5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding front and rear parking sensors?

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Does anyone know the part # for the harness installed to the Park assist sensor 68464879AG?

comes from the front bumper to the driver side kick panel

for the front parking sensor harness.

2022 Ram TRX - level 1
The harness from the front bumper to right inside the fire wall is populated with the wires for the sensors. You need to make a harness with the proper terminals that will pin into the connector up by the firewall and then into the module 68464879AG

Reaction score
Do you happen to have part # or instructions on how to make this harness?

igolfdou18

Reaction score
I was wrong I did take a picture of the connector under the seat because I was trying to figure out how to "unlock" the pins. In the pic below you can see two circles. One is the pin locations. The other is a red tab. That tab has to be pushed toward the center of the connector. I don't know if it was required but with needle nose pliars I gently pulled the white cover up to the end of the pins. For all I know that needed to be done first to get the red tab to slide far enough, but maybe not. With that the pins slid it and snapped into place very easily.

Edit for removing this connector. On the cab side there are 3 nuts holding it down. This is not holding the connector sides together, it is just securing both connectors to the sheet metal. From below there are 3 nuts holding on a plastic guard. Once that is removed you will see the other side of the connector and can separate them.

View attachment 171825
Did you have to remove your seat to access this plug? I found a plug mounted just under the seat near the door but it looks different than the one pictured. It doesn't have a traditional connector. Looks like a wiring harness with an access cover that is zip tied in place on one side and lifts up. Trying to eliminate a bunch of extra work if I don't have to. I have the other two customer wiring harnesses completed. This is the last one I have to install.

igolfdou18

Reaction score
As promised -- The Write-up .... Be gentle :) Hope nothing is missed--

-=FM45=-
Really appreciate the write up. I am having difficulty locating the connector under the driver seat. I found one plug mounted to the floor near the driver door. It looks different than your illustration. Where should I be looking? Did you have to remove the seat to get to it?

FM45

Reaction score
@igolfdou18 --- which connector are you having issues with--- the yellow or the one under the rug of the drivers seat??

-=FM45=-

igolfdou18

Reaction score
@igolfdou18 --- which connector are you having issues with--- the yellow or the one under the rug of the drivers seat??

-=FM45=-
I disconnect the yellow one directly under the seat but that doesn't look like the one to attach too. I could not locate the one under the rug. However, I don't know if I am looking in the right place. The other two plugs were easy to locate. Did you have to remove your seat to access it easily.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Did you have to remove your seat to access this plug? I found a plug mounted just under the seat near the door but it looks different than the one pictured. It doesn't have a traditional connector. Looks like a wiring harness with an access cover that is zip tied in place on one side and lifts up. Trying to eliminate a bunch of extra work if I don't have to. I have the other two customer wiring harnesses completed. This is the last one I have to install.
yes you have to remove the seat and it’s a big plug and it located under the carpet where I have circled in the pic below

IMG_6078.jpeg

FM45

Reaction score
Nice pic Q... You can do it without removing seat, but yes ... removing it makes it so much easier....
Crawl under your truck and locate the main body harness that goes under your seat... it's covered with a plastic shield. I think once you find that, everything should make sense...

-=FM45=-

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Nice pic Q... You can do it without removing seat, but yes ... removing it makes it so much easier....
Crawl under your truck and locate the main body harness that goes under your seat... it's covered with a plastic shield. I think once you find that, everything should make sense...

-=FM45=-
man I couldn’t imagine doing that plug without removing the seat. And yes looking under the truck will help locate it.

igolfdou18

Reaction score
Yes. Jimmy07 shared the same directions. Really appreciate you guys. Just waiting for some sensors to come in for the front. There are 3 different sensors used. Not sure if they make a difference, but I really want the self parking to work.

DanOTheManO

Reaction score
FM45, thanks so much for all of the posts and information (as well as everyone else). I was able to go through everything and add the front and rear parking sensors for my 2022 1500 Laramie.

I've run into an issue that I'm hoping you or others on the forum can help me with. As noted by others on the forum, I went with the 68464879AG parking assist module due to the year of my truck. When I initially connected it (without updating the programming) I got a "service shifter" prompt. After doing some troubleshooting I was able to determine that my CAN bus + and - wires were backwards. After swapping them the "service shifter" prompt went away so I enabled several of the noted items using my JScan app in the computer. Now every time I start the truck I get a prompt that both the rear and front parking sensors are off and that they need to be serviced. The switches in my control switch assembly are lit up when starting the truck and when I attempt to toggle them to enable the front or rear sensors, they flash, then go solid again, and I'm prompted that they are off and need to be serviced.

The only additional testing I've done so far is to verify that I have 12V at the connector C1 connector for the park assist module as well as 12V at the front fascia wiring harness connector - I measured approximately 13V on the pins of the front connector associated with the gray/blue and gray wires. So I'm assuming that the park assist module is providing the necessary voltage for the parking sensors.

I haven't verified the 12V supply for the rear or done a point-to-point test of my wiring harnesses (which I was going to do next) but I figured I'd ask the question to see if anyone else had run into a similar problem.

For reference, I used factory wiring harnesses for the front and rear fascia as well as for the trim pieces. I used after market sensors, purchased the parking assist module (68464879AG) from ebay because it appeared to be unavailable from several mopar part suppliers, and I purchased the control switch assembly from ebay as well. In this process I also added in the trailer brake (the module was already in the truck but I didn't have the manual control switch and it wasn't enable in the computer). After enabling the brake controller in the computer I was able to control my trailer brakes through the manual switch and see the braking intensity being applied from the display - so at least I know that that new functionality worked from the new control switch assembly.

For the wiring harnesses, I made them using FM45's guide and input from other users on this forum with 21+ trucks. I was able to get the three connectors for the parking assist module from ebay as well so that I could complete the wiring harnesses. As noted above I'm using JScan for programming but it appears that most of the programming noted in FM45's write up are relatively easy to verify in JScan.

Last edited:

DanOTheManO

Reaction score
FM45, thanks so much for all of the posts and information (as well as everyone else). I was able to go through everything and add the front and rear parking sensors for my 2022 1500 Laramie.

I've run into an issue that I'm hoping you or others on the forum can help me with. As noted by others on the forum, I went with the 68464879AG parking assist module due to the year of my truck. When I initially connected it (without updating the programming) I got a "service shifter" prompt. After doing some troubleshooting I was able to determine that my CAN bus + and - wires were backwards. After swapping them the "service shifter" prompt went away so I enabled several of the noted items using my JScan app in the computer. Now every time I start the truck I get a prompt that both the rear and front parking sensors are off and that they need to be serviced. The switches in my control switch assembly are lit up when starting the truck and when I attempt to toggle them to enable the front or rear sensors, they flash, then go solid again, and I'm prompted that they are off and need to be serviced.

The only additional testing I've done so far is to verify that I have 12V at the connector C1 connector for the park assist module as well as 12V at the front fascia wiring harness connector - I measured approximately 13V on the pins of the front connector associated with the gray/blue and gray wires. So I'm assuming that the park assist module is providing the necessary voltage for the parking sensors.

I haven't verified the 12V supply for the rear or done a point-to-point test of my wiring harnesses (which I was going to do next) but I figured I'd ask the question to see if anyone else had run into a similar problem.

For reference, I used factory wiring harnesses for the front and rear fascia as well as for the trim pieces. I used after market sensors, purchased the parking assist module (68464879AG) from ebay because it appeared to be unavailable from several mopar part suppliers, and I purchased the control switch assembly from ebay as well. In this process I also added in the trailer brake (the module was already in the truck but I didn't have the manual control switch and it wasn't enable in the computer). After enabling the brake controller in the computer I was able to control my trailer brakes through the manual switch and see the braking intensity being applied from the display - so at least I know that that new functionality worked from the new control switch assembly.

For the wiring harnesses, I made them using FM45's guide and input from other users on this forum with 21+ trucks. I was able to get the three connectors for the parking assist module from ebay as well so that I could complete the wiring harnesses. As noted above I'm using JScan for programming but it appears that most of the programming noted in FM45's write up are relatively easy to verify in JScan.
Update: I did a complete point-to-point test from the C2 connector to the rear connector and from the C3 connector to the front connector. Everything toned/ohmed out leading me to believe that I don't have open connections. I didn't check for shorts on every other point in the connectors at the front and rear of the vehicle but I did check them against the other conductors that were associated with the parking sensors and nothing toned/ohmed out indicating a short. So I'm assuming at this point that I don't have a wiring issue.

igolfdou18

Reaction score
All,
I need some assistance too. I have a 23 Limited. Likely running into similar issues as DanOtheManO. When I turn on the front and rear park sense I get service required errors. Today, I double checked all pins to ensure they were in the proper place I didn't have any damaged wires. Everything was good. I also swapped the module as I originally purchased 68464879AG. That didn't help either. I also have module 68464880 because I added the extra components to do the parallel and perpendicular parking assist. I installed all six sensors on the front and back. On the front, I have all OEM sensors except two of part # 6MK25TZZAA. On the back, I purchased all six from eBay. Both front and rear wiring harnesses are OEM. @Jimmy07 made the 3 wiring harness for me the park sense module for me. going to review all my settings in the BCM tonight. Just curious if anyone has completed this on a new model or ran into similar issues as me and what they did to resolve. Thanks in advance to anyone who could help..

igolfdou18

Reaction score
Here are some phots of the errors I am receiving and the settings I have in the system.

Attachments

• active park sense not available.jpg
    active park sense not available.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 12
  • electronic settings .jpg
    electronic settings .jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 12
  • electronic settings .jpg
    electronic settings .jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 11
  • error for selecting park sense.jpg
    error for selecting park sense.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 9
  • front park sense not available.jpg
    front park sense not available.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 10
  • park sense error.jpg
    park sense error.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 10
  • rear park not available.jpg
    rear park not available.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 10
  • service required park sense.jpg
    service required park sense.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 11

DanOTheManO

Reaction score
As promised -- The Write-up .... Be gentle :) Hope nothing is missed--

-=FM45=-
Hey FM45, thanks for putting this together. I was able to follow it and get everything installed. Unfortunately, I've run into an issue I'm not sure how to troubleshoot. I'm getting a prompt that both the rear and front parking sensors are off and that they need to be serviced. The switches in my control switch assembly are lit up when starting the truck and when I attempt to toggle them to enable the front or rear sensors, they flash, then go solid again, and I'm prompted that they are off and need to be serviced. I've done point-to-point wiring verification from the connectors at the parking sensor module to the factory wiring harnesses that I added at the front and rear fascia. I also have verified that I have 12V at the front and rear connectors when the parking sensor module connectors are plugged in and the vehicle is started. So it seems as if the parking module is providing the necessary voltage to the front and rear and I know that the wiring is good between each location as well. I had to purchase the module from Ebay because at the time they were out of stock. So I'm assuming that my first step should to see if I can get a new module but since I have 12V at the front and rear I figured that the module was probably good. Any ideas?

FM45

Reaction score
Not really sure why you guys are receiving the same errors... yes, you could have a bad module... things to check.. programming of the BCM, power and ground at module, can wires--twisted pair pinned properly and plugged into the proper location - can block... the truck isn't seeing the sensors once you programmed the BCM, does sound like a communication issue --- NO Power or NO CAN = NO Communication and Park Sense being unavailable...

-=FM45=-

igolfdou18

Reaction score
@Jimmy07 helped me troubleshoot using alpha obd. Here is a summary of where I am at now and what I actions I should take next to troubleshoot further. Open to any and all suggestions.

Attachments

• Fault List with Next Steps.jpg
    Fault List with Next Steps.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 10

DanOTheManO

Reaction score
@Jimmy07 helped me troubleshoot using alpha obd. Here is a summary of where I am at now and what I actions I should take next to troubleshoot further. Open to any and all suggestions.
I checked my error codes with JScan today and I had several similar error codes that you have for the sensors, but I don't have any of the other codes. In total I had 10 codes - one for each of the 10 sensors that I have installed. I'm not trying to get the parallel and perpendicular parking setup so I didn't have any codes for the 7th or 12th sensors (which I believe are the two missing from the rear). All of the sensors that I ordered were from ebay and it appears (after double checking out what I purchased) ... that I have the wrong sensors, just as the app seems to indicate. I'm going to order the right sensors and see if that takes care of my problem. I'd be curious if your short circuit problems are causing some of the other errors that you are getting.

igolfdou18

Reaction score
I checked my error codes with JScan today and I had several similar error codes that you have for the sensors, but I don't have any of the other codes. In total I had 10 codes - one for each of the 10 sensors that I have installed. I'm not trying to get the parallel and perpendicular parking setup so I didn't have any codes for the 7th or 12th sensors (which I believe are the two missing from the rear). All of the sensors that I ordered were from ebay and it appears (after double checking out what I purchased) ... that I have the wrong sensors, just as the app seems to indicate. I'm going to order the right sensors and see if that takes care of my problem. I'd be curious if your short circuit problems are causing some of the other errors that you are getting.
Order OEM. Better to be safe. I had no issues with the OEM ones. I just ordered the others. Yes, they are more expensive but my sanity is worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread