5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding front and rear parking sensors?

DanOTheManO

Reaction score
Not really sure why you guys are receiving the same errors... yes, you could have a bad module... things to check.. programming of the BCM, power and ground at module, can wires--twisted pair pinned properly and plugged into the proper location - can block... the truck isn't seeing the sensors once you programmed the BCM, does sound like a communication issue --- NO Power or NO CAN = NO Communication and Park Sense being unavailable...

-=FM45=-
FM45, I determined that I had the wrong sensors which completely my fault after going down the wrong path on ebay. I got sensors that have the right part numbers, installed them, cleared my faults and everything seemed to be good - no more faults and I no longer got prompts to service the front or rear park sense systems. However, I'm not getting any indication from any of the sensors that they detect anything. I set up some tests in front and behind the truck but I never got any indication that the sensors picked up anything.

My two thoughts about it are - either I didn't program something right or something is up with the sensors since they are cheap Chinese (I think) knockoffs I got from ebay. I did my programming with JScan so I had to try and translate some of the settings that you noted for AlphaOBD. I was thinking about going back and disabling and re-enabling the settings I changed to see if that would take care of it. If it doesn't I was going to go ahead and just get the factory sensors (at least the a rear set) to see if they worked plug-n-play without making any other modifications. I'm curious if there are any tests you know of to test out operation of the sensors before I try and swap them out.

Thanks - DanO

DanOTheManO

Reaction score
Order OEM. Better to be safe. I had no issues with the OEM ones. I just ordered the others. Yes, they are more expensive but my sanity is worth it!
igolf

Did you ever get your issues sorted out?

After getting the right part number versions of the sensors (but still cheap knock offs from ebay) my errors went away. Unfortunately, they still don't seem to be providing any indication of obstructions. So I might need to go ahead and do as you said and go with the OEM sensors. I'm going to reverify my programming and may order some sensors to test the rear first. If they work I'll go ahead and order the front sensors as well.

ACAPWER

Reaction score
FM45, thanks so much for all of the posts and information (as well as everyone else). I was able to go through everything and add the front and rear parking sensors for my 2022 1500 Laramie.

I've run into an issue that I'm hoping you or others on the forum can help me with. As noted by others on the forum, I went with the 68464879AG parking assist module due to the year of my truck. When I initially connected it (without updating the programming) I got a "service shifter" prompt. After doing some troubleshooting I was able to determine that my CAN bus + and - wires were backwards. After swapping them the "service shifter" prompt went away so I enabled several of the noted items using my JScan app in the computer. Now every time I start the truck I get a prompt that both the rear and front parking sensors are off and that they need to be serviced. The switches in my control switch assembly are lit up when starting the truck and when I attempt to toggle them to enable the front or rear sensors, they flash, then go solid again, and I'm prompted that they are off and need to be serviced.

The only additional testing I've done so far is to verify that I have 12V at the connector C1 connector for the park assist module as well as 12V at the front fascia wiring harness connector - I measured approximately 13V on the pins of the front connector associated with the gray/blue and gray wires. So I'm assuming that the park assist module is providing the necessary voltage for the parking sensors.

I haven't verified the 12V supply for the rear or done a point-to-point test of my wiring harnesses (which I was going to do next) but I figured I'd ask the question to see if anyone else had run into a similar problem.

For reference, I used factory wiring harnesses for the front and rear fascia as well as for the trim pieces. I used after market sensors, purchased the parking assist module (68464879AG) from ebay because it appeared to be unavailable from several mopar part suppliers, and I purchased the control switch assembly from ebay as well. In this process I also added in the trailer brake (the module was already in the truck but I didn't have the manual control switch and it wasn't enable in the computer). After enabling the brake controller in the computer I was able to control my trailer brakes through the manual switch and see the braking intensity being applied from the display - so at least I know that that new functionality worked from the new control switch assembly.

For the wiring harnesses, I made them using FM45's guide and input from other users on this forum with 21+ trucks. I was able to get the three connectors for the parking assist module from ebay as well so that I could complete the wiring harnesses. As noted above I'm using JScan for programming but it appears that most of the programming noted in FM45's write up are relatively easy to verify in JScan.
Hello all I’ve been dealing with this service shifter/Park sense sensor/Auto start disable! Light issue for months. I just recently discovered that ram Chrysler Jeep Dodge has issued a recall on the power control module (PCM). If you contact the dealer and give them your VIN they will conduct a software update on your vehicle. Please see the link provided Look for Vehicle Recalls | Official Mopar® Site

Reaction score
I'm also interested in doing this but from reading this thread it doesn't seems as straight forward... Unless I'm not understanding it completely

Quietpeen

Reaction score
I'm also interested in doing this but from reading this thread it doesn't seems as straight forward... Unless I'm not understanding it completely
what doesn’t seem straight forward? I made harnesses and added front and rear sensors and everything works as it should. I think the issue others have had is not buying oem sensors.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
I'm looking to do this on my '24 Rebel, but when searching for the C1-C3 connectors, it looks like these connectors come with wire and connectors and each connector is between $80-$100. Example: Genuine Mopar Wiring 68080557AA for sale online | eBay. Is this right? I would think you could just buy the actual connector.

Ryan
yea those are the mopar rebuild kits and they must be very proud of those kits with what they charge.. I believe that jimmy07 does make harnesses for this upgrade. Not sure on price but it would save you the hassle of making your own unless you are up for the challenge.

rtm03862iq

Reaction score
yea those are the mopar rebuild kits and they must be very proud of those kits with what they charge.. I believe that jimmy07 does make harnesses for this upgrade. Not sure on price but it would save you the hassle of making your own unless you are up for the challenge.
Thanks. I'll reach out to jimmy07.

Outdoorsman4x4

Reaction score
I have a 2023 Bighorn level 1 ...... I want to add front and back park sensors to my truck ......Is there anyone that would help me out here thanks

Outdoorsman4x4

Reaction score
Does anyone makes and sell the 3 wiring harness that goes inside the truck.......my truck didn't come pre-wired thanks

Outdoorsman4x4

Reaction score
Y'all , I need some help please I have a 2023 Bighorn 1500 DT trying to find the part number for the front and back wiring I've looked and looked I think there's like 6 or 8 different parts number for both and the same on the module and I haven't even try looking at the sensors..... I went to the dealership here in town and the parts guy couldn't figure it out either...... I already got the wiring for inside of my truck.....it's bad when the parts guy can't help you out..... I would appreciate any help thanks

Users who are viewing this thread