5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding front and rear parking sensors?

Reaction score
I searched and can't believe I couldn't find a post about this. I suppose most owners already have the parking sensors and there are some who hate them but my Ram does not have them. I'd like to add the front and rear parking sensors (6 front, 6 rear). I've researched the part numbers for the wiring harnesses and there are about 6 for the rear and 8 for the front. Has anyone added these sensors and if so, what was your build list?

jtothecruz

Reaction score
My BigHorn came with the lvl 1 package so ultimately I had to put on backup sensors. I found that the factory ones were too pricey and plus I would have to get charged by the dealer to get them flashed/ programmed so I ultimately went with the Amazon ones. They came with front sensors as well but I didn't bother installing them only the back ones got installed. The install was straight forward. They are not as nice as the factory ones but they get the job done as none will really know they are not factory ones.

NoMoFoMoCo

Reaction score
My BigHorn came with the lvl 1 package so ultimately I had to put on backup sensors. I found that the factory ones were too pricey and plus I would have to get charged by the dealer to get them flashed/ programmed so I ultimately went with the Amazon ones. They came with front sensors as well but I didn't bother installing them only the back ones got installed. The install was straight forward. They are not as nice as the factory ones but they get the job done as none will really know they are not factory ones.

Can you provide a link? How are they holding up?

jtothecruz

Reaction score
Can you provide a link? How are they holding up?
I used these. So far they are holding up well. They are a bit sensitive. They come in 8 so you can have 4 in the front and back but I only bother putting them in the back. I placed them in the same location the factory ones would go which is why they are a little tid bit sensitive but otherwise dead on point when something is way too close.

subar

Reaction score
My questions are, did you have to use longer extensions or where did you put the power unit? And why didn't you use that factory black plastic mounts under the bumper? If you did use the factory units did the dealer flash the truck for you? And cost? I researched and made up the parts list of the parts needed and it came to $463.88, not labor or dealer flashing.

FM45

Reaction score
I'm just finishing up this mod to mine, all OEM parts except for the 3 custom harnesses I had to make -- from module to factory plugs... if you have AlfObd, you won't need to make a trip to the dealer...

-=FM45=-

Yc7998

Reaction score
FM45 do you have a wiring diagram for the front sensors?

FM45

Reaction score
@Y--- as far as the wiring for the front, I bought the OEM wiring harness that goes from a factory plug out to the Fog lights / Front sensors... I believe all Level vehicles are pre-wired to a certain point.. for ex. the front is wired from a plug on interior then out to a plug behind the drivers front wheel well, and for the rear, it's wired from the plug under the drivers seat out to rear harness...
If any member wants to tackle this mod, I will be more than happy to supply part numbers, diagrams, and etc...

-=FM45=-

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have front and rear sensors on my Laramie, but they are turned off most of the time. I don't really need them for backing up, since there is a camera which helps than the annoying beeping and a graphic on the dic. I sometimes turn the front ones on if parking is tight though. To me, the 360 surround view cameras are more useful than the sensors. If it wouldn't leave me with empty holes in my bumpers I'd sell you mine LOL.

NoMoFoMoCo

Reaction score
@Y--- as far as the wiring for the front, I bought the OEM wiring harness that goes from a factory plug out to the Fog lights / Front sensors... I believe all Level vehicles are pre-wired to a certain point.. for ex. the front is wired from a plug on interior then out to a plug behind the drivers front wheel well, and for the rear, it's wired from the plug under the drivers seat out to rear harness...
If any member wants to tackle this mod, I will be more than happy to supply part numbers, diagrams, and etc...

-=FM45=-
Yes! I'm interested in trying this mod. Thanks for all your work

klemo

Reaction score
They have a couple of different wiring harnesses depending on if you have with/without “Keyless-go” or “auto park”. Why would that matter at all seeing as keyless-go doesn’t have anything to do with the parking sensors and auto park can be activated later on if you make those upgrades. It’s only like a $6-$7 between the options, but not sure really how they vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FM45

Reaction score
@K... It sounds like you are describing the rear harness.. the OEM rear harness, when equipped, will power the 4 or 6 parking sensors, the rear antenna for the keyless-go, not to mention the license plate lights and the trailer wiring... so ya it really does matter what harness you grab... If your vehicle is made for export, the harness will also carry the wires for the rear fog lights :)

-=FM45=-

klemo

Reaction score
You're right! Even the front sensors have different ones depending on rebel/led fog/auto park, but that does clear things up.

jgouldski

Reaction score
As promised -- The Write-up .... Be gentle :) Hope nothing is missed--

-=FM45=-
Hi, new member here! Geting my 2019 2500 6.4 from the used dealership next week, and I would love to add parking sensors! How would I go about getting all the correct part numbers? Also, I see the write up is for "Ram 1500 DT". How do I find out if my 2500 is a DT or otherwise? I am quite new to this and especially to this generation of Ram trucks. Thanks in advance!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi, new member here! Geting my 2019 2500 6.4 from the used dealership next week, and I would love to add parking sensors! How would I go about getting all the correct part numbers? Also, I see the write up is for "Ram 1500 DT". How do I find out if my 2500 is a DT or otherwise? I am quite new to this and especially to this generation of Ram trucks. Thanks in advance!
Your 2500 is not a DT. I'm not familiar with the chassis designation for heavy duty Ram trucks. Only the 5th gen 1500 is DT. You're welcome here, but you might find more appropriate HD information in the HD forum...

NCBACKCOUNTRY

Reaction score
I just want to do the fronts. I'm fine just using the camera for the rear. I already have alfaobd and Bluetooth thingy.

What would I need just to do the front sensors? Thanks a million for your time and help.

Last edited:

bigmike0629

Reaction score
I'm just finishing up this mod to mine, all OEM parts except for the 3 custom harnesses I had to make -- from module to factory plugs... if you have AlfObd, you won't need to make a trip to the dealer...

-=FM45=-
Can you provide a link to purchase the alfobd

Users who are viewing this thread