity number if you lose your reference.

I needed to make a depinning tool, so I took some safety wire and smashed it flat, then I ground down the sides until it fit into the terminal depinning opening. You can read the Molex Application Specification for details on how to release the intermediate secondary lock (ISL) and then how to depin the connector.

I also crimped the TE terminals using a generic 1mm width open barrel crimper. I folded the wire on the RCA receptacle since it seemed to be 26 AWG and I’m putting it into a 22 AWG terminal. There was a larger size opening in my crimper which I used to crimp the insulation crimp of the terminal.

I used my depinning tool to push in the terminals, closed the ISL, plugged everything back in. I provided power to my front camera from the engine bay fuse box. It’s a switched ignition fuse I tapped.

Here are the results:
6a5840851a72329e5a6975a94620dba9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello

What type of safety wire did you use to make a depinning tool? I've got everything done except the de-pinning. I ordered a kit from Amazon but none are small enough.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello

What type of safety wire did you use to make a depinning tool? I've got everything done except the de-pinning. I ordered a kit from Amazon but none are small enough.
Try going to a hobby store and find piano wire. You'll still have to file it flat, but it's pretty stiff.

kd908070

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have the same Natica camera installed and the setup is enabled through the Cargo Cam input on my 2019 5th Gen Rebel. It works But, I had two issues with it.

1st, being simply annoying and that is that the camera resolution does not match that of the 12inch screen so basically the image is almost 20% to 30% chopped off on the right. I am simply not getting the full horizontal viewing angle and I feel even diagonally I am not getting the full benifit as I feel even the image is also chopped off the screen.

2nd, being the reason I disconnected the camera from the power supply as I noticed it started flickering after running the truck for about 15 to 20 minute and when I reached to the camera's quick connect cable to confirm it is not loose, I was shocked how overheated it was and I disconnected it.

due to the two issues aforementioned, I tried two other cameras but the same exact issues remained so, I have not had the camera connected since almost 4 months as I didn't want to risk burning my truck.

I am wondering if any of you faced the any or both issues.
If you have a switch to cut off the power to the Camera, so it doesn't run all the time when you driving, it will take care of the overheat issue.

Rebellion Ram Qatar

Reaction score
Thank KD,
You are right, the Switching I have and does not let it overheat as it cuts off the power but at times when I am sand dunening it helps having the camera on, so I can see what I am about to face

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Figured I’d chime in here, since this has been done for years on the 4th gens, and will be the same on the 5th gens. All you need to do is take a female RCA pigtail-
hXj5plg.jpg

Crimp these terminals onto the red and black wires- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/638551-2?qs=/ha2pyFadui2KO4i8tuEMRmwe3qqDO4dcOxrTo7CGec4q0rAKYyNkA==&tetid=MuZSUWoENz
Insert the red wire into pin 24 on the big radio connector, and insert the black wire into pin 25.
zTHPB6o.jpg
IjDl93R.jpg

Then use AlfaOBD and set VehConfig 1 CHMSL camera to YES. You’ll now have the cargo cam soft key active on the radio controls screen, and you can plug any aftermarket camera into the pigtail on the radio. For mounting, either come up with a clever solution, or buy the “RAM” grille nameplate that houses the front camera for the surround view equipped trucks. Just choose a camera that can be fabricated into the front camera mount. Supply the camera with fused ignition power, and ground, and you’re done.
I've got everything going fine on all parts except the actual programming.
In AlfaOBD, I only see a "Topper CHMSL" that's not even a YES/NO option.
Is there some detailed instructions somewhere that I can follow?
I'm a prior custom automotive electrician and have read pages and pages of forums.....

kd908070

Reaction score
I've got everything going fine on all parts except the actual programming.
In AlfaOBD, I only see a "Topper CHMSL" that's not even a YES/NO option.
Is there some detailed instructions somewhere that I can follow?
I'm a prior custom automotive electrician and have read pages and pages of forums.....

1680905602945.png

kd908070

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie with the 12" UC4.0. What the pins should I connect the RCA connectors to? Red & Black.
I have read, a post mentions 24/25 and other post mentions 25/26, also 21/22. What is the correct pins for my truck?
Thank you

1680906217230.png .

1680906243627.png

Georgf

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie with the 12" UC4.0. What the pins should I connect the RCA connectors to? Red & Black.
I have read, a post mentions 24/25 and other post mentions 25/26, also 21/22. What is the correct pins for my truck?
Thank you
My Truck is the same, 21&22 works for me.

Attachments

• AA477AA5-EFF5-42B9-9815-D29319CCF5D1.jpeg
    AA477AA5-EFF5-42B9-9815-D29319CCF5D1.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 63

Georgf

Reaction score
Once I install the RCA cable to pin 21/22, give the Camera 12V power and enable the softkey via the App like the photo below. Is that all I need to do? Thanks
Yes. Camera button on screen may not appear immediately, but after a while.

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
I had seen some differences about 21/22 or 24/25

It seems prior to 2020 will be the 24/25
And 20-up is 21/22

Attachments

• IMG_1262.jpeg
    IMG_1262.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 86

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
Where is everyone pulling switched power for the front camera?

Here is a pic of the harness you connect to and if 2020 and up this is where 21 /22

Attachments

• IMG_1272.jpeg
    IMG_1272.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1273.jpeg
    IMG_1273.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
Anyone want to share what fuse you are powering the front camera with? I see that people are using switched power but wanted to know what fuse you are using for the switched power

Sohosys

Reaction score
32 pages of great information! Somehow I missed whether the cargo cam (UC4) or aux1 cam (UC5) stay activated after the softkey press with the vehicle in drive, or revert back to regular display after 8-10 seconds. Assuming activation using AlfaOBD and not Tazer.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
32 pages of great information! Somehow I missed whether the cargo cam (UC4) or aux1 cam (UC5) stay activated after the softkey press with the vehicle in drive, or revert back to regular display after 8-10 seconds. Assuming activation using AlfaOBD and not Tazer.
UC5 reverts just like the reverse cam.

Users who are viewing this thread