5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC - does anyone have a truck that blows ice cold?

turkeybird56

Reaction score
FWIW, I just picked up the September 2020 issue of Consumer Reports Used Car Buying Guide (ISSN 1530-3267) and in the rating for 2019 Ram 1500, under category Climate System, the Ram has a Dark Green* symbol, meaning "much better than average."

*Models that score a DARK RED DOT are not necessarily unreliable, but suffer a higher rate of problems than the average model. Similarly, models that score a DARK GREEN DOT are not necessarily problem-free, but had relatively few problems compare to other models. Because problem rates in some trouble spots are very low, we do not assign a DARK RED DOT or an ORANGE DOT unless the model's problem rate exceeds 3 percent. If a problem rate is below 2 or 1 percent, it will be assigned a LIGHT GREEN or a DARK GREEN DOT respectively.

Climate system problems reported to CR appear to be 1% or less of the reporting population for 2019 Ram (DT) 1500.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036282 miles.

Me thinks they have not rode in any 2019 dt's LOL

PostPremium

Reaction score
FWIW, I just picked up the September 2020 issue of Consumer Reports Used Car Buying Guide (ISSN 1530-3267) and in the rating for 2019 Ram 1500, under category Climate System, the Ram has a Dark Green* symbol, meaning "much better than average."

*Models that score a DARK RED DOT are not necessarily unreliable, but suffer a higher rate of problems than the average model. Similarly, models that score a DARK GREEN DOT are not necessarily problem-free, but had relatively few problems compare to other models. Because problem rates in some trouble spots are very low, we do not assign a DARK RED DOT or an ORANGE DOT unless the model's problem rate exceeds 3 percent. If a problem rate is below 2 or 1 percent, it will be assigned a LIGHT GREEN or a DARK GREEN DOT respectively.

Climate system problems reported to CR appear to be 1% or less of the reporting population for 2019 Ram (DT) 1500.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036282 miles.
Because most of the country doesn't reside in continuous triple-digit heat with high humidity. Those of us that do have voiced our complaints and posted photos to prove that RAM does not match up to other auto makers AC systems.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because most of the country doesn't reside in continuous triple-digit heat with high humidity. Those of us that do have voiced our complaints and posted photos to prove that RAM does not match up to other auto makers AC systems.

Thats why I always laugh when certain members on here try to come up with some technical explanation about using auto, and the dual zone blah blah blah to excuse the fact that the AC in these trucks sucks! I’ve owned more new trucks than I can count and have lived in much hotter places than I do now where I bought my new 2019 Ram. I have never experienced getting into any of my new trucks in 90 deg heat and you literally feel like the AC doesn’t even work. That’s what owning the 5th gen ram is like until I discovered KcRay’s mod which was a life saver. I was embarrassed to have anyone ride in my new 5thgen ram before I did the AC hack, it was that bad. Getting into a heat soaked truck with inside temps welll over 110 degrees and having to wait 10 minutes before 53 deg temps start coming out of the vents is a joke. I could run an errand 15 minutes from work or the house and never feel comfortable in my truck. That’s pathetic! Thankfully the work around with the AC hack makes the truck enjoyable to drive.

PostPremium

Reaction score
Thats why I always laugh when certain members on here try to come up with some technical explanation about using auto, and the dual zone blah blah blah to excuse the fact that the AC in these trucks sucks! I’ve owned more new trucks than I can count and have lived in much hotter places than I do now where I bought my new 2019 Ram. I have never experienced getting into any of my new trucks in 90 deg heat and you literally feel like the AC doesn’t even work. That’s what owning the 5th gen ram is like until I discovered KcRay’s mod which was a life saver. I was embarrassed to have anyone ride in my new 5thgen ram before I did the AC hack, it was that bad. Getting into a heat soaked truck with inside temps welll over 110 degrees and having to wait 10 minutes before 53 deg temps start coming out of the vents is a joke. I could run an errand 15 minutes from work or the house and never feel comfortable in my truck. That’s pathetic! Thankfully the work around with the AC hack makes the truck enjoyable to drive.
That's why I always laugh when those same members refuse to post a pic of their objectively verifiable vent temp. Instead going with the "it's good enough for me" so there obviously isn't a problem. RamCares has acknowledged the issue, so the deniers can just enjoy their membership in the Flat Earth Society.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Flat earth, hmm, wonder why some PPL not fall off, LOL. The AC as so many and I have posted is OK, but nothing special. I have found if I run the vehicle well, and I keep AC on Auto with 61 degrees, after like 5 miles my rear center vent temps go from 47.2 to 59, though front be 50-57. But, it is what it is. I do have a clamp and a small piece of material in the truck to put clamp on in August when the temps stay over 100 degrees here every day. POST and COLORADO R correct, it a shame the ride is so nice in so many ways to have such a poor performing AC. And believing CR, roflmao, they been a joke for years, all IMHO.....

POST: I posted rear center vent temp Pic in post 430. The front vents R ALWAYS warmer, hee hee.

Rototerrier

Reaction score

Regards,
Dusty

Anyone here reported their climate system issues to consumer reports? I have not, and I would assume no one else has either.

Not sure how reliable their surveys are. No one's ever called me to ask.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Consumer reports is so not worth paying any attention to. You have to pay to be a member to then contribute. Its such a small sample of whats really going on with anything!

PostPremium

Reaction score
Consumer reports is so not worth paying any attention to. You have to pay to be a member to then contribute. Its such a small sample of whats really going on with anything!
They buy products and independently test them. I find their results informative. Not sure why you wouldn't want to pay attention to them. In fact, their road test rates Ram well above other truck makers.

blackopsram

Reaction score
I know we've heard from those with AC issues but is there anyone that does not have an issue with the AC? Their truck blows ice cold air similar to other vehicles they've owned when it's warm/hot.

I don’t really have any issues with mine. During the summer months, she keeps nice and cool inside. I’ve actually had to turn it down a little sometimes because it became a little chilly in the cab.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I keep mine set at 75.

I do not have the sun/pano roof, which I had In my grand Cherokee and I felt that it was not as insulted as the truck without one.

FLArebel

Reaction score
If you haven't done the A/C hack, heater core shut of valve, I highly recommend it

View attachment 63583
Which valve did you end up using? I just purchased a black rebel down in Florida. I have full intentions of “hacking” my AC as it is horrible. Just trying to decide between the manual valve (ever flow) or the 12V solenoid valve that a few have discussed.

GARebel19

Reaction score
No problems with my AC. It's been 90's in GA and I bought it last summer when it was in the 90's and it has always cooled down my truck like I would expect . No I have not checked the temperature at the vents and I don't have a gauge or desire to do so. It feels every bit as cold as my 2019 Ford company vehicle and the Tahoe I traded to buy the Rebel. It sucks some of you have this problem but it's not everyone.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t really have any issues with mine. During the summer months, she keeps nice and cool inside. I’ve actually had to turn it down a little sometimes because it became a little chilly in the cab.
Liar! You haven't posted vent temperatures and your sense of what is cool is super-skewed towards an inferno. How dare you post that drivel here!

:ROFLMAO:

If you didn't get it, you really need to read a bunch of the other posts ;)

Nibis

Reaction score
Which valve did you end up using? I just purchased a black rebel down in Florida. I have full intentions of “hacking” my AC as it is horrible. Just trying to decide between the manual valve (ever flow) or the 12V solenoid valve that a few have discussed.

3/4 Everflow, but a solenoid would be really nice too

1595941929687.png

Nibis

Reaction score
FYI, once you have the valve installed, don't run it in Auto, just A/C Temp set to LO

kenthorkveen

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie works pretty good.. with having a dark colored truck, I know it’s going to take a few minutes to cool down when it’s 100 degrees outside.. but when it cools down, I have to bump it up to 73-75 because it’s too cold..

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/